Most fun at Disney was riding ECVS!

freemore

Mouseketeer
Hi,

I want to thank everyone who helped me so much in planning our trip. We arrived home last night safe and sound and happy! For anyone who is nervous about riding and ECV, my husband and I agree it was the most fun we had on the trip!! We had planned to put the ECVs in our car but was not able to fit both in, so we took the busses and it worked out so well. My husband drove his and mine on the buses and learned right away that there is a bus called a "Nova" that is much easier to board. It is very low and sort of sinks down so that you can drive right up on the ramp. We would ask a bus driver or the person at the WL to radio for a Nova and they would send a Nova most of the time within 15 minutes to pick us (and the rest of the people going) up. It is so very easy and fun to drive an ECV! Dh said be sure to have your spouse get one too! Lene

Thanks for your note! ECV's really give you a sense of freedom! I've been comparing them to riding a bicycle, a gocart, riding horse, motorcycles, how great that is to have that feeling is that I haven't had in a while. I can still drive a car but this is much more fun!

Glad to hear you had a good time.
After talking abouit renting one for years, my FIL rented one on our last trip in March. He waited until our last day to rent it and said it was so easy, he wished he had rented one years ago.

Quick queston. When you ride on the bus, do you stay seated in the
ECV? Do they really lock it down, so its safe, or is it better to move
to a real seat?
It will be my first ecv trip. We usually do the push wheel chair, and
well, I transfer to the real seat.

Thanks,
Connie

It is tied down with straps that are designed for that purpose. They are the same type of tie downs that we use in our personal van to safely tie down DD's wheelchair.
If you don't plan to stay in the ecv seat, they can attach the straps to different points that are easier to reach, but still as secure.

And if you decide to sit on your ECV on a Disney bus, then you have to wear a seat belt. If your bus is standing room only (like after a park closes), you can still choose not to sit on the ECV. Depending on the bus driver you can sort of lean on your ECV, if you don't get caught :).

Glad you had a magical time! Did you keep your two ECV's in your WL room? We will be renting two of these next month. What company did you use? Thanks for all the great info!

momala

momala said:
Glad you had a magical time! Did you keep your two ECV's in your WL room? We will be renting two of these next month. What company did you use? Thanks for all the great info!

momala

The ecv's were very comfortable but I used a small throw pillow to support my back. My husband didn't need one. We kept both of them in the room. We did have a handicap room with a kingsize bed though. One fit in a nook behind the door and the other by the window. Towards the end we put both of them by the window, but we couldn't get out the door very easily. WE had a first floor room right by the otter pond and the ducks came to get treats from us. It was room 1014. It was very convenient to the Lodge and the restaurants. We drove the ecv's right into the lodge and out to the busses. The only bad thing is the bed was very hard. We really enjoyed the ecv's. I'm 64 and dh 58, we would never have been able to do much without the ecv's. We wish we had built in a day of rest at the WL every other day but we didn't have that much time. We weren't there that long, came on a Tuesday and left on Sunday. The Walker ECV's didn't have a headlight on them and my husband said we should have taken a flash light to put in the basket for after dark. Hope you have a great time! Lene

zumbergc said:
Quick queston. When you ride on the bus, do you stay seated in the
ECV? Do they really lock it down, so its safe, or is it better to move
to a real seat?
It will be my first ecv trip. We usually do the push wheel chair, and
well, I transfer to the real seat.

Thanks,
Connie

I felt it was safer and more comfortable to just sit on the bus seat and hang on to the pole, but I don't have trouble getting on and off the ecv. By the way, there is room for only two ecv's or wheel chairs on the bus at a time. When we waited for a bus we would wait in a line near where the back of the bus door would be when it stoped. A few times people lined up behind us, but we never had to wait for another bus. I always stuck my thumb out like I was hitching a ride so they would know we wanted to get on. The bus driver did not let the regular passengers get on until the ecv's were loaded. And when we got to our destination, we waited until everyone else was off and then we got off with the ecvs. The bus driver helps you get them on and off and is very helpful. Lene

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter