Need help with New Years Eve 2014 Tips at Disneyland and DCA

jcooper131

Earning My Ears
We will be at Disneyland Dec 30-Jan 3. I am looking for tips for New Years Eve.

Should we go to Disneyland or DCA on New Years Eve?

Can you get dining reservations with access for Midnight celebrations at Disneyland or DCA?

Do they have passes for DCA Midnight celebration like they do for World of Color?

Any other tips with be appreciated.

Whether you go to DL or DCA on NYE is up to your preference. Both parks have celebrations going on, but the styles are very different. If you choose DL, be prepared to arrive early and to stay in the park. The Hub and MS areas will be PACKED by early afternoon and the gates may close for a while, too. The celebrations/countdown take place in front of the castle. No special pass is needed -- it is open to anyone with a valid ticket. DCA will have the special midnight WOC. The Dine Line CM said that there is no WOC meal for that showing, so no special PD FPs. DCA usually doesn't feel as crowded as DL on NYE, but it still would be wise to plan for crowds, just so you don't get caught off guard. Reservations have already opened for dining on NYE, so make your reservations now if you want a popular time or popular restaurant.

Whether you go to DL or DCA on NYE is up to your preference. Both parks have celebrations going on, but the styles are very different. If you choose DL, be prepared to arrive early and to stay in the park. The Hub and MS areas will be PACKED by early afternoon and the gates may close for a while, too. The celebrations/countdown take place in front of the castle. No special pass is needed -- it is open to anyone with a valid ticket. DCA will have the special midnight WOC. The Dine Line CM said that there is no WOC meal for that showing, so no special PD FPs. DCA usually doesn't feel as crowded as DL on NYE, but it still would be wise to plan for crowds, just so you don't get caught off guard. Reservations have already opened for dining on NYE, so make your reservations now if you want a popular time or popular restaurant.
Thank you for your reply. I just called and they told me there was no dining packages for the NYE midnight celebration at DCA. We are staying at the Grand Californian Hotel so we will probably choose DCA for NYE so we can get to the room easily if we need to.

Has anyone done the DCA at midnight around paradise pier? How early did you have to go get your spot?

This may not be relevant but, I went to Disneyland for NYE in 2008 and found a spot near the castle and sat for a couple of hours. Midnight struck and we couldn't see the fireworks because there was fog. The cast members looked so apologetic, even though it was totally out of anyone's control. All you could see were flashes of lightening behind cloud. It was still a fun night and great atmosphere. They handed out free top hats with 2009 on it which was nice :)

We were there for NYE 2014. We choose DCA because it never feels as crowded as DCA when the parks are packed. We didn't end up staying for WOC...it got really cold and we decided to head back to the hotel early. So...I would pack warm clothes. We liked the party atmosphere, they passed out hats and blowers and of course, you can have a drink or two at DCA.

We were in DL for NYE 2013. It was a very, very long day. We were there early and by midnight, we were long done. As the previous poster stated, dress warm. We actually ended up buying a blanket in the park because we were freezing!

It was fun but I think since it was our last day/night in the park, we were too exhausted to truly enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, we are troopers when it comes to spending long hours in the park. We quite often spend an entire day there with no breaks and shut it down. NYE was just so crowded, combined with the fact that we didn't even have an option to take a few hour break even if we wanted to, well it took a little bit of the enjoyment out of it. We all said we would never do it again.

Tips:

-- Dress warmly or at the very least, bring some warm clothes to put on later at night because it gets very chilly, very quickly.

-- Enjoy a couple of sit down meals. At least it will give you a chance to relax for awhile because it's a long day.

-- You don't need to get there right at park opening, like we did. While every year is different, I think you'd be fine going in later in the morning. Just don't leave it too long.

-- Be prepared to sit and wait for a very long time if you want a prime spot for the fireworks. We chose not to do this and sat in Tomorrowland to watch them, right by the monorail entrance.

-- If you are planning on taking the monorail back to DTD to go to your hotel, then be there early. It was PACKED! I've never seen it so busy!

If you are prepared, then you will enjoy it. Get a good night sleep the night before though, you'll need it.

I have been at the Resort for NYE three times in the past four years. It is my preference to be in DCA in the afternoon and evening because it is much less crowded than DL. Our normal routine is DL at rope drop and have a reservation at a table service place for breakfast (such as Carnation). We do this because the lines for food start getting really long as the day goes on.

We hop over to DCA in the afternoon to avoid the craziness of DL, people start camping out in the Hub in the morning. It gets difficult to navigate DL around noon or so. As we were leaving DL around noon we passed the line for lockers, which was backing up Main Street!

We have never had a problem entering/exiting DCA throughout the day. Not to say this couldn't happen this year, but historically it hasn't been an issue for DCA. We actually went to the Hearthstone Lounge last year around 10pm for drinks and went back into DCA around 11pm or so with no issues. We used the GCH entrance. There were absolutely no lines.

We have gotten FPs for the midnight WOC in previous years. Be prepared to get there early for a good spot. Nowadays we don't even bother with WOC FPs because only the "pre show" is different. There is normally a lead up to the countdown and then a "fireworks and fountain" show. There are no projections or anything, so we just watch from the area by California Screamin'. The fireworks are above us, we can see the colored fountains, and we can see the DL fireworks in the distance. It is uncrowded and after the fireworks we hop on TSMM with no wait.

But this is just our little secret, ok? ;)

My tips:
-avoid DL in the afternoon and evening if you can. If you can't, be prepared to hang out all day.
-make reservations for meals because the counter services lines are LONG
-bring your patience, moving through the Resort will take longer, just expect it and roll with it
-ask before you exit the park if there are any restrictions on re-entering at that time, obviously things can change quickly, but it saves you from exiting if restrictions are in place
-unless you are dying to watch the same WOC show that you can see tomorrow, there is no real reason to be in the WOC area. If you really want to do WOC, get there early and be prepared to wait.
-an alternate experience is at the Mad T Party in DCA, they do a countdown iirc and this spot has live music and a bar. Great spot to hang out.
-bring cold weather gear, lots of people ended up buying sweatshirts or blankets because it gets very cold, especially if you are just standing in one spot.
-order your adult beverages way ahead of midnight if you want a glass for toasting, the lines are LONG
-since you are staying at the GCH, this doesn't apply to you, but for others who might wonder, it is best to hang tight after the midnight fireworks and not hurry to the tram/bus. The entire Resort will be headed that way. Just wait for the parks to empty a bit before attempting to leave. Or stay within walking distance if at all possible, it is totally worth it!
-New Year's Day in the morning is soooo uncrowded for the first couple of hours, so if you can swing it, try to be at the gates bright and early.

Have fun! It is a great way to ring in the New Year, we love being there for it. Yes, it is crowded, but it is doable if you just know where to go. I would never personally do DL as it gets really uncomfortable, I mean shoulder to shoulder in some spots. DCA was never that bad.

Thank you for all the great tips. We will definitely go to DCA for NYE. We have other days for DL. I am going to make dining reservations today.

I am glad you mentioned the cold weather. Every time we have gone to Disneyland it has always been around the 70's during the day and 60 at night. I think I am going to buy some foot warmers to help keep us warm. They always help.

...We have gotten FPs for the midnight WOC in previous years. Be prepared to get there early for a good spot. Nowadays we don't even bother with WOC FPs because only the "pre show" is different. There is normally a lead up to the countdown and then a "fireworks and fountain" show. There are no projections or anything, so we just watch from the area by California Screamin'. The fireworks are above us, we can see the colored fountains, and we can see the DL fireworks in the distance. It is uncrowded and after the fireworks we hop on TSMM with no wait.

But this is just our little secret, ok? ;)
Thanks for sharing your "little secret", and all your other great tips :thumbsup2

This will be our first NYE in the parks, and it's great to know WOC can be viewed from the California Screamin' side.

Thanks for sharing your "little secret", and all your other great tips :thumbsup2

This will be our first NYE in the parks, and it's great to know WOC can be viewed from the California Screamin' side.

Oooh, I don't want to mislead you. :idea: The Fireworks and Fountain show can be viewed from the Screamin' side as it is all fountain based (no projections). But I wouldn't recommend watching the actual WOC show from Screamin' as you just see the backside of the projections.

Sorry if that was unclear!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter