Most unique afternoon/evening dining?

cruisehopeful

DIS Veteran
I'm going to offer a DVC stay to my daughter and her husband in June. AFAIK, they would be doing a non-park visit. My SIL enjoys fine dining and my daughter enjoys atmosphere (she's a Disney person, her husband is not). My daughter is gluten free and my SIL can't handle a lot of dairy. Other than that, I don't think they have any dietary restrictions, but I have a feeling that my daughter wouldn't want any seafood. Due to their sleep schedule and the time change, they won't be eating breakfast.

I'm a west coaster and I don't know which dining locations are the most unique in both food and experience. I feel like I always hear Victoria and Alberts and Gideon's bakery. I believe my daughter would want to go to Gideon's bakery even if she could only get a cold brew coffee. What are some others? It can be at any of the hotels or at Disney Springs.

Kind of related - my daughter is a Harry Potter fan. Is there anything worth noting food wise over at Universal?

The restaurants at AKL (Jiko, Sanaa, and Boma) tend to be more exotic than your typical theme park restaurants.

Not sure if they are interested in any character dining with your SIL not being a Disney person, but Storybook Dining at Wilderness Lodge has more elevated food than your typical character experience.

As for Universal, there really isn't anything Harry Potter themed outside of the parks so she'd need a ticket to experience that or any of the HP restaurants.

For interesting and wonderfully done food, Jiko at AK Lodge is a top pick - pricier and more high-end, but a great experience, service, and food quality.

For scenic atmosphere, several restaurants at Disney Springs have outdoor dining overlooking the lake - Boathouse and Summer House are two that also serve pretty good food. California Grill at Contemporary and Topolino's Terrace at Riviera both have good food and lovely rooftop views. Geyser Point is a casual outdoor (roof, but no walls) bar/restaurant at Wilderness Lodge on the lake, and if you are there at the right time, the Electric boat parade stops right in front.

For dinner with some entertainment, Edison has 20s style dancing and music at certain times, Hoop De Doo review at Fort Wilderness is campy fun with all-you-can-eat BBQ and old west revue shows, Raglan Road has good food in a huge Irish pub atmosphere with Irish bands playing and Irish dancers performing. The aforementioned Storybook Dining at Wilderness Lodge does character dining upscale, or for more casual fare, the Whispering Canyon does all you can eat BBQ with campy waitstaff and lots of silly 'in's that regulars will know and newbies will figure out.

For bars, trying to get into Trader Sam's can be difficult, but it's an awful lot of fun and I think worth it for any first-timers. They also serve light appetizers. And for evening entertainment, Yehaa Bob has a big following at Riverside resort - bar service and some appetizers there too...fun piano sing-along and Bob is an institution.

Hoop Dee Doo is a great show
Also agree with Storybook Dining for something different. Much better food than standard character dining
Also Beaches and Cream is a fun lunch

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest