New Silestone quartz countertop - Home Depot?

bballmom56

DIS Veteran
We are updating our kitchen with a new countertop (to replace our Brady Bunch orange formica, yay!), cooktop and range hood. We are keeping our cabinets as they are all wood, very well made and we like the design.

We have chosen Silestone quartz and gotten a quote from Home Depot to remove the old countertop and install the new. We did not want to risk taking out the old one ourselves as we don't want to damage the cabinets.

I am going to get a few estimates from some smaller local businesses, but has anyone else used HD for a project like this? Did you find their price above or below other contractors? And, most importantly, did they do a good job and were you happy with it? We have used their services for a carpet installation and a floor installation and were very pleased. Just a bit nervous on a project this expensive.

We bought a Silestone counter top from HD about 5 years ago and had them install it. Ours is an old home with a small kitchen and the counter was just a straight run with the sink somewhat in the middle (the other, smaller countertop was wood block, which we kept).

HD used contracters to do the installation, but we were required to remove the old counter top and sink (my very handy brother handled that). HD's contractors put the new counter top and separate 4" backsplash in, and we then had a plumber put the sink and faucet in. We supplemented the included 4" Silestone backsplash with a pretty tin backsplash that goes up to the cabinets.

The price from HD and the work by the contractors was decent. We have had no problems, and the counter top still looks like it is new. I LOVE how easy it is to take care of the Silestone.

We got our Silestone countertops thru our local Home Depot here in Western Mass. They used outside contractors from where they buy the countertop. We had a great experience and just love, love, love the Silestone. Only thing I recommend is getting rounded corners to avoid chips.

We are updating our kitchen with a new countertop (to replace our Brady Bunch orange formica, yay!), cooktop and range hood. We are keeping our cabinets as they are all wood, very well made and we like the design.

We have chosen Silestone quartz and gotten a quote from Home Depot to remove the old countertop and install the new. We did not want to risk taking out the old one ourselves as we don't want to damage the cabinets.

I am going to get a few estimates from some smaller local businesses, but has anyone else used HD for a project like this? Did you find their price above or below other contractors? And, most importantly, did they do a good job and were you happy with it? We have used their services for a carpet installation and a floor installation and were very pleased. Just a bit nervous on a project this expensive.

We had our Silestone done by Home Depot maybe 3 years ago. They did a fine job. They sub it out so all experiences could be different. We are happy with our choice and the price was right.

We got our silestone from Home Depot several years ago. Home Depot installed the counter tops but we hired a contractor to remove the old counters and install the proper base for the new counters. He also installed the sink and backsplash. I LOVE my silestone counters. They look great even though its been 7 years. I would definitely use Home Depot again.

We've gotten Silestone from Home Depot twice. We replaced cabinets as well and installed those ourselves so they only had to measure and install. Overall I found it better priced than places that only did counter tops and was happy both times. You will LOVE Silestone. :thumbsup2 I agree about getting the rounded edges.

Wow, that's great to hear! Thanks everyone! That makes me feel good about the choice of the Silestone. And it's good to hear the positive experiences with the HD installation.

aggiemomx3 ~ you mentioned installing a proper base for the new counter. Do you know what that involved? I will have to ask if that is included with our quote.

We got our silestone from Home Depot several years ago. Home Depot installed the counter tops but we hired a contractor to remove the old counters and install the proper base for the new counters. He also installed the sink and backsplash. I LOVE my silestone counters. They look great even though its been 7 years. I would definitely use Home Depot again.
Oh yeah, forgot about the base, DH did that as well.

When the old counters were removed, there wasn't a base left. They put down plywood and the Silestone fit over that. We got the rounded edges too on the Silestone.

When the old counters were removed, there wasn't a base left. They put down plywood and the Silestone fit over that. We got the rounded edges too on the Silestone.

Oh ok, thanks. I will check with HD to see if that's included since they are doing demolition and installation.

The "rounded" edges - we chose what they call "eased" edge that is included in the cost. Any other edge like bullnose was an extra cost. The kitchen designer showed us a display model that she said was the eased edge and it seemed rounded enough.

We did not pay extra for the edging we got, so it's probably the same as what you're getting. Not really 'rounded', but the straight edge is sanded down so no sharp edges.

Like stated before Home Depot doesn't do any of the work it is all subbed out to local contractors. So the service you get will vary.

What I can about the contractors is they will do a good job as to many complaints/problems will have them removed from being a Home Depot contractor. And having this is a big deal as Home Depot is a great way to get clients.

I did mine from HD a few years back. If I had it to do over I would go with the granite as I like how granite shines and don't think the silestone shines as well. Other than that, I had no problems.

My parents had silestone put in by Home Depot contractors and had nothing but trouble. They have a pretty large kitchen and needed a few spaces cut out and had a few corners. They reversed the length and width of their Jenn-Air griddle thing so when the piece came, the hole for it was cut out the wrong way... that's about a $600+ piece of countertop that they messed up on! They drilled the holes for the sink knobs too close to the faucet so they don't turn all the way. They chipped a corner while installing it. They put a hole in the wall while bringing a piece of countertop up the stairs (bi-level house, so there's stairs up & down from the front door). It was a mess!! And to top it all off, my mom doesn't like the Silestone.

My parents had silestone put in by Home Depot contractors and had nothing but trouble. They have a pretty large kitchen and needed a few spaces cut out and had a few corners. They reversed the length and width of their Jenn-Air griddle thing so when the piece came, the hole for it was cut out the wrong way... that's about a $600+ piece of countertop that they messed up on! They drilled the holes for the sink knobs too close to the faucet so they don't turn all the way. They chipped a corner while installing it. They put a hole in the wall while bringing a piece of countertop up the stairs (bi-level house, so there's stairs up & down from the front door). It was a mess!! And to top it all off, my mom doesn't like the Silestone.

How did your parents and HD handle these issues? Did they have to have a new piece cut since the part for the griddle was cut wrong? The same with the sink knob holes? And what did they do about the chip? These are some of my concerns - the what ifs and how they are handled by HD. If they measured wrong, I would think they would have to fix it to your parents satisfaction.

What doesn't she like about the Silestone?

Silestone likely requires you use an "authorized Silestone installer" in order for their manufacturing warranty to be valid, so check and make sure whoever you select qualifies. It not enough for the installer to just guarantee their workmanship, you want someone who is recognized by Silestone.

We actually had a crack develop in the solid surface countertops at our last house. Because we used an authorized installer, we didn't get into a contest about whether it was a material or installation problem, it was fixed without any problem or debate. FYI - they cut out a section of counter that was probably 6in.x18in. and put a new piece in...... you absolutely could NOT tell where they put the new counter in!

Thanks for the negative experiences too. It gives me more to research and think about.

I have read a few articles that some prefer the 2 cm over the 3 cm thickness. It looks like that with the 2 cm, a sheet of plywood is required under it and with the 3 cm, they said it is not required. Then with the 2 cm, they have to laminate extra material around the edge to make it proper. I have also read where it is a regional thing - 2 cm being popular in the west and the 3 cm being popular in the east.

I can't wait to be done with this! Too many choices and decisions! You're spending so much money, you want it to be right the first time.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest