New "digital key" on App...why?

The most wonderful part of the MagicBand is to not be moving all our stuff around or digging out to get something to open the door. And even the old room key card was just a tap, not opening my phone and going through all this.

All I can figure out is that other hotel brands are offering this (and I don't use theirs either) so they included it in their tech package.

And my big brother part of my brain is .......... without lots of RFID receivers posted everywhere they can only track your MB where they have receivers. If you allow this on your phone you are allowing them to track your phone - you have to be in proximity to your door to work - then they will know where you are ALL the time. ::yes::

The most wonderful part of the MagicBand is to not be moving all our stuff around or digging out to get something to open the door. And even the old room key card was just a tap, not opening my phone and going through all this.

All I can figure out is that other hotel brands are offering this (and I don't use theirs either) so they included it in their tech package.
I do think this is the only reason. It's actually a product line my company installs. We are installing it at a historic hotel here in town right this moment actually.

It tells you your room number in the app in case you forget. I think that's pretty useful.

In the end, it's just another option. I think people are more likely to forget their magic band in their room than their phone, so if they don't bring the band when they go out to get breakfast or fill the resort cup they're not locked out of their room. They still have the key cards for guests that don't want the bands or smartphone app.

It tells you your room number in the app in case you forget. I think that's pretty useful.

In the end, it's just another option. I think people are more likely to forget their magic band in their room than their phone, so if they don't bring the band when they go out to get breakfast or fill the resort cup they're not locked out of their room. They still have the key cards for guests that don't want the bands or smartphone app.
They added that over a year ago, without digital keys.

That's interesting. I had no idea, I just saw it in the digital key demo.
Yep. Added in the ability to see your room number, along with all detailed room charges.
If you look on MDE, click on your Resort name, View Room Details, where it shows you "Choose Magic Bands" prior to your arrival? Well, that goes away on your arrival day and it will show you your room number in it's place.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I don't really see the need much for being able to open the door through the app, but you're right in case you forget a magicband, you can at least open the door through your phone.

I'm the complete opposite. I wear my band, so I'm very unlikely to walk out without it. I don't wear my phone. I'm very likely to walk out without it.

YUP. Stays on, even when I sleep. I want to know if anything comes up and I leave the room, I'm not locked out. Been locked out at Disney before and what a pain to go to hike to the front desk and resolve.

Enough people walk around with phones in hand, that it was apparently determined to be a viable option.

Disney's goal was a MB on every arm, this is actually counter productive to that. I think it's nothing more than many brands in the industry have this, Disney has the technology already in place to use it, it was an easy adjustment to software .... and be able to say "look what we have too" ... and now they can follow you everywhere you go.

My son used it a few times...some were just because it was a novelty. But other times he took off his MB as we got in the room and he was just vegging...ok playing fortnight who am I kidding! But he went to fill up his mug and took his phone because you know he was mid game and forgot his MB.

Parity with other hotel companies, another option for conventioners who don't plan to visit the parks/wear a band. I don't see anything wrong with adding new features if they want to. It's not as if you have to use it if you don't want to. Plus if you find your band doesn't work at the room, you phone probably will and you aren't stuck having to walk back to the front desk.

In today's world, I see a large number of people who always seem to be on their phones no matter where they are. I think it's targeted more to this segment of the population.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter