Negative test to be required before flying to Canada

Yikes. Looks like they are really trying to keep folks from doing any non-essential travel these days. The airlines had no idea this was even going to be happening, according to an article on the cbc.ca.
I truly think that's a big part of it. I was fine with the two week quarantine, but the possibility of us being stuck down there as a family of five if one of us becomes positive and unable to get home? We just cant risk that. We'll wait to book anything til the borders open.

I guess I'm confused. I thought they were testing you once you landed in Canada. You mean they won't allow you on the plane without showing a neg. test result? Okay. What does that look like and can it be faked by anyone using photoshop or, say, Word?

Cases related to international travel make up such a small percentage of cases, and of those, not all would have been caught by a test 72 hours before arrival, that this will make an insignificant impact to the total cases. But it'll make people feel like the government is doing something. I already found where we can get tested before returning home, but I'll wait until more information is available before scheduling a test.

Here's some data for anyone who's interested:
View attachment 547038
Source: https://health-infobase.canada.ca/c...y-covid-19-cases.html?stat=num&measure=tested
Yes it makes up a small percentage right now but this seems to be just as much an effort to get ahead of the new mutations that are showing up internationally. Keeping out the more highly contagious variants is very important and this approach is better at catching them before they get to the border.

Yes it makes up a small percentage right now but this seems to be just as much an effort to get ahead of the new mutations that are showing up internationally. Keeping out the more highly contagious variants is very important and this approach is better at catching them before they get to the border.

I can see that it keeps some positive tested people off the plane (you could have been negative when you tested 3 days ago but positive the day you board the plane) but it doesn't keep infected people out of the country since the test only shows if you are infected the day that you are tested. It doesn't show what is going to happen in the next week. They really need to be enforcing quarantines more than anything.

Last edited:
Just searched for pre-travel COVID testing. Our local Public Health unit is no longer offering this as a free service. There are two locations near me that offer the service for about $180 per person. Cost in the GTA is higher.

Just searched for pre-travel COVID testing. Our local Public Health unit is no longer offering this as a free service. There are two locations near me that offer the service for about $180 per person. Cost in the GTA is higher.

The test is before you fly to Canada not before a flight leaving Canada (well unless where you are going requires it)

We have a trip planned for the end of January, so I'll be paying attention to this. I don't believe they can legally enforce this for returning Canadians.

We're already getting things setup for our 14 days of isolation. I think the 14 days of isolation is more effective at preventing the spread of the virus than the test, so unless they start somehow enforcing that better, just testing won't do much.
By having the test before returning to Canada, they will ensure that there is less positive carriers of Covid 19 on the plane so less transmission. If you test positive you will not be able to board the plane.

I truly think that's a big part of it. I was fine with the two week quarantine, but the possibility of us being stuck down there as a family of five if one of us becomes positive and unable to get home? We just cant risk that. We'll wait to book anything til the borders open.
I keep thinking what if one of the 5 of us tested positive .. so then adults split one with infected kiddo, then another turns positive ..
you’d need two rooms and everyone would need to be tested again in 10 days, prior to departure .. it could go on for a long time .. realistically ..

Just heard on the news that this will go into effect Jan 7th for those age 5 years and up. If you are not able to get a negative test before flying you will be required to stay at a regulated quarantine facility until you have a negative test. And this isn’t a rapid test. It’s the PCR test.

They will also be increasing surveillance of people who are supposed to be quarantining.

So what if you are in DR/Mexico, etc at an all inclusive resort. Where do you go there for a test? Into town?? At their airport??

That’s up to you to figure out. Government already advised you not to travel. If you can’t get a test you will have to stay in a quarantine facility until you get negative results. Hopefully at your expense.

So what if you are in DR/Mexico, etc at an all inclusive resort. Where do you go there for a test? Into town?? At their airport??
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/cana...jan-7/ar-BB1cnPSC?ocid=mailsignout&li=AAggNb9There are two possible outcomes for passengers who fail to obtain PCR tests prior to departure, Garneau said in an interview with CBC News.

"One is, if they haven't got the test result and there are clinics available, they will have to reschedule their departure because they won't be allowed on board," he said. "If, on the other hand, they can demonstrate ... that there was no facility, then they can be admitted onboard."
Travellers who can prove that they were unable to get a test abroad will have to quarantine at a federally-approved facility upon their return for 14 days.

Documentation of a negative test result must be presented to the airline prior to boarding a flight to Canada, according to a government news release.

Edited to add:
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle...-know/ar-BB1conRj?li=AAggXBV&ocid=mailsignout

Last edited:
Vacation destinations and airlines want travellers. I would imagine they will be pretty quick to make sure travellers know where they can get a test.

My husband had to travel (essential) internationally for work and let me tell you it was so stressful. Constantly changing rules and regulations, the stress of arranging multiple COVID tests at private clinics (on both ends of the trip) and hoping the results would be back in time to travel. Trying to time the tests so that they aren’t too early, still leave enough time to get the results, AND will still be valid throughout your journey ... it was not for the faint of heart and I certainly wouldn’t want to be doing that at Disney. I have read reports that the Maingate testing is now several hours wait just to get in the clinic. I love Disney as much as the next person but that is not worth the headache.

this is likely a power play to get airlines to accept a bail out that involves refunding passengers. They really are doubling down on this whole taking away all pleasure from everyones life thing though. I kinda wish I was American at this point. Texas is looking pretty good right now

this is likely a power play to get airlines to accept a bail out that involves refunding passengers. They really are doubling down on this whole taking away all pleasure from everyones life thing though. I kinda wish I was American at this point. Texas is looking pretty good right now

Please stop with the conspiracy theories. They are doing this because a number of the premiers asked them to. It has nothing to do with bailouts.

And your “I wish I was American right now”. I suggest you look at what the state of many American hospitals are right now. And the number of people getting really sick and those losing their life. But I mean if being able to do whatever the heck you want is more important then people, well you can always move.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter