Moving to Florida - Tampa or Jacksonville?

4Hawks

"Be a goldfish" - Ted Lasso
We live in the Atlanta suburbs and have been considering a move to Florida for a while now. My dad and in-laws live in Miami, and we're getting tired of the 10+ hours drive every year. We'd also love to be closer to the beach and to WDW (of course).

We don't like South Florida, but have visited Jacksonville and Tampa and both look like good choices (plus we have family or friends in both cities). We'd prefer a larger, more urban, more diverse city. My husband is a software developer and I do public health research (which could make it harder for me to find a job in either of these places). Kid-friendly and decent schools are critical, since we have 2 little ones.

I'd love to hear from those who live or have lived in these cities. TIA!

I am very familiar with both cities, for me, it would be Tampa without a seconds hesitation. I would never move to Jax but would move to Tampa in a second.

Tampa - hands down, just for the culture and affluence of the city. I have never been impressed by Jacksonville.

I grew up right outside of Tampa. I love the area. We vacation there every year, not just because of the family and friends still there, but because we love it.

We live in the Atlanta suburbs and have been considering a move to Florida for a while now. My dad and in-laws live in Miami, and we're getting tired of the 10+ hours drive every year. We'd also love to be closer to the beach and to WDW (of course).

We don't like South Florida, but have visited Jacksonville and Tampa and both look like good choices (plus we have family or friends in both cities). We'd prefer a larger, more urban, more diverse city. My husband is a software developer and I do public health research (which could make it harder for me to find a job in either of these places). Kid-friendly and decent schools are critical, since we have 2 little ones.

I'd love to hear from those who live or have lived in these cities. TIA!

For schools...not Jacksonville. Outside of it, St Johns or Clay counties, yes.
We have a good zoo. A couple of museums. Several sports teams.
Certain areas have more crime than others (like anywhere), so I would avoid those areas.

But...
Tampa has much more for families, I think. We struggled to find things to do with our son when he was 4, that didn't involve us driving hours out of our way or doing the same museum over and over.

Another vote for Tampa. My mother lived in Clearwater Beach for a number of years and Tampa is just across the bridge. We loved the area and I wouldn't hesitate to move back if given the opportunity.

I don't know enough about both cities to give personal advice, but my cousin lives in the master planned community of Nocatee outside of Jacksonville, and couldn't be happier. Moved from Long Island a few years ago, she and her husband raising their 3 boys there. Just something for you to look into.

DH grew up in Tampa and we lived in Ponte Vedra Beach (near Jacksonville) for about a year. Tampa has a lot going for it, but I loved living in Ponte Vedra Beach. We lived across A1A from the beach and very close to the TPC course at Sawgrass. Because it's so close to southern Georgia, the weather is a bit more temperate and it hasn't really gotten hit too hard by hurricanes.

My dad lives in jax, technically Fruit Cove, and loves it. I second St. John's county school systems. Nocatee is going to be a huge development when done.

I lived in the South Side of Jacksonville for 4 years. My MIL lives in St Johns county in Julington Creek Plantation. I grew up in Orlando. My father lives in Tampa.

Jacksonville, as in Duval County, is divided into four major areas. There's the North side which has seen a lot of rehabbing and development. This is where the airport is. It's a lot nicer than it used to be, but still up and coming. The West side is more country, cheaper, but definitely not as nice. I would not live there. The beaches area is nice, schools are ok. Can be expensive. The south side has great pockets. Like all cities, the major thoroughfares get very congested. They are reworking some of the major arteries which should make it easier to get around. After the beach, and shopping in the south side, there isn't really a lot to do for younger kids. There is Mosh downtown, and that's it. Then you have St. Johns county which is over the St. Johns river. This is where you want to be. Amazing schools, great developments, low crime rates, newer facilities like restaurants and stores. Can be a hike to downtown if that's where you work, but not terrible. Nocatee and Julington Creek are great places to look. Home prices are on the rise everywhere, and Duval/St Johns counties are not exempt.

Tampa has a ton more to do. There are very ritzy places, and very slummy places. I do not know their school situation. If you can afford the more "posh" lifestyle, I think you will fair better in Tampa. However, Tampa is hotter temp wise. That can be a pro or a con. But there really isn't too much difference between 100 and 98 :) Plus, Jameis Winston lives in Tampa, so that's a giant plus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter