Must Cardholder Pay to Receive DVC Member Discount?

JWhiz

Mouseketeer
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but I did not see it based on a recent search. I have had a mixed bag of enforcement on this issue when I was an annual passholder (with WDW seemingly more "flexible" than DLR). I am headed to Disneyland this weekend. I no longer have an annual pass, so any discounts I receive are through my DVC membership. If I show my card for a discount, say at a meal, do I have to be the one to pay?

I know that cash makes it a moot point, but let's say my friend and I are splitting meals. I guess I could ask for a separate check and pay for mine with the discount. I would rather produce the DVC card, and then no matter whose credit card is used, still receive the DVC discount. Note that we are not staying at a DVC resort or on points during this trip.

At WDW, last visit in October, folks seems accommodating for almost all things, including merchandise. Just show the card and then whoever wanted to pay it was fine. Disneyland I have specifically had food line clerks refuse the card if I wasn't also paying or vice versa. This was a annual pass discount, but I'm not sure if DVC is handled the same way.

Is there anything definitive out there that someone has seen? Anecdotal experience is helpful, but it would be better if there was a strict policy. I understand "non-transferable" but in this case I would say it's not being transferred as I'm still part of the party. Should I just be grateful that some have accepted it regardless and not being upset when others don't?

Policy is the DVC member is supposed to pay in order to receive the discount. Some CMs are very strict, others not so much.

Enforcement of the DVC perks is a hit or miss and really how the CM has been trained, is what we have experienced so far at the parks.

In my experience, most of the Disney World Table Service restaurants don't care. None of the non-Disney restaurants care (say the restaurants at Disney Springs).

I have a blue and purple card. I packed my blue card for my trip tomorrow is that correct?

Also, I have been with my mom and Im the DVC owner and when she pays, there is never an issue. I didnt even think it mattered.

Thanks.

Take the card that still has a valid date that covers your trip.

New-Iridescent-card_updated-WEST.png

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but I did not see it based on a recent search. I have had a mixed bag of enforcement on this issue when I was an annual passholder (with WDW seemingly more "flexible" than DLR). I am headed to Disneyland this weekend. I no longer have an annual pass, so any discounts I receive are through my DVC membership. If I show my card for a discount, say at a meal, do I have to be the one to pay?

I know that cash makes it a moot point, but let's say my friend and I are splitting meals. I guess I could ask for a separate check and pay for mine with the discount. I would rather produce the DVC card, and then no matter whose credit card is used, still receive the DVC discount. Note that we are not staying at a DVC resort or on points during this trip.

At WDW, last visit in October, folks seems accommodating for almost all things, including merchandise. Just show the card and then whoever wanted to pay it was fine. Disneyland I have specifically had food line clerks refuse the card if I wasn't also paying or vice versa. This was a annual pass discount, but I'm not sure if DVC is handled the same way.

Is there anything definitive out there that someone has seen? Anecdotal experience is helpful, but it would be better if there was a strict policy. I understand "non-transferable" but in this case I would say it's not being transferred as I'm still part of the party. Should I just be grateful that some have accepted it regardless and not being upset when others don't?

At DL they'll be more strict with DVC discounts too. It's just what they're trained for. WDW - completely hit or miss.

When my dad went with us he insisted on paying for everything. I used DVC or TiW. He made a big deal about how it was the first time I ever saved him money?

I have never had an issue using my DVC card and my DD who is not on that particular DVC membership paying. I bring out the card, the discount is applied to the bill, and she pays with her CC. This occurs in both restaurants and stores.

At a gift shop in AKL a cast member noticed that I handed two items and the cash to pay for them to my sister who is a DVC member. The merchandise discount was 20% that year and we had done this at other stores. This was in the middle of the store, we weren’t even near the check out counter. She actually told us that my sister could not purchase the items in order to get a discount for me. She even said she could be reprimanded if she allowed it. We just decided not to purchase anything at all in that shop.

We are DVC members and my MIL is not. When she is with us and we eat at a restaurant I show my card and she pays the bills. We have never had anyone in a restaurant say anything. One cast member in a store gave us a hard time about it...buy did give us the discount.
If you are nervous about it your friend can buy some Disney gift cards and use those instead.

I have a blue and purple card. I packed my blue card for my trip tomorrow is that correct?

Also, I have been with my mom and Im the DVC owner and when she pays, there is never an issue. I didnt even think it mattered.

Thanks.
What's the purple card?

Ive been made to be the payer at Raglan Road, The Boathouse, as well as numerous Disney restaurants and gift shops in the parks and resorts. It happens so often, I just expect I’m going to have to pay for the group.
It was never a big deal as it was of course with family or friends and we just squared up later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter