My sister is taking my DD (with ASD) - GAC ?

Reb0507

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone. I unfortunately cannot go to WDW as planned with Shelby, my DD who has ASD. We spoke/posted alot a few weeks back about the GAC and how to obtain it. etc. (Thank you by the way for everyone's help.)

My sister still wants to take Shelby on the trip (just the two of them). I have explained to my sister about how to get the GAC for Shelby. I have a few questions now that I wont be there...

1) Will they still issue Shelby the GAC even though her parent isnt the one asking for it?

2) Should I write a letter to Guest Services and explain the situation? My sister will still probably have Shelby's doctors note and medical records handy just in case they question anything.

3) My sister will more than likely be going to DTD with Shelby when they arrive that night. There she is going to the Guest Services at DTD to purchase her tickets and to fix a problem with Shelby's seasonal pass (they mistakenly gave her an adult pass when we were last there). At this guest services can my sister get the GAC or is it the GS in the front of the parks? They are hoping to save time and get tickets and what not the night before they hit MK.

Any advice, info would be great. Even though I cant go, i think Shelby is going to have a ball with her favorite aunt and I just want to make sure she can still use the GAC to make her trick go better.

Thanks

Rebecca

Reb0507 said:
Hi everyone. I unfortunately cannot go to WDW as planned with Shelby, my DD who has ASD. We spoke/posted alot a few weeks back about the GAC and how to obtain it. etc. (Thank you by the way for everyone's help.)

My sister still wants to take Shelby on the trip (just the two of them). I have explained to my sister about how to get the GAC for Shelby. I have a few questions now that I wont be there...

1) Will they still issue Shelby the GAC even though her parent isnt the one asking for it?
I don't think that will be a problem. They have never asked my relationship to my DD when I ask for a GAC.
2) Should I write a letter to Guest Services and explain the situation? My sister will still probably have Shelby's doctors note and medical records handy just in case they question anything.
She doesn't need a lot (and the CMs may not even want to see it), but it probably would make her feel more comfortable to have something from you that explains things a bit.
3) My sister will more than likely be going to DTD with Shelby when they arrive that night. There she is going to the Guest Services at DTD to purchase her tickets and to fix a problem with Shelby's seasonal pass (they mistakenly gave her an adult pass when we were last there). At this guest services can my sister get the GAC or is it the GS in the front of the parks? They are hoping to save time and get tickets and what not the night before they hit MK.
It is the Guest Services in the front of the park. She can go to GS in any of the parks, but from what I know, they don't issue GACs at DTD.
If they are hitting MK early that day, they may not need a GAC at all. We can't get to the parks early with DD (she needs too much care in the morning to get going fast). Other members of our party have gone to MK early and when DH and I were there in July, we were able to go on almost everything in Fantasyland (some more than once) and Haunted Mansion before 10:30 without really waiting for anything. They can always go to Guest Services later in the day to request the GAC.

Another thing you didn't ask about, but I thought I'd mention in case your daughter has never traveled without you, make sure her aunt has a copy of your medical/insurance card, contact phone numbers and a signed note that gives your permission for the aunt to authorize medical care. (Any hospital will perform medical care that is vital to keep the person alive in an emergency, but once it becomes needed, but not vital, things get more cloudy).

SueM in MN said:
I don't think that will be a problem. They have never asked my relationship to my DD when I ask for a GAC.

She doesn't need a lot (and the CMs may not even want to see it), but it probably would make her feel more comfortable to have something from you that explains things a bit.

It is the Guest Services in the front of the park. She can go to GS in any of the parks, but from what I know, they don't issue GACs at DTD.
If they are hitting MK early that day, they may not need a GAC at all. We can't get to the parks early with DD (she needs too much care in the morning to get going fast). Other members of our party have gone to MK early and when DH and I were there in July, we were able to go on almost everything in Fantasyland (some more than once) and Haunted Mansion before 10:30 without really waiting for anything. They can always go to Guest Services later in the day to request the GAC.

Another thing you didn't ask about, but I thought I'd mention in case your daughter has never traveled without you, make sure her aunt has a copy of your medical/insurance card, contact phone numbers and a signed note that gives your permission for the aunt to authorize medical care. (Any hospital will perform medical care that is vital to keep the person alive in an emergency, but once it becomes needed, but not vital, things get more cloudy).

I did not even think about that. Thank you so much for the reminder. I am going to write up a "power of attorney" stating that she can authorize medical care in my absence.

Thanks for the input. I am sure they will have a great time regardless and my sister is looking forward to the aunt/neice bonding. I wish I could go :guilty: . I am sure my sister will do well with her...my only concern is if she has a meltdown but I have coached my sister on it that she needs her "quiet safe place" when that happens.

Thanks again for all the advice. :flower:

Rebecca

Rebecca,

I just wanted to say sorry that you won't be able to go. I hope you plan another trip in the future with Shelby, there's nothing like Disney through the eyes of your child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter