Need ideas for low key things to do on resort days.

jo-jo

DIS Veteran
We will have several resort days at BLT and AKL kidani. What very low key activities are there in the area resorts to see or do. The reason we aren’t going to the parks every is health won’t allow it. Just want to make sure we don’t miss some simple tour or activity . I don’t want to sit in room all day.

Trip is in two weeks.

what ever you decide to do...make sure you get up at 6:30am or so, and get out to the pool and put a towel, and an old book in every chair your family Neds, + one just in case. You may want to go back and swim around 3pm and it sucks to have to find an open chair to use.

The pool at Kidani is wonderful. Lots of shaded-by-palm-tree areas, very relaxing. They also offer a night time safari for ~$80 per person. Sanaa breakfast is Quick Service, no reservation needed, but they bring your breakfast to you at your table, potentially with a Savannah view. There's a patio/walkway with animal experts that will talk to you about the different animals you can view outside of Sanaa. Also there's a "library" with a balcony that overlooks the savannah, right off the lobby.

At the contemporary, you can rent pontoon boats for $45 per 30 minutes and drive you and your party around bay lake. I also just love riding the monorail and the small boats that travel to and from Magic Kingdom resorts. And yes, Ft. Wilderness is very close, you could visit Tri-Circle-D Ranch, book a carriage ride, etc. The Polynesian beach is close by with chairs available, as is the patio of Trader Sam's with a ukelele player in the afternoons. The Grand Floridian has a relaxing atmosphere and also does pontoon boat rentals. They have a few high end stores, like Basin. I love shopping around the monorail resorts.

Check the activity schedule for the resort when you arrive. There will be different activities and crafts. At AKL (Both Kidani and Jambo) there can be keeper talks and sometimes a chance to make enrichment items for the animals. The walk from Kidani to Jambo is not long, but there is a shuttle between the two if you need it.

So not to quote everyone,

pools are out , just not able physically

The small boats from the resorts never returned. 😥

Sanaa sounds interesting. As does tri-circle-ranch.

We do plan to hop to other resorts, someone a few weeks ago mentioned a tour at wildernes lodge.

thanks for the ideas.

AKV, both Kidani and Jambo, have so many great activities you can partake in. And if you're lucky enough to have a room on the main floor or even one floor above it, and you're on the south side (the side the pools on) start your day one morning sitting on your balcony around 8:00-9:00 listening to the various "cues" that call the different species on the savannah to their houses, a whistle, triangle, drum, etc. If the international CMs are at the resort, go to the Sunset room at Jambo or the Library room at Kidani to listen to their nightly presentation on their home country. And make sure you go to the tours of the restaurants-Sanaa and Boma/Jiko at 4:30 or so (exact time will be listed in activities). The lobby tour at Kidani at 3:30 is interesting. The resort activities alone will keep you busy!

So not to quote everyone,

pools are out , just not able physically

The small boats from the resorts never returned. 😥

Sanaa sounds interesting. As does tri-circle-ranch.

We do plan to hop to other resorts, someone a few weeks ago mentioned a tour at wildernes lodge.

thanks for the ideas.

You can still rent pontoon boats at some of the MK resorts - we just did this at GF about a week ago and they are also available at CR.

Hop over to Riviera, get a chocolate croissant, and take a trip on the Skyliner for some beautiful views.

Wow-I just checked the resort activities at Jambo and Kidani. It seems as if so many of the things I mentioned have been discontinued. I'm so sad-and I do apologize for suggesting them, since they're no longer offered.

If you'd like to joy-ride the Skyliner, just take the bus from AKL to DHS and the Skyliner station is near the bus depot area. I'm not sure if this activity involves more than you can or want to do, but I thought I'd mention it.

I'm not familiar with Kidani, but at Jambo House, the hallways are loaded with beautiful African art objects. This also involves walking around the hallways, but if museum-going appeals to you, this is the AKL equivalent of it. There are terrific objects in display cases and beautiful art hung on the walls.

Additionally, at Jambo House, if you walk to the ends of many fo the corridors there are stairways to the outside--and some of these stairway areas have even better animal viewing sight lines than the "official" viewing areas. There are lots of those as well.

But maybe animal viewing isn't your idea of doing something, since it's pretty passive.

For your BLT stay, riding the monorail is always fun, especially if you have no particular destination in mind, but we often take the monorail and visit all the resorts on the line. Have lunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe, where it's usually pretty easy to get an ADR on the day of.

Drive/uber/taxi/whatever over to POFQ, have some beignets, enjoy the riverfront, and take the boat to Disney Springs.

Again not quoting,

Dh and stairs don’t mix well. But we do like animals watching. Hoping to do lots from room, savanna view. But those outdoor areas give you an even better view.

We do like the skyliner. The idea of stopping at resorts for snack is good.

We had done the boma tour years ago, too bad that isn’t offered any more.

Thanks for the ideas. So many little things happen at Disney, that just aren’t talked about much. Wilth so many resort days (6), I wanted to do more than stay in room for hours on end.

Again not quoting,

Dh and stairs don’t mix well. But we do like animals watching. Hoping to do lots from room, savanna view. But those outdoor areas give you an even better view.

Thanks for the ideas. So many little things happen at Disney, that just aren’t talked about much. Wilth so many resort days (6), I wanted to do more than stay in room for hours on end.
I just wanted to clarify that if you go out to the end of the halls and into the stairwells, you do not have to go up or down the stairs. You can just stand on the landing where you emerge from the hallway and watch the animals from there. No stairs required. I don't remember which corridors have the best stairwell animal viewing--I haven't done this in a while--so you'd have to use the hit-and-miss method, but in the meanwhile, you'd be in the art-laden corridors, which has its own appeal.

Not sure if you fish, but from BLT they have fishing excursions I believe. We did one from the GF last trip, to date the 5 pound large mouth bass my son caught is his personal best!

How about mini golf? Winter Summerland is right next to Blizzard Beach. The theming is really cute & there are 2 different courses. There is also Fantasia mini golf right next to Swan Reserve. Fantasia is OK but we liked the theming @ Winter Summerland better. Also, there is the AMC theater at Disney Springs. We go to movies regularly at home but we still go there once in awhile. It’s a nice escape from the crowds & afternoon heat. Sorry, I know these aren’t at resorts, but just some other options for nonpark days.

what ever you decide to do...make sure you get up at 6:30am or so, and get out to the pool and put a towel, and an old book in every chair your family Neds, + one just in case. You may want to go back and swim around 3pm and it sucks to have to find an open chair to use.
If I come along at 8 am And your towels are Dry & nobody is around I Will push them aside & use those
chairs . What will you do ?

Again not quoting,

Here is another idea
Make your way to The Boardwalk Hotel Then take your time to get to Lakeside

Find a seat AND watch the free entertainment + People watch

( Restrooms are nearby .... no stairs )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter