New here. Does my offer make sense?

Rohi

Earning My Ears
Hello, I'm new to this board and to DVC. I recently bought 150 Riviera points direct while on vacay at WDW. After learning more about resale, we cancelled the contract within 10 days and are looking into resale. We want to make an offer for 200 SSR points. Listing is $105pp with 181 points banked for 2024.

I am offering: $90 a point or $18,000, buyer pays closing costs of $662, seller pays MF for 2024 banked points, I pay annual dues beginning in 2025.

Is this a reasonable offer? TIA!.

PS: We are a family of 6 with school going children, outside of the US and planning to do WDW every other year.

That seems fairly reasonable to me at first glance. I'm sure you already did it, but give a read to the ROFR thread to see what SSR prices are going now in the market for supporting info. But your offer doesn't sound outlandish.

Good luck with your offer and welcome to DVC!
Thank you so much, I feel more confident now! Yes I have looked through the ROFR threads and still devouring them :).

Very reasonable offer in my view, not too high or too low to start. I would definitely encourage you to look at the point charts for where you want to stay since you will almost always need two studios or a 2BR unit. Of course, you won't be able to stay at Riviera or any of the new resorts built on a resale contract.

If you really want that contract and don't want to "push" it too much, that's a reasonable offer.

Personally, I'd start with $80 and increase my offer if the seller isn't entertaining it. Depends how comfortable you are with that.

Very reasonable offer in my view, not too high or too low to start. I would definitely encourage you to look at the point charts for where you want to stay since you will almost always need two studios or a 2BR unit. Of course, you won't be able to stay at Riviera or any of the new resorts built on a resale contract.
Yes we decided that 200 is the sweet spot for us since we can bank and borrow, and we only plan on doing WDW every 2 years. We love Riviera and would love to stay there sometime, so we are thinking that in the near future, we can add on another Riviera resale that we can use exclusively for Riviera stay every 4 years or so. We don't really need any of the Blue card benefits so not sure we would consider direct any time soon.

I sense that most people don't like to stay at SSR but we actually toured it when we went to sign our Riviera contract and it's not bad. The proximity to DS is also a plus for us as we tend to spend lots of time there every visit.

If you really want that contract and don't want to "push" it too much, that's a reasonable offer.

Personally, I'd start with $80 and increase my offer if the seller isn't entertaining it. Depends how comfortable you are with that.
Now you tell me 😂🤣.

Yes we decided that 200 is the sweet spot for us since we can bank and borrow, and we only plan on doing WDW every 2 years. We love Riviera and would love to stay there sometime, so we are thinking that in the near future, we can add on another Riviera resale that we can use exclusively for Riviera stay every 4 years or so. We don't really need any of the Blue card benefits so not sure we would consider direct any time soon.

I sense that most people don't like to stay at SSR but we actually toured it when we went to sign our Riviera contract and it's not bad. The proximity to DS is also a plus for us as we tend to spend lots of time there every visit.
You'd need to stay at Riviera at least every 3 years, or rent out your points, as you can only bank points once. So You could bank points from year 1 to 2, and borrow from year 3 to 2, then bank year 4 into 5. So in a 5 year time period you are staying twice. At that rate, you may be better off just paying cash rates? DVC only makes economic sense if you go at least every 2 years.

You'd need to stay at Riviera at least every 3 years, or rent out your points, as you can only bank points once. So You could bank points from year 1 to 2, and borrow from year 3 to 2, then bank year 4 into 5. So in a 5 year time period you are staying twice. At that rate, you may be better off just paying cash rates? DVC only makes economic sense if you go at least every 2 years.
You are right - we figured we would need to rent out our SSR points some years and our Riviera points some years. We'll honestly won't be too upset if we can't stay at Riviera so that decision won't be made lightly when the time comes. We would be happy to use our SSR points at AKL every time ☺️.

Price sounds reasonable. Also in terms of RIV - you could just transfer in points from another member every three years. SSR is actually a great resort and one of our favorites.

and we only plan on doing WDW every 2 years
That's what you say now-- with DVC you'll be going much more often. Addon-itis has not hit you yet.
would love to stay there sometime, so we are thinking that in the near future, we can add on another Riviera resale that we can use exclusively for Riviera stay every 4 years or so
Two things of note with this statement.
  1. You can't stay every 4 years. With banking and borrowing it's every 3 unless you rent your points out.
  2. You typically don't buy a contract for a place you say "[you] would love to stay there sometime." Instead, try it out by either paying cash or rent out your points to rent Riviera from another owner. When buying a restricted resort, you definitely want to try first, then buy.
I sense that most people don't like to stay at SSR
SSR has so much going for it now. It easily has had the most drastic change of any resort after refurbishment (with WVL/BRV second IMO). For those of us like myself who now have more non-park days, SSR is one of the best for so many reasons.

That's what you say now-- with DVC you'll be going much more often. Addon-itis has not hit you yet.

Two things of note with this statement.
  1. You can't stay every 4 years. With banking and borrowing it's every 3 unless you rent your points out.
  2. You typically don't buy a contract for a place you say "[you] would love to stay there sometime." Instead, try it out by either paying cash or rent out your points to rent Riviera from another owner. When buying a restricted resort, you definitely want to try first, then buy.

SSR has so much going for it now. It easily has had the most drastic change of any resort after refurbishment (with WVL/BRV second IMO). For those of us like myself who now have more non-park days, SSR is one of the best for so many reasons.
I just made my 1st offer today and I already feel the addon-itis coming on 🤣.

We are from Canada and tied to the school system (We also have a kid in varsity) which means we will really only be able to to travel during school holidays (Feb and Summer:July-Aug), so not likely - but not impossible - that we will go more regularly. We usually visit WDW in December or February. This August was the 1st time we went in summer due to cheaper rates/offers, and we almost melted, so not sure we will want to do summers there every time.

Thanks for the letting me know the option of renting/transfering points from another owner, that will definitely be something to consider as we will not pay rack rate cash for a 2-bedroom villa at RIV!

We are from Canada and tied to the school system (We also have a kid in varsity) which means we will really only be able to to travel during school holidays (Feb and Summer:July-Aug), so not likely - but not impossible - that we will go more regularly. We usually visit WDW in December or February. This August was the 1st time we went in summer due to cheaper rates/offers, and we almost melted, so not sure we will want to do summers there every time.

Thanks for the letting me know the option of renting/transfering points from another owner, that will definitely be something to consider as we will not pay rack rate cash for a 2-bedroom villa at RIV!
That add on will hit you fast. DVC is fun! When we considered our first contract and whether we really needed 200 pts or if 150 was enough... 1.5 years later we're at 600+ and always toying with adding a few more small ones. The slope, it's slippery, but fun fun fun!

I'm just going to add that we were in your shoes 2 years ago when we purchased our contract (100pts for us) and I'm vaguely browsing for a small add-on contract at this point, even though I did all of the math to go every 2 years.

Also, be prepared for the possibility of the listing agent "scolding" you for a low offer, compared to the listing price. This happened more than once when we were making offers, which were $20-30 below most asking-prices. Don't let this bother you.

What is the use year of the contract you’ve made the offer on? Ideally you want a contract with a use year just before your normal travel times, so for you that’d likely be Dec. or October (there are no Jan. or Nov. use years.) The reason is that if something happens & you need to cancel you have lots of time to reschedule (or rent your points out) before the points expire at the end of your use year, this is especially important if you’ve used banked or borrowed points to make your reservation because those points are stuck in the use year you’ve banked/borrowed them to.
Another factor I considered when I was in my acquiring resale points phase was that some use years are more common than others, there’s nothing more frustrating than looking to add on & seeing great contracts in every use year except yours! Not sure that would matter as much w/ adding on at restricted resorts like Riviera, though. This chart is dated & doesn’t include Riviera, but it does have data on use year distribution https://dvcnews.com/?view=article&id=4071&catid=166
I’m unclear about the meaning of ‘181 points banked for 2024.’ Do you mean they’re 2023 points banked into 2024 or are they 2024 points banked into 2025? How much time you have to use those banked points & whether your current use year points can be banked (which you must do in the first 8 months of the use year) may make a difference in how valuable they are to you in the near term.
W/ planning trips in Dec. or Feb., availability to switch resorts at 7 months may be challenging in Dec. & also for trips which include the weekend of U.S. pres. day in Feb..

Nope, they told me to F off nicely 🤣😂. I found a couple other good ones and made offers. I'm not in a hurry now that I am learning more about how this whole DVC resale work. This board is awesome btw.

ETA: They did make a counter offer of $97 and buyer pays all costs and dues.
You will find a great one. I was turned down on 2 then I went back to the drawing board and got something even better.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest