My Dreams Travel Agent or MIL's Friend?

Duckbug.Ducktales

Listening to the music to Fantasmic!
Planning to do a Disney Cruise to Hawaii next Fall with MIL, who has Hawaii and a Disney Cruise on her bucket list. DH and I already have a TA with Dreams but MIL has a friend who recently became a TA with Cruizzzin.com and wants to use her friend if possible. I've never heard of that site, though. I have two placeholders to use for this sailing (one cabin for DH and I and one for MIL) but haven't transferred them to either agent. What would you do?

I don't want MIL's friend to feel bad, but I'd feel more comfortable that my TA will do a good job getting us the staterooms we want, including a handicap verandah for MIL, and knows the ropes of opening day pricing, castaway club levels, etc. Or am I overthinking things and someone who isn't a Disney TA will be fine doing a Disney booking all the same?

If you've had the placeholders for more than 30 days, it's a moot point - they can't be transferred after that.

I'd personally stick with who I know.

Since the next cruise you want to book is going to be a high stakes cruise I would stick with what you know if you are happy with your current agent. If anyone asked would just say it was already booked (technically true) and you'll keep them in mind for new vacations. Lower stakes ones but they don't need to know that...

If MIL's friend is good they will be around to book future cruises and if they aren't then you certainly wouldn't be able to keep them afloat anyway single handedly. It does take a village, but try not to get hung up on family politics and get down on yourself. Easier said than done I know...!

Stick with the travel agent you already are established with. Your MILs friend if just starting out will have time to build experience and you can book through them in the future if you wish.

I'm a former travel agent, I never gamble with my travel plans.
I believe she was a TA before sometime ago, I just don't think she has any experience with Disney travel and that worries me because things can work a little differently, afaik

I believe she was a TA before sometime ago, I just don't think she has any experience with Disney travel and that worries me because things can work a little differently, afaik
If you are ok about putting MIL and her friend's feelings first then book with the friend.
On the other hand, if you are hiring a TA to put your Disney cruise needs first then choose an experienced Disney TA.

are you sure there is no agent on your placeholder? mine always asks if I want to use the same and I choose yes. I would either keep your existing TA, or let your MIL use her for her room and take her chances. I wouldn't be someone's rookie DCL cruise for such an expensive trip.
Yeah, I chose "no" to keeping my existing TA when doing the placeholder because MIL had been talking about using her friend so it would give me more time to think it over

Given all the advice on here, I was thinking I'd send the placeholder reservation numbers to my regular Dreams TA and just have the peace of mind. But Before I did that, MIL called and said she was having her friend call me sometime today to talk about the cruise :oops:
I suppose I should at least talk to her and then I can gauge her experience--maybe she has done Disney Cruises in the past and I just don't know (doubt it). I feel like I should at least take the call and see, and I'll expect (perhaps erroneously) everyone to be adults if I still decide I want to be comfortable given we're spending over $13K on the two staterooms for this trip. With any luck, she won't call today and I'll just send the placeholders to my TA and be off the hook, lol. 🤞
Then if she calls tomorrow: "sorry, we're all set now but we'll keep you in mind for the next"

Other option: let your MIL book with her friend and you with your established business relationship. Get your Placeholder deposit back. You are out nothing.

Also depends on who is footing the bill.

But if you are the one doing all the interaction with TA, I’d go with what you know (and was happy with).

Is your MIL understanding - or would she hold it over your head for choosing your TA? And if something went wrong with her friend, would she hold that over your head?

Mixing business, friendships, and family. I do not envy you. Good luck.

Other option: let your MIL book with her friend and you with your established business relationship. Get your Placeholder deposit back. You are out nothing.

Also depends on who is footing the bill.

But if you are the one doing all the interaction with TA, I’d go with what you know (and was happy with).

Is your MIL understanding - or would she hold it over your head for choosing your TA? And if something went wrong with her friend, would she hold that over your head?

She's paying for her room and we're paying for ours (at least that's the plan, we'll probably end up helping out a lot), but I'm doing all the interactions and planning.

MIL likes to support her friends when they have their own businesses/ventures--I totally understand that and would do the same. She'll be grumpy for a while if we don't go with her friend. But she'll get over it, lol. She loves me like her own child and won't stay mad for long. Then when we board the ship and she finally gets to be on a Disney Cruise and go to Hawaii, she'll be over the moon.

Another vote for go with your established TA. I wouldn't chance not getting exactly what you want on your trip. Too much time and money to risk someone without enough experience not getting it right. Hope you have a great cruise whatever you decide to do!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice. I sent the placeholder numbers to my TA this morning! Spoke to MIL last night who said she's "disappointed" that I wouldn't give her friend a chance--I essentially said I would at some point on a lower stakes cruise. But the friend was supposed to call me yesterday anyway, and didn't, so I felt like I had an out.

These two quotes... so true! 😵‍💫😵😆
It does take a village, but try not to get hung up on family politics and get down on yourself. Easier said than done I know...!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice. I sent the placeholder numbers to my TA this morning! Spoke to MIL last night who said she's "disappointed" that I wouldn't give her friend a chance--I essentially said I would at some point on a lower stakes cruise. But the friend was supposed to call me yesterday anyway, and didn't, so I felt like I had an out.

These two quotes... so true! 😵‍💫😵😆
You made the right decision. Maybe this will be a lesson to the friend. If she says she's going to call, then call or she will lose out on getting clients. Glad it worked out for you.

That no phone call will always be your ace in the hole! I imagine you feel relieved. And nice to hear you have a good relationship with MIL (especially if you are cruising together).

And you’re going to Hawai’i! I’ve been there many times, just not on a cruise. Love the Aloha spirit. Hope it’s a great bucket list check-off.

Each island has its own feel. Enjoy!

. I sent the placeholder numbers to my TA this morning! Spoke to MIL last night who said she's "disappointed" that I wouldn't give her friend a chance--I essentially said I would at some point on a lower stakes cruise. But the friend was supposed to call me yesterday anyway, and didn't, so I felt like I had an out.
Imagine the disaster if your MIL's friend screwed something up. Glad you're sticking with your TA (and for the love of god, hope she doesn't screw something up);)

Imagine the disaster if your MIL's friend screwed something up. Glad you're sticking with your TA (and for the love of god, hope she doesn't screw something up);)
Yeah, really hope our TA doesn't make a mistake given the circumstances, lol

There are only 6 accessible verandahs on the Disney Wonder (excluding the concierge ones). Hopefully our TA can grab one of those for MIL on our booking day next week and then something nearby for DH and I

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter