Need to vent....SIL driving me nuts..

JoeEpcotRocks said:
Re 2.
Can you be sure you'll have you own bedroom during the day? Long days with a whirlpool tub and king-size bed nearby -- how convenient for SIL and FBIL.

oh, oh...He certainly has a point!

Plenty of people go to Disney and do not go into the parks. To help your moochers enjoy their stay a bit more you could come up with a list things that one can do for cheap and for free in the parks. Examples:

> Riding Disney transportation...especially from VWL.
> Walking over to FW
> Renting bikes or a tandem bike for an hour.
> Pool Hopping...VWL is a great jump off place to go pool hop at the other deluxe hotels.
> Mini-golf
> Disney Quest with the DVC discount.
> Shopping
> a massage
> rent a water mouse
> go hang out at the Boardwalk in the afternoon and evening.
> PI or PI with club entry using the DVC discount

Failing that there are places they could buy two day hoppers with one DQ/waterpark/PI pass

Some more things they could do to pass the time:

> Count all the silverware and dishes in the cabinets.
> Push a pencil from one end of the balcony to the other with their nose.
> Look for repeats in the wallpaper design.
> Count the number of hidden Mickeys in the ceiling plaster.
> Fold squares of toilet paper into little cranes.

They'll have a wonderful time!

rocketriter said:

Too funny! :rotfl:

:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

Dean said:
Predictable. Don't be surprised if they back out last minute with a few last minute jabs basically that it's your fault. Or worse, they do go and make you miserable the entire time.

I agree with Dean. Be sure to post a follow-up about your trip.

Good Luck.

I predict that once everyone gets down there and the 5 of you leave for the parks the first day and come home with all kinds of stories about how much fun you are having, that either SIL or FBIL will decide they are missing too much, and will want to go to the parks. I sure hope they bring a credit card with them for purchasing tickets! ;)

If I had read this before my trip last May, I think I might have cancelled. U guys scare me.

lol

emsip said:
SIL and FBIL are pretty much the same. They are both moochers. Just moochers are varying degrees. SIL is used to my DW taking care of her so mooching from us was natural for her. FBIL is just cheap (unless it is something for himself).
I really believe that "You teach people how to treat you." In order for someone to be a moochER, there has to be a moochEE that allows it to continue. So maybe you can convince DW to take this opportunity to make some changes and help SIL learn that there are limits and that she needs to grow up and be responsible for her own needs and wants. Sounds like it's a good time to set some ground rules with FBIL as well since he will soon be joining the family. The more freebies those two get on this trip, the more likely it is they will be inviting themselves along on every future trip you make!

I really do hope you all have a wonderful time. Please update us when you get back. I feel like I've just seen Part 1 of a two-part episode of Dr. Phil. I need closure!

SIL and FBIL already know that they have to cover their food, whether they are eating with us or not. But just make sure they are not surprised by the prices, I took everyone's advice and sent SIL a list of the places we plan to eat and how much it costs. Most places are buffets so the price is easy to figure out. For non-buffet places, I sent her the link to allearsnet so she can check out the menus and they can also do some research on their own.

Only 9days 18hours 1minute until..... :earboy2: :jumping1: :dancer:

Unfortunately, my mantra is starting to become "No good deed goes unpunished." I think you are living proof of that. I hope it all works out for you.

LisaS said:
I feel like I've just seen Part 1 of a two-part episode of Dr. Phil. I need closure!

that's funny.. :rotfl:
But were more of a Laura or Maury type of family.

Slowly am I getting DW to realize that her sister is an adult, but it is hard for her to stop acting like the big sister. I finally stopped SIL and FBIL from mooching dinner from us. Not dinner at Disney, I'm talking about daily visits to our house for dinner when they get off work. But that is a whole other story. Like sands in an hour glass, these are the days of our lives.

emsip said:
SIL and FBIL already know that they have to cover their food, whether they are eating with us or not. But just make sure they are not surprised by the prices, I took everyone's advice and sent SIL a list of the places we plan to eat and how much it costs. Most places are buffets so the price is easy to figure out. For non-buffet places, I sent her the link to allearsnet so she can check out the menus and they can also do some research on their own.

Only 9days 18hours 1minute until..... :earboy2: :jumping1: :dancer:
and that you sent SIL the menus so she knows the prices. But what about all the meals you plan on eating at restaurants INSIDE the parks? Is she aware that she and FBIL will not be joining you unless they have a park ticket? They will only be able to join you at restaurants at the hotels or on the boardwalk or at DTD.

Hey, what a great way to reduce the chance of them freeloading for the meals!

emsip said:

Slowly am I getting DW to realize that her sister is an adult, but it is hard for her to stop acting like the big sister. I finally stopped SIL and FBIL from mooching dinner from us. Not dinner at Disney, I'm talking about daily visits to our house for dinner when they get off work. But that is a whole other story. Like sands in an hour glass, these are the days of our lives.

Oh I feel like this is my life story. I love my sister but it did use to be dinner evry night ( I babysit her dd(free)). My sister knows she has it good and slips me a gift cert. evry once in a while, but dh hates that she is here all th time. She is coming to Disney and I feel horrible that she is at POP and I am at YC. I like POP but she made a last minute decision to come, I had to change all adr's and she can't afford deluxe and its more my guilt that she is not by us. She is ok whith POP and last year I paid for her at BW-concierge and I can't keep doing that, dh didn't even know that part. I understand your wife, we all have a need to make everyone happy. Although we all know that the sisters should not take advantage!!

May the pixie dust be with both of us!! :wizard:

emsip said:
MY SIL is screwing up months of planning...

Background info:
My family and I are going to WDW at the end of the month. The group is my wife, son, FIL, MIL, and me. I told my in-laws that I would cover all expenses for them, as a thank you for my MIL taking care of my son during the day. In February, I book a 2br at VWL. Since there is room, my wife asks my SIL is she would like to come. We tell her that we have the room covered and she would have to pay for her own expenses such as tickets and food. She says that she is too busy at work and declines the invite. So from that point I continue the plans for 5 people.

Here is where the stress begins:
Early last month, she tells us that she will be coming with us and her fiance too :earseek: . So after making all my ADR's for 5, I had to change them to 7. Of course there were no tables for 7 available at the same restaurants for the same time. So I end up having to completely redo my schedule. I am still going to the same restaurants, just not on the exact day or time I originally wanted.

After re-doing my schedule, I thought the stress was over. Well the stress fairy decided to stop by my house last night. My DW was talking to my SIL and asked her if she was going to buy tickets ahead of time or just get them at the park. Here comes the shocker. My SIL asks why she would need tickets to the park since we will already be in the park. Apparently she thought that the hotel being in WDW means that the hotel is in the park and that those staying in the WDW hotels get to go into the parks for free. She then tells my DW that she can't afford to buy the tickets because she is saving up for her wedding. This is her way of hinting to my DW that perhaps we can pay for her and her fiance's tickets. I tell my DW that we are not buying their tickets.

So at this point, all 7 of us are still going to WDW. But only 5 of us are actually going to the parks. My SIL said that she and her fiance are just going to hang around the resorts and any place else that is free. I have no problem going to the parks without them, but I know that my DW is not going to be happy leaving her sister behind.

I know my DW is going to feel guilty going to the parks without her sister. I am just going to have to keep reminding her that the trip is for us and our son. Not for her sister and fiance.

Thanks for letting me rant...

10 days 16hours 59minutes until :earboy2: :cool1:

Ugh...I feel for you! I am going thru something similar with my SIL right now as well. We invited them to come with us over the summer - the only caveat being that they needed to get back to us fairly quickly, since the 90-day window was approaching and I didn't want to deal with making ressies for 5, then making them for 9, which I knew we would probably not being able to get, if she waited too long. Of course, it took her over a month to commit to going (DH and I kept saying "we can't believe they are not jumping on this! It's Disney!). So...now I'm stuck cancelling all my great ressies and trying to grab anything I can for 9 people, so we can eat together.

Then, the first thing she says when she announces she's going is how she's glad that we didn't make plans for Sunday while we are there, because HER DH and HER think we should sit and watch football all day! We told her we like football, but we don't watch it in Disney! :rotfl2: What's the matter with these people!?? And you know, when we are trying to leave the room her kids are going to be just sitting there looking sad, because they are stuck in a hotel room at DISNEY! If she thinks I'm taking her 2 kids, along with my 3 to the parks, while they "hang and watch football" she's nuts!

What is it with Family, anyway????? :crazy:

mstec said:
Ugh...I feel for you! I am going thru something similar with my SIL right now as well. We invited them to come with us over the summer - the only caveat being that they needed to get back to us fairly quickly, since the 90-day window was approaching and I didn't want to deal with making ressies for 5, then making them for 9, which I knew we would probably not being able to get, if she waited too long. Of course, it took her over a month to commit to going (DH and I kept saying "we can't believe they are not jumping on this! It's Disney!). So...now I'm stuck cancelling all my great ressies and trying to grab anything I can for 9 people, so we can eat together.
That may not work out as badly as you think. Some of them you will probably be able to change...and some of them you won't.

"Oh well...told you to let us know! Guess you'll just have to make your own plans for that meal, because we're not able to change that one."

What is it with Family, anyway????? :crazy:
You don't get to choose family. ;)

emsip said:

There is a LOT said in that statement about both your SIL and her future husband as well as your DW. Someone needs to cut the cord sothis girl and her FDH can learn what life is like in the real world. The longer they are enabled, the harder it will be, so I think the time has come, and maybe this trip will be a true eye opener for everyone all around. It is just as hard for an enabler to stop enabling as it is for a moocher to stop mooching. STick to your guns and let this trip be a lesson to everyone involved. I first suggested that your MIL and FIL could maybe give SIL and FBIL an early gift, but I now think that is the wrong thing to do. Mostly because MIL will forget about it by the time teh holidays arrive, and SIL will again have been successful with the mooch. Time for her to grow up a bit.

emsip said:

.... Like sands in an hour glass, these are the days of our lives.

OMG, that was HILARIOUS!

I understand what you mean though, I am the bigger sister who did that. The good thing is that as soon as my sister started working, I was LOVING enough to tell her that it was time she show the same generosity that was shown to her. She got it and all is well. Don't lose hope it seems like your wife really listens to you and it will be hard for her at first but as time passes she will realize she (well, actually both of you) did the right thing!

rocketriter said:

LOOOOOOOL, this thread is tooo funny!

BTW, please let us know how it went on your trip!

Wow, what a story, bet it goes down in the DVC annals for bad relatives. Sorry you are living it.

Inquiring minds want to know: how old are these moochers???

One part of me says: no ticket money. But another part is scared for you. I can hear it already, when your next trip is planned: "but we HAVE to come with you again....last time we went and never even got to SEE the parks!"

Does your SIL mooch from her parents as well? Was wondering what the chances were of good old mom and dad "doing them a favor." Hope not!!!

Pixie dust to you.....

emsip said:

Oh, come on....how'd you do, how'd you do it????????? This is better than reading a novel!!!! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter