Motion Sick on Soarin Over California

DonnaRy

Mouseketeer
Silly question, but both my husband and I suffer from motion sickness and I'm concerned about going on Soarin Over California. We both can't handle Star Tours or Space Mountain, but can ride everything else. I would hate to miss the biggest attraction at DCA when we go in March.

How much of a motion feeling is there on Soarin? Is it a combo IMAX theater and motion simulator?

Any help in describing the ride would be appreciated. :)

poohmail.gif

Donna, let me see if I can help. I really don't think motion sickness will be an issue at all, but I don't get motion sick so I may not be the best judge.

You basically sit in a chair that is hanging from this BIG dome room...there are several rows, with about eight to a set, and about three to four sets in each row. The room darkens, and you are then lifted up and surrounded by a HUGE IMAX screen and you really feel like you're flying! The cars do tilt some to heighten the effect, but it's really minimal motion, not at all jarring like Star Tours. It's a SPECTACULAR ride and I really hope you decide to try it! :)

Michelle
Assistant Webmaster
Cruise & Inspiration Board Co-Host
Disneyland Board Co-Host

YES, it probably will! I haven't been on it yet, but like you, I get motion sickness fairly easily. I have a hard time in IMAX theaters that don't have moving seats. Motion sickness occurs partially because of the information that your eyes take in. So, I have had to close my eyes at IMAX theaters! I would say try it though, you can always close your eyes! I will be at DL/DCA the week of Valentines Day and plan to put up a trip report soon after I return. Look for it--I will try to remember to tell you if it made me nauseous.

My dad suffers from motion sickness and he was fine on this ride. ;)

My DH suffers from motion sickness - and HATES Star Tours, but can go on ANY rollercoaster. He says that a big contributor to the sick feeling is the lack of air circulation inside the simulator.

Soarin' sounds like you might have some wind blowing in your face (to simulate the flying thing). Maybe that would help those of you who get motion sickness (if you're like DH...)

54 days and counting til DL/DCA!!!!

<font size=4 color=#FF0066>D°o°die</font>
bullseye.gif

March 2001 - Our first trip to Disneyland!! (Grand Californian)
March 2000 - WDW (All Star Music)
May 1998 - WDW (Dixie Landings)
March 1997 - WDW (Dixie Landings)
May 1996 - WDW (Dixie Landings)
March 1995 - WDW (Dixie Landings)
March 1994 - WDW (Honeymoon! Dixie Landings)

I'm also concerned about this. Body Wars and Star Tours make me queazy as do those motion movie theatres. I would also like to hear people's opinions. Thanks.

14 days 'til 1st ever trip to DL!

engagement.jpg

FW-`80, '84, '88
DxL-'91
WDW International Program Canada Pavillion '97-'98
---Vista Way July '97-April '98
---Commons April '98 - July '98
---WL, CS, ASMu, BW, PO, Poly
Offsite-Feb '99
ASMovies-Feb '00
WL, BC, DCL-Sept '00
DL, Grand Californian-Feb '01,
WDW Sept '01?

I was there on Sunday at 730 am. They had to switch theaters because one of the guests had done a little splash effect on soaring.

I would say that this is a definitive answer to your question.

By the way, it was a great ride, I loved it. And I got to be in the first row of the next show after the hurl happened!

Count me out then. I am like Dodie's DH. I can ride any rollercoaster they put me on. But those virtual reality things where the motion you feel doesn't match what you see (like on a cruise boat Michelle) well I am looking for the nearest restroom.

jane.gif

Disney Vacation Club Board Co-Moderator
DVC and Cruise Chat Hostess
Cruise Board List Mistress

<font size=4 color=blue font face="Comic Sans MS">Robin

The motion is very slight. I think the biggest concern would be the Imax Screen. I don't get motion sickness at all, but I do feel a little dizzy when I go to Imax movies. I was fine on soaring, but I think I would have felt a little dizzy if it had gone on much longer. The effects are overwhelming, but amazing. It's one of the best attractions at any of the Disney parks. - Karen

Wow, thanks to everyone who replied so far.

Looks like there is a big difference of opinion though on if it's safe to ride with motion sickness.

I'm looking forward to the trip reports to get some more info before our trip in March. :)

poohmail.gif

I would give this ride a try, even if you normally get motion sickness. Unlike Star Tours, you can actually close your eyes on this ride and not feel too much motion. My son gets motion sickness and all he did was close his eyes at the beginning. THen he got used to the mild motion and enjoyed the rest of the trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter