need help ASAP

eternaldisneyfan

<font color=royalblue>Have an Attitude of Gratitud
I am going down to a city near Anaheim for an evaluation for assistive technology. An organization is paying for 2 nights in a hotel, 2 days food, and gas. I was thinking about going up a day earlier and paying for an extra night myself so I could ride Tower of Terror at California Adventure. When the Disneyland site was first advertising it, they said it was wheelchair accessible. However, I just went back to the site and it has been changed and the wheelchair symbols are no longer there. I looked at the mobility guide but Tower of Terror is too new to be in it. I know the one at WDW is NOT wheelchair accessible. I can't transfer from my wheelchair to ride thrill rides. I have always wanted to ride Tower of Terror and love thrill rides. Does anyone know if Tower of Terror at California Adventure is wheelchair accessible? Also how cold is it? Would a GAC let us wait in line inside since I am sensitive to cold? There are several other attractions I like that would fill up our day. This just seems like the perfect opportunity since part of the payment is covered. My appointment is December 2 so I need to make a decision fast. Thanks!

Christamae

I don't know aqbout the one in DCA, but at WDW a person could get all the way to the elevaztors in a wc but would have to transfer to get into the ride itself. You could be assigned to rows one or two and then there are no stairs at all.

Since there is a "chicken exit", your wc could be moved to the exit area.

However, there is no provission (and I don't think it would be possible to install one) for a wc (manual or powered). There would not only be the logistical (read time) problem of locking down (and then releasing) the wc, but the rider would have to be held in securely with a seat belt, as all the other passengers.

Because you are being pulled down (faster than free-fall) and then pushed back up, there is the additional possibility of damage to a wc due to loads.

If you can transfer (about 15 feet) you should be able to ride. However, note that you can be assisted by someone with you, but the CMs are not allowed to assist with your transfer.

Mike

I can't imagine there would be any way possible to adapt this ride to someone in a power chair. I'd be afraid my equipment would fly off too! Good luck with your appointment- hope you get all the equipment you need. If not for assistive technology many of us would not be as independent and functional as we are! Kathy

We are going on the 7th to WDW and this is definately on DS list of what he wants to do on his wish trip. He is a big boy about 5'7 and 150 lbs and we are going to tranfer him over come heck or high water :bounce: 15 feet? Sounds like a challenge, good thing I have been strength training

Virginia

For the OP, I'd suggest you try posting this on another forum. Mouseplanet has a disabilities discussion board called Theme Parks Access Guide. if this link doesn't work, go to mouseplanet.com , then discussion boardss, then look for Theme Parks Access Guide.
It's not as active as our little place here is, but you could try doing a PM or emailing one of the Moderators. I think ToursbabeC3po and AVP on that board are both DL CMs.
Here's a link to the disabilities page on the official Disney site. They don't list TOT, but at the bottom of the page, there is an email link. My best guess is that TOT in DL is very similar to the one in WDW and is not accessible unless you can transfer.

My DD has ridden the one at WDW, but we parked her wheelchair very close to the "door" of the elevator and lifted her out of her wheelchair. It might be possible to make a sliding transfer to one of the front row seats also. Once we were in, the CM moved the wheelchair out of the way. When we returned back from the "Twilight Zone", the wheelchair was waiting for us. I found a website that had some good pictures that show the elevator seats at WDW. . As I recall, we actually pulled DD's wheelchair up to the door (but keep in mind that I was terrified and, thus, not able to give my full attention to remembering much except to keep breathing slowly so I would not get a panic attack!)

And to not forget you, Christamae, I hope they find lots of good AT equipment for you (and that someone will provide funding for it). Lots of Pixie Dust coming your way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter