My Luggage is Massive!!

clarabelle

<font color=green>Pandas don't seem to have much o
OK
Did I mess up? We are going to Ireland in June as most of you know.
We only had duffle bags so I ordered us some new luggage.

I checked the airline baggage allowances. Plus I knew that ABD only allowed one suitcase each.

Soo I got big ones. Almost the biggest allowed by the airlines.

They look HUGE. How big of a suitcase did you bring?

Be careful with those large suitcases...very easy to go over the weight allowance. We find the 24inch cases to be perfect size and almost impossible to go over the weight limit, unless you packed it with bricks!! I think the airlines allow the larger cases in hopes that you will go over and they will collect the extra $$...also the slightly smaller ones are much easier to handle. Is there any way you could exchange them? If not, just be aware of how much you put in them...and of course, have loads of fun!!!

OK
Did I mess up? We are going to Ireland in June as most of you know.
We only had duffle bags so I ordered us some new luggage.

I checked the airline baggage allowances. Plus I knew that ABD only allowed one suitcase each.

Soo I got big ones. Almost the biggest allowed by the airlines.

They look HUGE. How big of a suitcase did you bring?

I used to have two suitcases that were either 26 or 28 inches then it had wheels but I was within the dimensions and I never went over the weight limit even with 2 pairs of shoes it only weighed 46.5 pounds.

I need to get new luggage, on my trip to WDW last june the zipper broke on one then I took the other one this past WDW trip and it got ripped, they were over 15 years old so I need to buy new luggage. What kind did you get I am open to suggestions and I need to buy it soon my trip is 6 weeks away.

I went to ebags.com
and got Delsey for 2 bags and International Traveler for one. They had free shipping.

We got bright colors and didn't get anything matching.
I am just worried they are a bit on the big side. I might pretend pack in one this weekend and see how I do.

If they are bigger than the 24 inches then you will probably very easily go over the weight limit. You might want to check what the limits are for your particular airline for international travel. We always use the 24 inch and have a portable scale to weigh the suitcases before we leave and when we are returning. It is very small and easily fits in one of the outside pockets on the suitcase.

On our last cruise we let several people use it and they were grateful because their luggage was over weight and they were able to redistribute and not have to pay the fee. I can say this was the best $10 investment we ever made. We bought ours at Target, but they are available many places.

Remember that you are stayng fine hotels that have a luandry service. When my family and I traveled to China for two weeks we took advantage of the service. It cost no more than the locals. And Ireland is 8 days. We are bring only 3 small suitcases for a family of four on the Ireland trip in Aug.

Panda Fan -do you have teenage girls?;) I don't think I could get 9 days (we have extra day) of clothes into 3 small suitcases for the 4 of us.
You sound like pros.

I understood the laundry service at the hotels was silly expensive-and that there is no self serve. (I wouldn't want to do laundry on vacation anyway) I am not cheap as a rule -but It would be tough for me to spend large amounts of money on it. I guess I want the largest possible without worrying about being overweight

Thanks for your insights. I may downsize one of the cases.

If they are bigger than the 24 inches then you will probably very easily go over the weight limit. You might want to check what the limits are for your particular airline for international travel. We always use the 24 inch and have a portable scale to weigh the suitcases before we leave and when we are returning. It is very small and easily fits in one of the outside pockets on the suitcase.

On our last cruise we let several people use it and they were grateful because their luggage was over weight and they were able to redistribute and not have to pay the fee. I can say this was the best $10 investment we ever made. We bought ours at Target, but they are available many places.

I am going to disagree with you as I stated in a previous post my suitcases were between 26 and 28 inches and I packed them full and never went over the weight limit, in fact I had laundry detergent in my suitcase the last trip as I was leaving it in my owners locker and my suitcase weighted 48 pounds packed. These suitcases were 15 years old so they weren't very lightweight by themsleves either

i used small suitcases and too bad for the kids. they can wear something twice!!! nobody will remember! i suggest packing light.

Remember that you are stayng fine hotels that have a luandry service. When my family and I traveled to China for two weeks we took advantage of the service. It cost no more than the locals. And Ireland is 8 days. We are bring only 3 small suitcases for a family of four on the Ireland trip in Aug.

Not true here...we sent out three pairs of jeans, 3 shirts, 2 pr. socks and 4 pr. of undies all to be laundered at the Plaza Hotel in Killarney last May and it cost us 60 euros, yes 60 euros (about $80 at that time) - it was ridiculous! They go by weight, not by number of items and that's why it cost us so much! (You don't even want to know how much it was in Dublin...)

And there are no self serve laundromats in any of the hotels...

We have several Delsey bags and love them. They hold up really well - DH travels internationally every month and they really take a beating.

I take a 27" bag on most trips and never have a problem with weight. Pretend pack and see how you do. Remember to leave room for things you buy in Ireland!

I also have Delsey luggage. I use the 25" bag, and, even FULLY packed for winter travel, with hiking boots and jackets, I have never had a problem with it coming close to being overweight. But I don't carry books. I really think that sort of thing might push it over the top. My carryon is Delsey, also.

They are lightweight but have a really large inner capacity. The wheels also work really well (recessed roller-skate type wheels). That's really important.

I agree with the suggestions to pretend pack. That will give you a better idea of what you're in for. Better not to be surprised.

Sayhello

On an ABD where we won't have to shelp our luggage through railway stations and airports etc...
What are the advantages of packing really light?

i used small suitcases and too bad for the kids. they can wear something twice!!! nobody will remember! i suggest packing light.

you must have super-neat kids! By the end of each day of our ABD last year, I wanted to burn DD's clothes, not let her wear them again! They really pack (no pun intended) a lot into a day, and the outdoors nature of the adventure lends itself to some pretty dirty clothes.

OTH, we did only pack one bulky sweatshirt each, since we just pulled those on at night, and that worked fine. Though we were heartily sick of those by the end of the trip!

And, clarabelle, you're right. You are not the one schlepping. We never touched our bags once we checked them at our home airport until we checked them again for the return trip. The only thing I packed that I didn't need was books to read. There just wasn't that kind of down time on the trip.

And, clarabelle, you're right. You are not the one schlepping. We never touched our bags once we checked them at our home airport until we checked them again for the return trip. The only thing I packed that I didn't need was books to read. There just wasn't that kind of down time on the trip.
kristilew, I will just add here that ABD did not pick us up at baggage claim for Southwest Splendors. You had to collect your own luggage and then we all met up at Starbucks. So there may be a *little* schlepping involved. And unless they've changed it, there's no pre-day arranged by ABD for that trip, so if you arrive early, you're on your own for your luggage, along with any days afterwards. That being said, the only lugging involved besides that is putting the suitcase outside the door of your room the last day. If you can handle that, you'll be good to go!

I've never been one to do laundry while on vacation if I can get away with it. I can think of other things I'd rather be doing!!!!

Sayhello

oops, you're right, Sayhello! I'd blocked out the hour long wait for our bags at the Lima airport and the subsequent handling them through customs. Still, it's not like we had bricks in there anyway, and they were on wheels.

My main point being - no need to sacrifice too, too much in the "looking fabulous in your vacay photos" department :goodvibes

On Southwest Splendors, we're actually visiting friends in Sedona for three days before it starts, so we'll definitely be schlepping for ourselves on the front end. We're planning to just take our bags to the Amara resort the day the ABD starts (have cleared this with them already) and then meet up with the group. (I actually have a question for you on that but will post it on the other thread so I don't highjack this one!)

Well, we brought our suitcases that expand a few inches, but without the expansion, they actually fit in the carry on over head bins, but we did check baggage. I wouldn't say my kids are super neat :rotfl: But we definitely did not over pack. We did laundry in Cairns because the washing machine and dryer were in the room and easy to use, so that was about 3 or 4 days of our trip, and by the end of Sydney, all clothes had been worn and were filthy, but we did buy shirts and sweatshirts along the way so that was nice =)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter