Negative experience obtaining GAC...

DISoriented said:
Thanks.

Btw, for anyone who plans on requesting a GAC, make sure that all the members of your party are there. I went with ds and the GAC was only stamped for the two of us...it didn't include my husband or daughter.

Did you tell them you have 4 in your party? I have always been asked how many in the party and they have always put the number I requested. Frequently my daughters join us for part of the day so I always tell them up to four people.

Talking Hands said:
I have always been asked how many in the party and they have always put the number I requested.

No, she didn't ask and I didn't know to give her the number of people with me. It's just so frustrating that the quality of service you get depends on whose window you walk up to that day. :rolleyes:

Talking Hands said:
Did you tell them you have 4 in your party? I have always been asked how many in the party and they have always put the number I requested. Frequently my daughters join us for part of the day so I always tell them up to four people.

We also were asked the number in our party even though the 4 of us were all in the same room.

I had a similarly bad experience.... it all depends on who you get. I finally got it sorted out at MGM guest relations and I wanted to hug the CM who knew her job and who made it easy for us instead of more difficult to explain our situation.
:confused3

I had a similair thing at at MGM last October :guilty: I was very interested to read the poster who said generally this is more likely to happen at Guest services outsside the park,as that is where I had my negative experience.I wish now I had just gone to Guest services inside the park.

I had a letter form my doctor which explained my son has multiple special needs including Asperger syndrome,Tourettes syndrome,ADHD (I won't bother to list the rest!) The CM said we no longer give out GAC as they were being abused,at this she looked pointedly at me.How dare she,I wish I had got her name I should have followed this up.

I did post about this experince on here when I returned,also saying that at Universal I had had a completly positive experience that made for a lovely day for my son.

Doctors notes with a diagnosis is usless when getting a GAC. You need to be able to state the persons needs. Doctor's notes don't state this. There are no front of the line for anyone now except for Make a Wish children.

Karen- did you eventually get a GAC through another guest services or cast member. I wouldn't have taken no for an answer. What an unbelieveable attitude from that CM, of course there are abuses with anythig- but why would she blame YOU?!
:confused3

DISoriented said:
I'm not going to write a letter. I was venting. And after thinking about it, the CM's worst offense was not explaining exactly how the GAC worked. If she had said, "you will need to wait on the Fastpass line where it is available" and changed her tone, the entire experience would have been different for me.

I'm annoyed at myself for not having been more informed. I never knew the exact words that were stamped on the GACs used for this purpose. So, I didn't exactly "get it" when the CM gave me the card. Plus, she made it sound like, "look here, missy, you're not getting a free ride here. We'll give you a comfortable place to wait but that's all you're getting from us. It's not like it was before." So, I was confused after having read how it's supposed to work on these boards. No one here mentioned that they did away with the system, so her comment that Disney did away with the stamp in April just further confused me. She was just not clear with me.

I really wish the CMs at Guest Services were better trained in this respect. It was very difficult for me to ask for help. And to be treated and spoken to in that manner was rather humiliating.

Anyway, at this point, it is water under the bridge.

but especially
And to be treated and spoken to in that manner was rather humiliating.

This to me is the most discouraging. That it would seem through either lack of knowledge on a CM training part, or an "abuse" of the system by other people thereby creating a negative opinion of anyone asking...

I think because you felt humilated, that if you were to take it further, that it could result in even further humilation, you have lost a "trust" of sorts with Disney...

I still feel it would be beneficial, (maybe in my dreams of a perfect world) to write not from a 'complaining' standpoint, but they need a policy so that other guests, and for any future travel you have, no one should be made to feel the humilation... I think that's what still upsets me about Talking Hands experience, she did nothing wrong, it was the way she felt,

Sorry...

mrsgus06 said:
I'm sorry if I sound dumb, but what is the GAC stamp? I am heathly as are all of my children (thank goodness) but I often go with my best friend who has a 16 yo dd that suffers from siezures. She has also had a stroke suffered during one of her siezures and has a left sided weakness and is mentally delayed. It is usually me, my friend and 9 children so I realize we can't all use the stamp, but if she could take Ashley and a couple of others, I could stand in line with the rest and meet at the exit. I get very frustrated with others around us due to the fact that Ashley looks "normal" and walks fairly well, but needs to be helped on EVERY ride due to her severe imbalance so they have given us dirty looks. When we started going, she was twelve and the rest were 7 and under so we had a hard time "splitting up" and controlling all of the kids, but thankfully, they are all almost 4 and over so that makes it better on us. It would be very beneficial for her to know about this as she will be there for 2 weeks this summer with her husband helping out!
She cetainly could go to Guest Services and explain Ashley's needs. If you check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread, there is a link to a past thread about boarding rides that might be helpful to read.

Hi Talking hands,I did also explain verbally what my son's difficulties are,but it was such an abrupt conversation it wasn't pleasant.I should have gone to GS inside the park and had more time and what's more important more privacy to explain things.If my fear is my son will have a rage/meltdown,this can also be triggered by my discussing what he thinks of a private information in front of him,he's 15 not a child so it's very hard to do this discreetly!

Krismom, I didn't try again :guilty: It wasn't until I came back and posted on here I found out the information told to me was not correct :sad2: If I'd known that I wouldn't have dreamed of taking no for an answer-I had no reason to doubt the incorrect info given to me at that point though.You live and learn though!

This also meant I didn't go to another Disney park after that day which is a shame.

You could write out his needs and give it to the castmember explaining that you prefer not to have to talk in front of him. Just make sure it is a list of his needs and not his diagnosis because just telling a diagnosis doesn't give them a clue to the needs.

Thanks,I'll bear that advice in mind for next time.Next time isn't until November 2006 though :earseek: :badpc:

I had a problem getting a GAC for my vision impaired daughter at Guest Relations inside MGM. The first lady was extremely nasty and just kept saying "Use fastpass, it's free".... (Dah, we've been to WDW a zillion times) We were standing there with our little girl in piggy tails on her first WDW trip with her white cane. It was obvious she may need preferential seating etc. but that isn't even what we really cared about - all we were afraid of was her having to walk up and down the stairs in the Millionaire theater specifically. She is petrified of descending steep stairs. We tried to explain it, but we were talking to a wall. I just told the CM I am not getting anywhere with you and moved on to another CM that was very helpful.

I just think it depends on the CM, that's it. As a parent, I find it sad to have to ask for help or depend on the kindness of strangers in order for my little girl to feel secure and safe. That is the toughy for me and to have to argue for it is just painful. :guilty: (expecially with my daughter standing there)

We NEVER tried to get that GAC again after that MGM experience. Most CMs working the attractions were very nice when they saw her with her cane and asked what she needed, anyway. (That white cane does wonders!)

Sorry you had a rough time with that GAC. Hope next time is easier!!

Lives4Disney :earsgirl:

I have a beautiful wonderful 7 y.o.DD with ADHD,CAPD and sensory intergration issues.She is also DD-she emotionally is about 5 years old. We have been to Disney many times and never knew about GAC. We always travel with an additional adult (3 adults/1 child) in case we need an extra set of hands. Am thinking about using a GAC when we visit in July- I am very concerned that the heat will be difficult, and my daughters ability to process spoken language is more difficult as of late-but am nervous about negativity. In the past we have only done only noncrowded, no line rides and visited at slow times.Any ideas how I can maximize/optimize this trip without sacrificing my families dignity?Thanks!

Maryr1 said:
I have a beautiful wonderful 7 y.o.DD with ADHD,CAPD and sensory intergration issues.She is also DD-she emotionally is about 5 years old. We have been to Disney many times and never knew about GAC. We always travel with an additional adult (3 adults/1 child) in case we need an extra set of hands. Am thinking about using a GAC when we visit in July- I am very concerned that the heat will be difficult, and my daughters ability to process spoken language is more difficult as of late-but am nervous about negativity. In the past we have only done only noncrowded, no line rides and visited at slow times.Any ideas how I can maximize/optimize this trip without sacrificing my families dignity?Thanks!

It definitely sounds like a GAC is in order. As has been discussed here, you need to come prepared with not only diagnoses, but also a clear list of needs. You may also need to speak with more than one Guest Relations CM. Be persistent but nice, state your needs clearly, and don't give up. You will end up with the level of GAC that you need.

If you encounter any negativity from other park guests, smile sweetly and ignore it. Just remember, celebrities get front of line access just cause of who they are and don't feel bad about it, why should anyone make you feel bad for utilizing FP lines or other accomodations that your daughter actually needs? My dad's GAC has enabled him to go from visiting every once in a while when he was having a really good day, to visiting 3-4 times per week. GAC is a necessity for many people with disabilities. Go, use it, and have a wonderful trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter