• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Most serious injury you have had in your life?

Motorcycle crash - 3 fractures in my wrist & 1 in my elbow.

I was in an auto accident last spring--fractured my pelvis in 3 places, dislocated my hip, had internal bleeding. Won't bore you with the gory details of my rehab, but I'm getting stronger every week and back to doing most of the things I could do before the accident.

The only even close to major injury I've ever had (knock wood, lol) was when I broke my wrist and arm falling off a table. 8 weeks in a full arm cast was no fun, then a month of physical therapy afterwards.

The hairline fracture that I mentioned in the other thread is the only broken bone I've ever had (knock on wood). I suspect I broke a bone in my foot years ago in a car accident when I was in college but I never got treatment for it because I didn't have insurance.

I think the worst injury I've ever had would be the third degree perineal tear that I suffered while delivering my son. There were a lot of stitches. I don't know the number offhand but it took them a very long time to stitch me up/repair the damage, and there were 2 doctors working on it, one would take a break and the other would take over, they kept switching out. Internal and external stitches. Then, when I was in excruciating pain even after I was outwardly healed, I was diagnosed with nerve damage resulting from the trauma. Imaging constantly inflamed nerves in that very delicate area. I was offered a nerve block but the kind I would have gotten had unwelcome risk factors, plus I didn't want more doctors poking around there. Still have signs of nerve damage, but thankfully the nerves mostly calmed down after about a year, maybe a year and a half.

I'm not going to go into all the gory details, but I still have issues from the tear, and my son is almost 16 now! And whenever I see a new gynecologist I get to have a fun conversation about all the trauma to my lady bits (I also lost a large chunk of my cervix to cancer when I was 19, I'm really a mess!).

All this to say: childbirth can be really hard on a woman's body! To anyone reading this, don't forget to hug your mother!

Three years ago this month I slipped in the shower breaking my right tibia. On the X-ray it looked like someone took a bite out of the bone. Surgery wasn’t an option so I had to to to a skilled nursing facility for 2 months as I was non weight baring. Just before I was due to be released They had to do the safety check at my house. While there I was having trouble breathing. The next day I had trouble again so an appointment was made with my pulmonologist. Turned out I had multiple blood clots in the lower lobes of both lungs. Back in the hospital and then more time at the skilled nursing home. Ended up having to take early retirement from teaching. I now use a cane when I go out but not at home.

Separated the front of my pelvis about 2" giving birth. Nothing they can do for it except let it heal itself. It's mostly stabilized but sometimes I can still feel it... 25+ years later.

Broken bones? Broke my arms ice skating, the left one the winter I was 10, the right one the winter I was 11. I decided that was a message from God: NO MORE ICE SKATING! I also broke my little finger in 7 places playing basketball in high school, and my little toe when I was an adult- and BOY did that hurt!

I broke my arm 3 times in the same place (twice doing back handsprings, once I got knocked to the ground in basketball practice). Seems the bone would never heal completely so they finally had to do surgery and put a metal rod in the keep it together.

My arm was so messed up before they did the surgery, by the time they got my bone aligned, the perfectly straight incision the surgeon made is now a diagonal scar across my arm.

I broke my patella (knee cap) in a car accident. The day after I got the cast off, I slipped at home, and broke it again. Other than tonsillectomy when little, the only times I have been in the hospital or had surgery! To this day I can still 'tell the weather' by how that knee feels, lol!

I broke my nose playing softball. Yep, took a softball right to the nose. As a result, I have a deviated septum, and have chronic sinus issues. The worst part is that it was all my fault; I wasn't paying a lick of attention during softball practice, and the next thing I knew, I had a line drive coming right at my face.

A concussion several years ago. I fell ice skating, hit the ice with the back of my head real hard. I woke up unable to move, just staring at the instructor standing above me. My head hurt for several days, but the year of vertigo is what really got me. I couldn’t move my head too far any way without spinning. And laying down in bed I would literally hold on to DH every night because I thought I would fall. It was horrible.

Lost the sight of my right eye following a kitchen oven fire and subsequent infection when I was 20 years young.

Last edited:
On the first Saturday afternoon of November 2003, I fell off my bicycle while I was riding it in a parking lot in front of a now-closed hardware store. I was taken to the hospital in an ambulance, and I got 8 or 9 stitches and nearly as many shots of local anesthetic.

I get headaches in the left side of my head every few months apart now.

Broke my ankle when I was 15 in a car accident. But that was nothing compared to the summer I sliced my foot open on a piece of metal sliding into home plate in a backyard game of "baseball" with the neighborhood kids. We we're using sticks for bats and pinecones for balls. Still sends shivers down my spine thinking about it. Had a bunch of stitches. No fun. I was 9.

Nothing major for injuries, thank goodness......toes broken several times and a few sprains, that is it.

I broke my arm when I was 3. Then with my arm in a cast and a sling, I fell down the cellar stairs. I had to have it rebroken as it did not heal correctly. I also went down a hill in a radio flyer wagon with my broken arm but I made it safely down, until my mother found out from the neighbors. She took my wagon away.

Nothing major for injuries, thank goodness......toes broken several times and a few sprains, that is it.
Same here. Some sprains, broken toes, small bone in wrist broken when I tripped over a power cord. And I broke a bone in my foot when I twisted my ankle one time.

I was injured in a car accident once, but only got really bad stiff neck, and some nerve damage in my left elbow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter