My DVC perspective on DLR

mamatojon

DIS Veteran
We just returned from our whirlwind Disneyland trip, 2 days of driving, 3 days at the parks, and 2 more days of driving. I will *never* NEVER do that much driving with kids again. Ever. I want to be immediately committed if I ever utter the words, "let's take a road trip to Disney!" again. :scared1:

This was not our first trip to Disneyland, in fact we honeymooned there back in '93 and have taken many trips without kids prior to starting our WDW trips in '03. It wasn't our first trip with kids, either, we took my son when he was 18 months and then when my daughter was 6 mos and my son was 4 we went again. So it really surprised me how unprepared I was for this trip, how much I felt like a novice at it all! I am really spoiled by my long 2 week 1-BR WDW vacations, that became very very apparent this trip! LOL :rotfl:

Disneyland was soooooo busy the first day we were in the parks, it happened to be the opening day of the Nemo Subs (again, where was my head and what was I thinking? :headache:) We were told on Wednesday that Tuesday's attendance surpassed 65,000 people. Not sure if that is accurate, but it sure felt like it. I also remembered why I don't go to Disney in the summer. Another :headache:.

Anyway, on to the hotel. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, which was nice, but really not worth the money. We were upgraded to a fireworks/themepark view, which was really nice. I've never stayed at the GCH or PP hotels, so I can't comment on their value, but I really felt like they are seriously overcharging for the rooms at DLH. The hotel is obviously very old, and I expect things to not be as modern but they really have to compensate for that with lower prices. It was pretty, but not anywhere near what I am used to at SSR. Again, I am spoiled. :cloud9:

Food is way way way more expensive at DL. I know theme park food is expensive, but I always feel a lot of value for my money at WDW, the portions are huge so at least I feel like I'm getting something. The mickey bars were $4 and the frozen lemonade was $5! crazy. :scared1:

I loved being able to walk to the monorail and get right into Disneyland, that rocked. :thumbsup2

The second and third days at the parks were less crowded and therefore less frusturating, but I did notice a surprising lack of "niceness" on the part of the CMs the entire trip. I don't know if they were just really burnt out from the Nemo crowds or if it is a pervasive attitude at DL (I hope it is the former), but that Disney Magic was a bit lacking in many, in fact there were quite a few that were downright grumpy. I don't remember that from my previous DL visits. They also don't have the communication thing down, they cancelled early entry on Thursday without passing that on to the hotel guests (when we checked in Monday we were given a sheet that stated it was a selected day). We got up early and basically just waited outside of DL for an hour and a half (well, an hour outside Disney and 1/2 hr on Main St) when we all could have used another hour of sleep. I thought the least they could have done was put a sign in the elevators or doors, maybe a note with the morning paper? :idea: That really perturbed me.

I think I was more susceptible to feeling frustration given the heat, the crowds, and the aforementioned drive. Did I mention that I am never going on another road trip again? :lmao: Just want to make that clear. :laughing:

All in all we had a fun time, but I do have a bit of buyer's remorse now - which I never ever feel after coming back from WDW. I think the vast majority of our trips are going to be to Florida from here on out, and if they ever build a DL DVC, I will have 1. FLY there, 2. stay a minimum of a week, and 3. not go in the summer or around the opening of any ride. I really didn't do my homework this time! :eek: :teacher:

Christine,

We just got back a couple of hours ago from a 3 day trip as well. We stayed at the GCH. We really had a great time. We have stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, and we agree, it is starting to show it's age. I compare it to the Contemporary at WDW. When you go again stay at the GCH. It is a totally different experience. As to your comment on the Cast Members, you must have caught a few of them at a bad time. We had great interactions with all of them. I would say that the cast members are about the same on both coasts. Anyway, thanks for the quick report.

Christine,

We just got back a couple of hours ago from a 3 day trip as well. We stayed at the GCH. We really had a great time. We have stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, and we agree, it is starting to show it's age. I compare it to the Contemporary at WDW. When you go again stay at the GCH. It is a totally different experience. As to your comment on the Cast Members, you must have caught a few of them at a bad time. We had great interactions with all of them. I would say that the cast members are about the same on both coasts. Anyway, thanks for the quick report.

That's good to hear, on both counts! I've never stayed at the Contemporary, just VWL, SSR, and the Ft Wilderness Cabins - at Disneyland we always stayed offsite. I'll have to try the GCH the next time we go. I just watched a Great Hotels we had Tivo'd on the GCH, it looks like it is very similar to WL, I'm sure I'd love it.

I'm glad to hear that you had good experiences with the CMs, sounds like I just was a bit unlucky a few times! That makes me happy though because I would hate to think that there was less concern for the guest at DL. Did you get to ride the subs at all? Everytime we looked there was a two to three hour wait, so we passed.

Thanx for the report, mamatojon.
We have visited DLR twice in the past year, and enjoyed both trips very much. We stayed at the GC both times, but we walked th the DLH and PP to check them out. We thought DLH was very nice. I didn't see where it showed age, with the exception of looking at the Bonita Tower from a distance. Up close it looked nice IMO.
On the other hand, PPH we thought was not even close to Disney standards. That was a real disapointment IMO. :smokin:

By the way, did you enjoy the drive from Washington State?

MG

We have stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, and we agree, it is starting to show it's age. I compare it to the Contemporary at WDW.

The Disneyland Hotel opened in 1955, so it is very, very old!

The Disneyland Hotel is showing it's age a bit,and is scheduled for a total remodel/overhaul starting this fall, from reports we hear out here in CA. That has sparked DVC rumors at the DLH.
We've stayed at all the DLR hotels, and sheepishly admit to liking PPH better than the rest. The rooms at PPH were all remodeled just a few years ago. GCH is gorgeous, but the rooms are tiny, and the hallways long, and confusing.
The DLH Bonita Tower, IMHO, should become a DVC. It has a huge empty lobby area on the ground floor that could accomodate a DVC style gift/grocery. The outside has that great walk behind waterfall, and koi ponds. Also a quiet pool, in addition to the Neverland theme pool, and is somewhat closer to the DLH restaurants.

Did you use points to stay at DLH? I just booked the GC for Labor day weekend on points. I am so excited to go! I have heard that the CMs on the west coast are actually better than WDW. Sorry you had some not so nice encounters.

We went to DL last summer and stayed at the DLH on points. Our room was large and in good shape. We did not spend much time in common areas other than the pool, so I really didn't notice too many problems. We were in the parks in early June and the crowds were not too bad at all. It seems like the longest wait we had for anything was around 20-30 minutes. I believe we checked in on a Wednesday and had read to try to avoid being in the parks on the weekend. Maybe the timing of being there on opening day of Nemo and the large crowds are to blame for the CM's lack of "magic". Sorry your trip wasn't the greatest.

By the way, did you enjoy the drive from Washington State?
MG

LOL, NO! :laughing: :eek: :rotfl:

"Jon poked me!"
"Julia pinched me!"
"Stop singing Jon! I'm the person!" (she is three, this is what she says when she doesn't want anyone else to talk)
"JU-LI-UHHH! MOOOOOOMMMMMM!"

OMG, it was crazy. :lmao:

Seriously though, we did have some good times on the drive, it wasn't all bad. I just much prefer flying. :thumbsup2

I think I've left you all with the impression that we had a rotten time or something, we didn't at all! I was just giving my impression as a comparison to DVC and WDW and my experiences at both. I'm not obsessing or anything and I am truly glad to hear that I might have just bumped into a few more grumpies than usual. I agree, gracelrm, the Nemo crowds were probably a huge factor. I'm mostly laughing and sighing at myself for putting so little forethought into the trip that I didn't consider any of these things. When I say I'm spoiled by my WDW trips, I don't just mean DVC, I also mean going in January when the crowds are low, going for two weeks, etc. I just didn't think about how different it was going to be since I had been there before, I guess! Doh! :idea:

My kids had a great time, they really enjoyed Casey Jr, Alice in Wonderland, and the Sun Wheel. I thought my son would like Indiana Jones, but after he got off he declared it too scary and was a bit mad at me for suggesting that he go on it. Oops!

Did you use points to stay at DLH? I just booked the GC for Labor day weekend on points. I am so excited to go! I have heard that the CMs on the west coast are actually better than WDW. Sorry you had some not so nice encounters.

Yes, we did, 19 points a night. The CM said the rack rate on the room we had was $270 plus a $10 resort fee, and I don't think it would be worth those rates at all. I feel okay about our use of points though, and from what everyone else here is saying it sounds like our experiences with CMs was unique and that the GCH is definitely worth your points. Have a great trip, I'm sure it will be magical. :wizard:

Your descriptions of the car ride really made me laugh.
I, too, am a "mamatojon," and I have a daughter. We have made many long car trips to WDW in Florida, so I can relate to your experiences. One year my daughter (who was about 4 at the time) complained loudly most of the way that "we're only going to stupid Disney World because mommy wants to go." She had fun once she got there, though.
My kids are 15 and 13 now, but still find reasons to disagree and tease one another, especially in the car. Somehow all of that family togetherness doesn't always feel like a vacation.
We have not gone to DL yet, but might get there some day, so thanks for sharing.

Oh your description of the car trip sounded soooo much like me and my brother when we were kids. :) We were very big on not being touched by the other person (but "accidentally" nudging the other one was fine). Since driving then was less expensive than flying, my poor mom and dad (separately) had to put up with quite a bit! The fave drive, I'm sure, was my dad (6'2"), stepmom (5'11"), pre-teen me and 2 years younger than me brother, AND our under 1 year old half-brother in an 80s massive carseat. In summer. With no air conditioning. From the Bay Area to Montana (Yellowstone).

In a 4-door Toyota Corolla.

Ah, good times, good times. (and I was in a Michael Jackson phase and INSISTED we play the tape I had MULTIPLE times a day).

:scared:

So anyway, thank you for your little trip report! It's interesting to hear from someone in WA (like me) who is a DVC member (like we want to be despite NEVER having been to WDW) and who went to Disneyland. :)

I can tell you from experience that DL in late Sept or early October is MUCH better. Highly recommend those times for a future visit. And maybe, just maybe, not when something new is opening. :upsidedow

So why did you drive?

So why did you drive?

Oh, the question that I asked myself over and over again...

Well, a few reasons.

1. It still was cheaper, our car averaged about 35 MPG so we ended up saving about $300 versus the cost of airfare. Was it worth the savings? Not in retrospect.

2. I homeschool, and silly me thought that my son might get something educational out of seeing a bit of America. Didn't really happen, although we did have some discussions about agriculture. :rolleyes:

3. I've done the drive before, and had a lot of fun! Of course, that was just the two of us... there was a bit of romanticizing the aspect of a road trip, based on my previous non-comparable experience. :teacher:

LOL, it was not one of my better thought out ideas. ;)

We drove from Oregon 3 summers ago, when our youngest DD was 2.... and the other DDs were 9 and 12 (yes, 5 of us for a 18-20 hour drive. :lmao:
Everyone thought we were nuts!! :rotfl:
Actually, it was the best trip we ever had - and we have such great memories of it. I was amazed at how smoothly the drive went (and how patient some very impatient kids can be). Of course, it helped having a van, and each having there own "space", plus a portable DVD to pass the time. We have flown several times (and will fly to DL again this August :goodvibes ) but this still is the most memorable, and the oldest DD talks about it all the time!! Would I do it again?? :confused3 Maybe.
Of course with the price of gas right now, it likely wouldn't save us much money - and the extra days off of work could be taken at another time. I think every family should take a road trip like this at least once! Like I told my friend - "we're making memories.....nobody says they are going to all be good, but they are things you will remember!".:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :lmao: :lmao:

"we're making memories.....nobody says they are going to all be good, but they are things you will remember!".:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :lmao: :lmao:

Ain't that the truth! I'm joking about it like it was the trip from you know where, but truth be told we actually did have a good time overall on the drive. The kids got along the majority of the time, those bickering moments just are burned in my memory.

We even had a few moments of excitement on the way home where we got to assist the State Patrol in catching a bad guy! Can't do that on a plane. There was a driver ahead of us who was very obviously either drunk or high or something so my husband dialed 911, he works in law enforcement so he had all the "lingo" down and knew what direction we were heading, mile markers, and so on. The 911 dispatcher said we were the 12th caller and to hold on she was going to patch him through to that unit (Vancouver, WA) because they were looking to "set someone up" - they had us follow the guy and report on his position for about 5 miles until a marked car pulled behind us and put his lights on. My husband overheard the dispatcher telling the officer on the radio about his warrants, apparently the guy had a domestic violence warrant! So hopefully, somebody's life was spared, he was going 50mph in the rain, at night, with no lights on! That was exciting. :3dglasses

Now see, you're already re-writing the bad experience into a fun one. Come next year, you'll be ALL ready to drive again. :)

35 mpg! Can I ask what kind of car you have? Although I guess our VW gets that kind of mileage on the highway, I just haven't done a roadtrip in so long I've forgotten!

You homeschool, yay! I bet the agriculture discussions involved "what's that smell?" "That's manure on the artichoke fields." .... "What's that smell?" "That's manure on MORE artichoke fields." repeat as needed. :)

Now see, you're already re-writing the bad experience into a fun one. Come next year, you'll be ALL ready to drive again. :)

35 mpg! Can I ask what kind of car you have? Although I guess our VW gets that kind of mileage on the highway, I just haven't done a roadtrip in so long I've forgotten!

You homeschool, yay! I bet the agriculture discussions involved "what's that smell?" "That's manure on the artichoke fields." .... "What's that smell?" "That's manure on MORE artichoke fields." repeat as needed. :)

LOL, that's about the sound of it. "Those are, ummm... probably oranges. I think they are oranges." "Those... well they are vines, so I'm going to guess grapes." "Those, well, those are very young trees, probably oranges." "Those are cows, Jon. Please, you knew that. Yes, they are probably going to be hamburgers." :rotfl:My son has my sense of humor.

We have a Toyota Matrix, so not far off from your trip in a Corolla. Not the ideal road trip car, but it was nice to not have to spend a whole lot on gas.

Next year, we will probably have another addition to our family - so I certainly hope we won't be crazy enough to do another road trip! :eek: :scared1: :lmao: I think I would need to be sedated. LOL.

We just spent 2 hours driving to DLR , and we live in CA! We spent another 2 hours in the queue to ride the subs. It's great BTW. We loved the new Pirate overlay on Tom Sawyer's Island. And we spoke with the DVC CM, but no new news.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter