New Star Wars Movie at DTD

jghra

Mouseketeer
We will be at Disney when the new Star Wars movie comes out next month.
We are big Star Wars fans (not as big as BIG Disney Fans but a distant second) :rotfl2:
and would normally not go to the movies while on vacation, but we are making an exception this trip.

Anyway you can go to
http://www.amctheatres.com/

and preorder Star Wars tickets. Just wanted you all to know in case this is of interest to you!!
Pleasure Island 24 is at ZIP code 32830

"G"

We can't wait to see it at Pleasure Island either. We were there for the opening of Episode I a few years ago and it was a real hoot. Lots of the audience dressed in character for the show.

We arrive May 19 which is opening day and will see it sometime mid-week. Hope it's a great show since it's the last one.

Now that would be a blast to go and see it when we are down for Star Wars Weekend the first weekend in June. I am hesitant to buy tickets for the whole family though, because I have heard that even though they are promoting it to kids, it really isn't a kids movie (much more violent and dark than the pervious movies). My 5 year old is DYING to see it with me, but I am so torn....argh!!!

thanks for the info!

Thanks for posting this as I hadn't thought about pre-ordering tix. We'll actually be at DL for the 50th on Star Wars opening weekend and hope to see it there at DTD.

lllovell said:
Now that would be a blast to go and see it when we are down for Star Wars Weekend the first weekend in June. I am hesitant to buy tickets for the whole family though, because I have heard that even though they are promoting it to kids, it really isn't a kids movie (much more violent and dark than the pervious movies). My 5 year old is DYING to see it with me, but I am so torn....argh!!!

thanks for the info!

Yes, I believe it will be rated PG-13 for violence.

lllovell-

This is going to be a very violent movie with a lot of death and the return of the dark side to the forefront. I have read the book and I don't know how it is not an "R". I heard it originally was an "R" and George Lucas didn't want any movie in the series to be rated above "PG-13". This is the first "PG-13" and the fact that it was an "R" and is now "PG-13", I assume it is on the "R" side of the "PG-13" rating more than the "PG" side. If you are concerned, I would wait until after you see it before you take your 5 year old.

Copper3

Copper3 said:
lllovell-

This is going to be a very violent movie with a lot of death and the return of the dark side to the forefront. I have read the book and I don't know how it is not an "R". I heard it originally was an "R" and George Lucas didn't want any movie in the series to be rated above "PG-13". This is the first "PG-13" and the fact that it was an "R" and is now "PG-13", I assume it is on the "R" side of the "PG-13" rating more than the "PG" side. If you are concerned, I would wait until after you see it before you take your 5 year old.

Copper3

Thanks Copper. I have pretty much decided that is what I am going to have to do. I realize that the story line has to be incredibly dark for all of it to fit together. I also have heard a few spoilers that really concern me (like the fate of the little padiwans). I was thinking of purchasing the book as well, but didn't want to spoil it for myself. Also, I have read those screen plays before and not everything is included in the movie that is included in them, although they are fairly close to accurate.

Pssst....I don't think this is a spoiler since we all know where things stand as of "Star Wars" (i.e. Episode 4).

In Episode 3...EVERYONE DIES!!!!!!

(Well, not quite everyone, but if you go through the cast of characters, I think you get the idea.)

My 4yo son is already a Star Wars junkie, but I just know there is no way I can take him to see it. At this point my only hope is that I might be able to slice 'n dice the DVD version of the movie once it's released.

If I'm remembering correctly, George Lucas himself said that he didn't think the movie was appropriate for even a 6-7 year old.

I have the exact same conversation yesterday with someone. He said the same thing, that he hopes he will be able to make a playable movie for his 5 year old once the DVD is released later this year. My son is going to be crushed, but I won't let him go until I have seen it for sure (and probably not even then)

LOL @ your non-spoilers.....well duh - good point! lol I have talked to my son about the fact that almost ALL of the Jedi die. We also watch the cartoon on Cartoon Network often and he has seen Grevious and has a general understanding of most of it, but that doesn't mean he is ready for it on the big screen.

There was much violence in the older movies as well, but not a lot of blood or gore ro general evilness that has to come out in this one. We have even had talks about why someone would "turn to the Darkside" which somewhat surprised me, but was an interesting conversation. He has seen all the older movies MANY times (and they might not have been totally appropriate either in some places, but it didnt seem to phase him). Guess we will all settle for the Star Wars Weekend for our fix this year and then see what the movie holds.

I didn't want to say anything that happens in my last post. Normally, I wouldn't have bought the book but I am currently unemployed and I really wanted to know how everything is tied together. I wanted to see if there are any inconsistencies with the later movies. Lucas did a very good job tying up the loose ends and this will be a very entertaining movie but not one for the younger audience. I won't comment on the fate of the Jedi or padawans because I may give something away. As for why someone would turn to the dark side, well, the movie will hopefully show it's easier than you would think. It would have been great if a PG version had been made for the younger audience and that would be good for the DVD/video market. Some of what is in the book may not make it to the screen because that happened in Episode 2 - the book described when the tusken raiders (sand people) kidnapped Shmi Skywalker and the attempted rescue by Clete Lars in graphic detail and that didn't make it to the film.

Thanks for starting this thread. I can't wait for May 19. I go the first show in the morning because the midnight show is always sold out and people dress up (I get the guy with the Boba Fett mask directly in front of me every time, LOL) and clap throughout the movie - yes, clapping for every character/new sequence does bother me. Also, the first show in the morning is a matinee and is not overly crowded - usually about 2/3 of the theatre full.

I just got back from Episode 3 and it was incredible! It is definitely worth seeing even for people who don't like Star Wars. Only Episode 4, the original, is better and I'm not sure if that's even the case. I need to think about that, still in processing mode. It was not as violent as I thought it would be, but was still pretty violent. That may be because I read the book. It looks like it was very trimmed down as the book was much more graphic. A lot of dialogue was changed and some scenes looked like they were filmed from different angles and the tamest angle is what is in the theatre version of the movie. I would not hesitate to take a true Star Wars fan to see it even if they are under 13, as long as they know and can take some violence. I am going again at 4:30 today with Casey, my niece, so I will watch a little closer at the violence. I'll give an update after I see it a second time.

Copper3

Copper - thanks for the report! I swear I can't WAIT to see it!

I am still hoping against hope that it will be ok for my 5 year old and I to go see it in a few weeks at DTD when we are there for Star Wars weekend. It would mean I get to see it twice - woohoo! :cool1:

lllovell,

If your 5-year-old is a true Star Wars fan I wouldn't stop him from seeing it. Casey is 11 and she only looked away in two spots and one of them I was surprised about. In the few spots I thought she should look away I said, "if you want to look away now go ahead." She took me up on my offer on one of those, but of course curiosity then took over and she peaked through her fingers to see what was going on and when she realized it wasn't that bad she uncovered her eyes. She was a little afraid of Darth Sidious which is what surprised me. After thinking about it I realized he looked a little like a vampire/ghoul in spots, something that didn't faze me at all the first time. That was about the only thing we talked about in the car ride home other than Luke and Leia. As far as kids at the movie, the theatre was filled with them, many much younger than Casey. There were a lot of booster seats being handed out. Also, the theatre was not sold-out for either the 10AM or the 4:30PM showings. I didn't expect it at the 10AM, I mean most people are at work or school. I thought the 4:30PM would have been sold-out since most kids would go after school. The theatre was about half full for the 10AM show and about 3/4 full for the 4:30 show. If I were you I would definitely go see it at DTD especially during Star Wars weekends. When I'm in WDW for the Member Cruise I hope to be able to see it if it's still playing because I'll always remember seeing a Star Wars movie at WDW.

Copper3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter