Musings on cheap Kissimmee Hotels: The Continental Hotel

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
The cheapest hotels seem to lie on I-192 between the 535 intersection and Wal-Mart. There, you can find hotels for as low as $20. I've always been curious about them, so one time in August, I didn't make a reservation for a hotel and decided to try one of these cheap places for a night. I decided to try the Continental Hotel.

Outside, the hotel didn't look like much. It was OK looking, but I wasn't expecting Portifino Bay for $20 a night! The lobby had a strong smell of spicy food. The hotel's final cost was around $26 with tax and incdental charges. I had to leave $5 cash deposit for the key.

The room itself was a standard and generic hotel room. There were two beds, a nightstand, a TV, and a table with chairs. The door was made from thin wood. The room was clean, but it had some faults. The room had some sort of must or dust in the room. You couldn't see it, but you could smell and taste it. As I was in the room, I could feel and taste musty dust in the back of my throat. There was a refrigerator, but it wasn't plugged in because it had no ice in the freezer and was pretty warm. Opening the fridge was like opening Pandora's Box. I opened the door and then all of a sudden, a nasty odor came out and I closed the door shut! I couldn't find the plug for the fridge. There were also power cords from the lights, TV, and other electronics plugged into a six plug cube. These looked like the things the Superfriends warned you not to plug things into or you might start a fire.

The bathroom was clean, but there were no towels or shampoo. They supplied a bar of soap, toliet paper, and a paper thing to put your wet feet on. It didn't soak up the water very well. I had suspected there would be no towels in the room, so I brought my own.

The room was OK, but I couldn't help think that I can get Orlando area hotels for $20 a night off Priceline. The cost of those rooms with tax and the Priceline fee was around $28. I've never had a complaint about Priceline rooms. They aren't the Portifino, but they were clean and were nice places to shower and sleep. I could've gone to Priceline and gotten a much better room for a few dollars more. Still, if you want someplace to just sleep and shower, you can't beat $20 a night at these cheap hotels. Just remember to bring shampoo and towels.

Ah, Barry! A man after my own heart.

I still have fond memories of paying $19 a night to sleep in a shoebox of a room (actually a spare bedroom of a larger condo unit) at a resort that wasn't doing too well way up Rt 192.

Ahh, Barry Hom, the KING of the cheap hotel...

We have GOT to get you married so your wife will keep you OUT of these dives!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter