Need help shopping for digital cameras

MerryPoppins

<font color=coral>I posted around Woo Hooty time<b
I'm shopping for digital cameras. I'd like to find a lower end model for each of the kids for Christmas. I'd like to try to not break the budget. (DS is a senior in high school and DD is a freshman) I want the cameras to take good enough pictures to print with decent color. And if DS goes very far next year for college, I'd like to "see" him once in a while. :teeth:

I want them to accept memory cards. I have a card reader, and find them highly superior to cables. My digital camera is several years old. It's a Kodak and I love it, but it's sort of big and clunky. I'm looking for one that is a good size to carry around with you at college or in your purse.

I'm thinking about a Kodak EasyShare. Anyone have one of those? If so, what is your experience with them?

Help me find something that's better than a toy, but won't break the bank. I'd be willing to buy used/refurbished if it's in really good condition. My kids wouldn't care about that if it works well.

MerryPoppins said:
I'm shopping for digital cameras. I'd like to find a lower end model for each of the kids for Christmas. I'd like to try to not break the budget. (DS is a senior in high school and DD is a freshman) I want the cameras to take good enough pictures to print with decent color. And if DS goes very far next year for college, I'd like to "see" him once in a while.
teeth.gif

I want them to accept memory cards. I have a card reader, and find them highly superior to cables. My digital camera is several years old. It's a Kodak and I love it, but it's sort of big and clunky. I'm looking for one that is a good size to carry around with you at college or in your purse.

I'm thinking about a Kodak EasyShare. Anyone have one of those? If so, what is your experience with them?

Help me find something that's better than a toy, but won't break the bank. I'd be willing to buy used/refurbished if it's in really good condition. My kids wouldn't care about that if it works well.

Check out the Olympus Stylus Verve line. They have 4mp and 5mp versions. These cameras are very small and light. The will easily fit in a purse or pocket. They are also "water-resistant" which means that they have rubber gaskets on all doors and openings. They are supposed to be able to stand up to being dunked in water if the camera is closed. I'm not sure I have the guts to try it though...

There is also a 6mp and 8mp version if you want a larger image. These are called "Olympus Stylus 600 & 800".

Olympus has an EBay site that sells refurbished units auction style. Go to EBay and do a search for "olympus stylus verve 4" to get the full list. I just picked up a 4mp version for my daughter and the total price was $160 w/ shipping and state sales tax. They do charge sales tax for all 50 states, but only charge $6 for shipping.

I have an Olympus that is waterproof. Daughter dropped it in the Gulf of Mexico. We wiped it off and continued taking pictures with no problems. :)

Thanks for all the replies. I'm off to check out all the ideas you've given me. So many choices, so little time. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter