My thoughts on bag check last week.

Queen of the WDW Scene

It's only MY opinion, YOU decided to quote it.
I feel bag check is just security theater but with that being said I found it fairly painless last week even with the crowds.

I really wish people would understand that they don't need the whole house in a giant backpack with tons of pockets.

I had a VB hipster and had it ready to be looked at.
I then zipped it up and threw it on the table and walked though the metal detector picking it back up all in one fluid motion while others still had to take crap out of their pockets and wanted to carry their cell phones through.

I also liked that MK has different security check points now.
I was offsite and went through at TTC and then onto the ferry.

Not sure what the backpack hate is. So it doesn't work for you or isn't needed for you and that's great but some families or even smaller groups may need the packpack. During the early spring/fall and sometimes winter I use a backpack instead of a small sling pack to be able to carry light jackets or hoodies.

Security did go pretty smoothly this week though. Never longer then 5 minutes.

Not sure what the backpack hate is. So it doesn't work for you or isn't needed for you and that's great but some families or even smaller groups may need the packpack. During the early spring/fall and sometimes winter I use a backpack instead of a small sling pack to be able to carry light jackets or hoodies.

The stadium where my favorite MLB team plays has banned backpacks starting this season because it takes security too long to go through all the pockets. I don't think Disney will ban them, and I do plan on bringing mine, but it does take longer to search backpacks than bags with one compartment.

The stadium where my favorite MLB team plays has banned backpacks starting this season because it takes security too long to go through all the pockets. I don't think Disney will ban them, and I do plan on bringing mine, but it does take longer to search backpacks than bags with one compartment.

The difference for me with baseball and football is it is 4 hours tops any aren't allowed to bring outside food and beverages. With Disney it can be 12 or more hours in the parks. People bring water bottles, snacks, any a plethora of things that may be needed for an entire day. I imagine the few people who go to sporting events with babies can get away with a very small supply for the game but it wouldn't fly at Disney with toddlers and younger.

If you need it you need it but...
The bigger the bag and the more pockets the longer it takes.
The more people in front of me that have a backpack the longer I wait.
I know they were doing big bag vs small bag lines for a short period of time. Perhaps that would be a good thing to bring back but have it be split big and small/medium.

If you need it you need it but...
I know they were doing big bag vs small bag lines for a short period of time. Perhaps that would be a good thing to bring back but have it be split big and small/medium.
I had a good laugh when I read both of your posts. We last visited in December with our almost 2 year-old DS. We were one of those families with a backpack that made me look like I was preparing for a 90-day trek across the Sahara. We planned long park days so we wanted to be prepared for whatever our little monster.....oops, I mean angel.....could throw at us. I did sort of feel bad for the security officer and those in line behind us for a spilt second and then I got over it as I'm sure they did too. Each time we entered a bag check line I would silently calculate how many more years until we can visit the parks with no backpack, no stroller, etc. Someday I guess.

I feel like the pp. It's our first trip as a family of 3 and a stroller. I think i bought the whole house and still forgot things. My guy is 7 months old so i need a change of clothes and pj as we so long days

I had a good laugh when I read both of your posts. We last visited in December with our almost 2 year-old DS. We were one of those families with a backpack that made me look like I was preparing for a 90-day trek across the Sahara. We planned long park days so we wanted to be prepared for whatever our little monster.....oops, I mean angel.....could throw at us. I did sort of feel bad for the security officer and those in line behind us for a spilt second and then I got over it as I'm sure they did too. Each time we entered a bag check line I would silently calculate how many more years until we can visit the parks with no backpack, no stroller, etc. Someday I guess.

Like I said if you need it you need it especially if you have little ones but there are so many people that bring stuff just to bring stuff.
I went with little ones last week and my sister brought a backpack. ONE backpack for 5 people not one backpack for each person.
She actually ended up needing some of the stuff in it too since my 4yr old niece had to pee so bad in the middle of COP that we borrowed a diaper and then she overfilled it and it got on her clothes and the floor.

I feel like the pp. It's our first trip as a family of 3 and a stroller. I think i bought the whole house and still forgot things. My guy is 7 months old so i need a change of clothes and pj as we so long days
Off topic but if I may offer a tip:

If you will be in the parks after the sun goes down maybe consider bringing something to make your stroller stand out at night. The stroller parking areas can be dark and occasionally Castmembers will move/organize the strollers in these areas in an effort to keep them tidy. (Although I'm convinced the "real" reason they are there is to make sure no one forgets their baby in their stroller). We brought a small set of battery-operated Christmas lights and wrapped them around the stroller handles. You can also use some glow bracelets from your local dollar store. It was a huge help for us. Have a great trip!

Last edited:
Like I said if you need it you need it especially if you have little ones but there are so many people that bring stuff just to bring stuff.
I went with little ones last week and my sister brought a backpack. ONE backpack for 5 people not one backpack for each person.
She actually ended up needing some of the stuff in it too since my 4yr old niece had to pee so bad in the middle of COP that we borrowed a diaper and then she overfilled it and it got on her clothes and the floor.
I hope I didn't give the wrong impression with my post. I very much agree with you.:) I'm quite jealous of the families I see entering the parks with no backpacks.

The difference for me with baseball and football is it is 4 hours tops any aren't allowed to bring outside food and beverages. With Disney it can be 12 or more hours in the parks. People bring water bottles, snacks, any a plethora of things that may be needed for an entire day. I imagine the few people who go to sporting events with babies can get away with a very small supply for the game but it wouldn't fly at Disney with toddlers and younger.

I can't speak to football, but the MLB stadium I was speaking of absolutely does allow outside food and beverages, so I'm not sure where you're getting your information. And more than a few people take babies to baseball games. The baby is free and it's family-friendly entertainment...it's America's pastime!

As you can see from my signature, I have a toddler. Is my backpack necessary? No, a shoulder-carry diaper bag or similar size tote bag would achieve the same purpose. I just happen to like a backpack better. But I could absolutely get by without it.

You were asking what the backpack hate is, and I was explaining. It does make security take longer. I, personally, don't mind. I want people to have what they feel is necessary to have a happy day. But there are people who get annoyed by the extra time in security.

I can't speak to football, but the MLB stadium I was speaking of absolutely does allow outside food and beverages, so I'm not sure where you're getting your information. And more than a few people take babies to baseball games. The baby is free and it's family-friendly entertainment...it's America's pastime!

As you can see from my signature, I have a toddler. Is my backpack necessary? No, a shoulder-carry diaper bag or similar size tote bag would achieve the same purpose. I just happen to like a backpack better. But I could absolutely get by without it.

You were asking what the backpack hate is, and I was explaining. It does make security take longer. I, personally, don't mind. I want people to have what they feel is necessary to have a happy day. But there are people who get annoyed by the extra time in security.

Not sure what stadium you go to was just going off the several I've been to. None of them allow anything more then 1 small bottle of water and/or 1 standard kids juice box. Again been to a ton of games and at each game (except kids/family day) could count the babies on 1 hand. Just was using what I'm use to is all.

Yes I know it is because backpacks take longer for security but so many people on these boards saying leave the stupid backpack and all your crap at home so I can get through faster when that just isn't possible for everyone. So again great if you can get by with out the backpack but I don't grumble and fuss because some other families chose to have one.

Not sure what stadium you go to was just going off the several I've been to. None of them allow anything more then 1 small bottle of water and/or 1 standard kids juice box. Again been to a ton of games and at each game (except kids/family day) could count the babies on 1 hand. Just was using what I'm use to is all.

Yes I know it is because backpacks take longer for security but so many people on these boards saying leave the stupid backpack and all your crap at home so I can get through faster when that just isn't possible for everyone. So again great if you can get by with out the backpack but I don't grumble and fuss because some other families chose to have one.

I usually go to Busch Stadium (St. Louis Cardinals), and you can bring in any non-alcoholic beverage which is factory sealed in a clear container and basically any food you want. I've also been to Wrigley Field a few times and their policy is the same, I believe. I see lots of babies/toddlers at games (particularly weekday day games), but maybe it's because of the area I'm from. We make baseball a family event here in the Midwest!

Our family could 100% not get by with a small hipster bag.

2 kids in diapers. For a RD to close day, between diapers, extra clothes, wipes, layers for varying weather conditions, bottles or cups if needed, snacks, sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, we need that big backpack. Those pockets may annoy the person behind us in security, but it makes it 10x easier for me to pull out a wipe or a diaper or hand sanitizer, etc. during the day.

My double stroller will be there too for my toddler and baby who are very close in age.
It is a necessity for our family. We don't take breaks so my kids take stroller naps. Our stroller is large and comfortable and what they are used to. I won't be buying a smaller stroller to accommodate a few folks in a security line. I'm bringing the one we always use. Ours is great especially if we have a flight delay (which happened on our last flight we took - we were delayed for hours late and night and my kids were able to sleep in it at the gate. That thing is coming with us.

I find it so sad that those of us who can't get by with just a wristlet are judged for it. With just one child last year, I brought a backpack. I used pretty much everything in it. I will have double the clothes and diapers and extra items for our second child.

I am sure there are families that bring more stuff into the parks than us, and people who bring less. What we bring works for us. What they bring works for them. Why can't everyone just get along?

Our family could 100% not get by with a small hipster bag.

2 kids in diapers. For a RD to close day, between diapers, extra clothes, wipes, layers for varying weather conditions, bottles or cups if needed, snacks, sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, we need that big backpack. Those pockets may annoy the person behind us in security, but it makes it 10x easier for me to pull out a wipe or a diaper or hand sanitizer, etc. during the day.

My double stroller will be there too for my toddler and baby who are very close in age.
It is a necessity for our family. We don't take breaks so my kids take stroller naps. Our stroller is large and comfortable and what they are used to. I won't be buying a smaller stroller to accommodate a few folks in a security line. I'm bringing the one we always use. Ours is great especially if we have a flight delay (which happened on our last flight we took - we were delayed for hours late and night and my kids were able to sleep in it at the gate. That thing is coming with us.

I find it so sad that those of us who can't get by with just a wristlet are judged for it. With just one child last year, I brought a backpack. I used pretty much everything in it. I will have double the clothes and diapers and extra items for our second child.

I am sure there are families that bring more stuff into the parks than us, and people who bring less. What we bring works for us. What they bring works for them. Why can't everyone just get along?

Ummmmmmm.....ok then.
Sounds like you're being a bit judgmental yourself now.
Did I say I bring a wristlet???? Um no.
But I also don't need snacks, sunscreen, x amount of hats....
I was trying to give my opinion about my experience with bag check last week and suddenly it has turned into I'm a terrible person for thinking people don't NEEEEEEED a million things for a day in the park especially if its just for themselves.

Hmmm and after looking at a few of the PP's posts I see that this nastiness did not come out specifically due to my thread. Perhaps they should have just ... let it go instead of continuing their beef from another thread in mine.

Hmmm and after looking at a few of the PP's posts I see that this nastiness did not come out specifically due to my thread. Perhaps they should have just ... let it go instead of continuing their beef from another thread in mine.

This is a reoccurring topic that I chose to weigh in on. I actually may not have bothered weighing in on your original post except for the following quote you stated in a later post:

This is my overall problem. The attitude that people should pack less for the convenience of others. That's all. I truly apologize if I misread this in some way. I'm all about people sharing their experiences. I just wish that an excited family bringing the supplies they need or THINK they need to get through their day wasn't judged for it or made to feel like their ruining everyone's day based on their impact on a security line. That's it.

Edited to add: I'm not trying to be nasty. I also definitely don't think you're a terrible person and never said that. I've just had it with the reoccuring complaints about families holding up the line with gear and wanted to share my opinion on the matter since the topic arose again.

Last edited:
We bring what we need for the day because we aren’t the type of family that likes to take long midday breaks back at the room. There was a time that we were childless and would take a small purse only and that got us through the day...but now that we have 2 children (one in diapers still) and one who is a super picky eater we have to bring the works to the park. We bring snacks because the Mickey goldfish won’t work for our picky eater in a crunch...so in order for us to have happy kids we bring what we need...even when that means a big backpack. I reevaluate daily and adjust our contents accordingly and still I’ve found at times we didn’t have what we needed and had to spend our souvenir money on extra clothes or a diaper because we ran out. We’re all there to have fun and our bag full of stuff helps keep it fun for us!

I agree that the best way to enjoy the parks is to keep it light. Lugging around tons of junk in a heavy backpack or bag isn't magical. Everyone really needs certain items, some (families with small kids) need more than others, but people also often bring a lot of additional stuff that isn't at all necessary. I think the Internet contributes to this, as people read online advice of "must bring" items to carry. They often think they'll need a lot more than the reality calls for, or just feel insecure in a new place without being surrounded by a lot of their own stuff.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!