More magic than we bargained for - At WDW on July 24th

Figment Mom

DIS Veteran
I thought it would be nice to have a thread about the unexpected situation of being at the parks on 7/24 when G+ rolls over to multipass.

Share your thoughts, frustrations, and questions as this unfolds.

What park will you be in on 7/24?
What do you plan to do with regards to multipass?

It sounds like we won't get any prebooking advantage and won't know the price until that morning.

I'm concerned about the app crashing as all of us plus everyone arriving in the following week log on at 7 am to frantically learn the new system.

But I also hope to roll with it because it's still a day at Disney.

What gets me is that my trip dates were very flexible. We could have gone any time all summer. I don't want to switch my dates now but I wouldn't have chosen that particular week if I knew about this switch in advance.

Anyone care to commiserate?

I'd also like to hear about the successes and the good things people experience once the new LL system starts - it's not all negative..... People have been begging for months/years now for changes to G+, and now we have them. It is unfortunate that those going the last week of July will be the Guinea Pigs testing it out!

We will be at MK that day. We haven't been to WDW in ten years and only have ONE day at each park because we bought the special one day each/ four park ticket. I'm not looking forward to being the guinea pigs, and who knows when we will get to go again. :(

We will be at MK that day. We haven't been to WDW in ten years and only have ONE day at each park because we bought the special one day each/ four park ticket. I'm not looking forward to being the guinea pigs, and who knows when we will get to go again. :(
Any chance you'd be willing/able to switch MK to a different day? We'll be at Epcot so I may just rope drop Remy and not stress about multipass. MK is a different story, though.

Here's another general question I have for those of us here on the 24th will have to consider. Do you think we book and pay for ILLs (SLLs) first, then go back in and pick multipass for that day? Do we select multipass rides for the rest of the trip right away? We'll be in G+ mode and trying to snag the best for that day, but everyone doing the advance booking (arriving over the next few days) will be grabbing ones we'll want for the 25th, 26th, etc.

Can't change plans. Park days 18th-21st. So got thrown through a loop with "G+/ILL may be available" from the website before July 24. Given that G+/ILL is not guaranteed during our trip, I mean when it is ever, I woke up this morning with a positive outlook compared to yesterday. Took it as a sign that we're going to be having a different trip with the option of G+/ILL, Multi-Pass/ILL beta testing, or nothing at all.

Taking advantage of EE/RD, which IMHO will always be and has been the biggest advantage over any type of express lane. Not purchasing G+ or MP if available & magic bands. TBH, already less stressed and a huge relief not having to mess with G+ or MP in our plans or even planning for something that may or may not be there. Will definitely purchase ILL if it's available to do so. Jumping into a headliners during dinner time of 5-7pm & before close. Going to now have 2 TS per day. Going to roll with it and be spontaneous park experience wise, except for ADRs & ILLs.

Can't change plans. Park days 18th-21st. So got thrown through a loop with "G+/ILL may be available" from the website before July 24. Given that G+/ILL is not guaranteed during our trip, I mean when it is ever, I woke up this morning with a positive outlook compared to yesterday. Took it as a sign that we're going to be having a different trip with the option of G+/ILL, Multi-Pass/ILL beta testing, or nothing at all.

Taking advantage of EE/RD, which IMHO will always be and has been the biggest advantage over any type of express lane. Not purchasing G+ or MP if available & magic bands. TBH, already less stressed and a huge relief not having to mess with G+ or MP in our plans or even planning for something that may or may not be there. Will definitely purchase ILL if it's available to do so. Jumping into a headliners during dinner time of 5-7pm & before close. Going to now have 2 TS per day. Going to roll with it and be spontaneous park experience wise, except for ADRs & ILLs.
Our park days are the 16th - 27th, so both the "may not be available" and the "definitely something new" will impact us. I'm taking the "may not be available" to mean that it could sell out, not that it may be deactivated. I hope I'm right.

But your approach is good. Don't go into it counting on it to be there. Honestly, if G+ is gone for a few days, that could actually be ideal. I think then everyone (with the exception of DAS holders - which have dwindled significantly) will be in the standby lines which would now go much faster.

Hmmm. Now maybe I want G+ gone! 😄

Glad to see this thread has started and I hope there will be "on the ground" reports on that day. We're arriving on July 25th.

Here was my original plan:
  • 7am - Buy ILL+ for GotG / Buy GP+ and Select Remy
  • 8am - Modify Remy to after 6pm.
  • 11ish am - Select Frozen.
  • 1ish pm - Select Soarin
  • Afternoon - modify Soaring for after 6pm
  • 3:45 arrive to MCO; Uber to YC; Check-in
  • 6:00 pm - Walk to Epcot for GotG, Remy, Frozen and Soarin and dinner

New plan:
  • July 24th 7am - Be frustrated as the app crashes with everyone arriving by July 27 and onsite guests arriving by July 31 all trying to select multi-passes and individual passes.
  • July 24th 7:30am - ponder the meaning of life and in practical terms whether to purchase multi-pass for July 25th, as we won't scan into our first ride until after 6pm. Probably scrap buying multi-pass for first day and only purchase ILL+ for GotG
  • Jully 24 9am - Scan this thread obsessively for reports from the ground
  • July 25th - just GotG and dinner instead of what I had originally planned

I'm also concerned that we'll see more "influencers" during that first week purchasing multi-passes in the parks, just so they can upload content. I'm not thrilled about that as that is why the first parties of the season are always a mess.

Omg the influencers/content creators will most definitely be there. Good point.

We arrive on the 27th from Canada. Right now all I’m hearing is because I’m not physically in the U.S. on the 24th, I won’t be able to pay and book anything. It will only work once we arrive on the 27th.

Planned to be in Animal kingdom that day. My husband thinks this is no big deal because everyone is in the same boat. I wish we could take advantage of the pre planning e.g if this new system opens on the 24th it should have been for trips starting the following week. Or open it for prebooking on the 17th…

I want to try to get my choices in the morning because with two small kids and grandma we weren’t planning to stay late in the parks. If this system works it will be great to lock in early times.

I’m worried with the price too.

So is everyone going to plan backwards or start from the 24th, go to the 25th next etc. I’m not sure what is best. I guess it depends on which park which days.

Any chance you'd be willing/able to switch MK to a different day? We'll be at Epcot so I may just rope drop Remy and not stress about multipass. MK is a different story, though.
I am thinking about that. We could potentially switch it with our DHS day, July 21st. We picked the 24th for MK because of the extended evening hours for deluxe guests (staying at OKW). Maybe that would a better benefit?

@vinotinto our original plan sounded so much better but your new plan sounds quite realistic. I thought of the content creators, too. But then I thought, how many could there be? Ugh.

@Silvermist999 that is so incredibly unfair about the non-US issue. I hope it's all untrue and that you can book from home like everyone else.

Planned to be in Animal kingdom that day. My husband thinks this is no big deal because everyone is in the same boat. I wish we could take advantage of the pre planning e.g if this new system opens on the 24th it should have been for trips starting the following week. Or open it for prebooking on the 17th…

I want to try to get my choices in the morning because with two small kids and grandma we weren’t planning to stay late in the parks. If this system works it will be great to lock in early times.

I’m worried with the price too.

So is everyone going to plan backwards or start from the 24th, go to the 25th next etc. I’m not sure what is best. I guess it depends on which park which days.
I agree. Sure would be nice to have it open on the 17th for those of us who will be there on the 24th. I'd feel much better about that.

I have no idea what my plan is. That's what I can't figure out. I'll be in Epcot on the 24th. Would like to try for virtual queue for GOG, so I guess I have to do that first. Then what? We do't know how long our selections will be "held" before we check out. Do I try to grab what I want for the 24th, then check out, then go back in and do the rest of the trip? Or, like you said, do I think about which park I need to prioritize? So many unknowns.

I am thinking about that. We could potentially switch it with our DHS day, July 21st. We picked the 24th for MK because of the extended evening hours for deluxe guests (staying at OKW). Maybe that would a better benefit?
Well, since you have extended evening hours, I think I'd still do MK on the 24th. That will be a better benefit than any LLs you grab I would think.

We’re going to be in the parks July 21-27 (with the 25th as a planned rest day…), planning MK and extended hours on the 24th. I’m not happy about this change happening in the middle of our trip. We’ll have to do the 7 am rush for half the trip and then figure out the new system on the fly for the rest of the trip, completely losing out on the 7 day on-site advantage. Plus Disney IT always sucks so you know it’s going to be a giant cluster. At this point I’m too annoyed to figure out a potential plan, hopefully more specific information, particularly for those already staying on-site when the transition happens, comes out soon.

Here's another general question I have for those of us here on the 24th will have to consider. Do you think we book and pay for ILLs (SLLs) first, then go back in and pick multipass for that day? Do we select multipass rides for the rest of the trip right away? We'll be in G+ mode and trying to snag the best for that day, but everyone doing the advance booking (arriving over the next few days) will be grabbing ones we'll want for the 25th, 26th, etc.
You will be able to do everyone in one transaction…you will be able to do both single pass and multi pass at once, know what you have secured, and check out at the same time.

You can then do the rest of your days the same way.

Ideally I would hope that Disney has set a limit on the # of passes that will be distributed for the day, such that Multi-Pass is 3, max 4 skipped lines. That way Standby doesn't get slammed so badly as it is now and you can reach a point in your day where you can just put the damned phone away and enjoy your vacation.

Meanwhile, back in reality - nah, I know in my heart that is an unrealistic expectation.

Ideally I would hope that Disney has set a limit on the # of passes that will be distributed for the day, such that Multi-Pass is 3, max 4 skipped lines. That way Standby doesn't get slammed so badly as it is now and you can reach a point in your day where you can just put the damned phone away and enjoy your vacation.

Meanwhile, back in reality - nah, I know in my heart that is an unrealistic expectation.

Those who purchase can get as many in a day as they want, subject to availability, with holding three at a time…but no repeats.

Since those with park hopping can book another park after using the first one, it might allow people to spread out more. That is what we will do.

We travel on the 24th, and our first park day will be on July 26th. (I hope I'm able to square away our LL reservations before I have to board our flight!) My nuclear family are pros at navigating whatever the latest system is. We've mastered paper fastpass, Fastpass+, Maxpass (or whatever the Disneyland one is called) and we were some of the first to go after G+ came out, too, and we managed just fine. I don't mind a challenge. But...

Here comes the tricky part: This is our first trip where we're bringing "the whole clan." We'll be a group of 22 including my parents, siblings, spouses, and their kids. Bonus: None of the rest of the family has been to WDW before. We are basically going to be their tour guides. My hubby and 2 adult kids are pros, so it's not all on my shoulders. (We managed dining reservations for the whole group to Space 220 and Topolinos breakfast, so I've got help!)

With the new system I'm actually pleased that we'll be able to have at least 3 rides locked in for the day at the get-go, but I'm going to have to rethink my pretty solid gameplan strategies I had worked up for each day. I wish I had a little more data to work with. At this point, I have to assume that the rides will still probably "run out" of return times at a similar rate and in the same order as they have in the near past.

My family and I are used to traveling during peak times like Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, so at least the crowds will be lower than we're used to. And we're not worried about re-rides, since everything will be new to the family and they'll want to see everything, regardless of "tier level." I just want things to go smoothly! Fingers crossed that there are not too many glitches during the first few days. I'll try to post reports of our experiences, and I hope all who are in the parks on the 24-25 will share as well!

Those who purchase can get as many in a day as they want, subject to availability, with holding three at a time…but no repeats.

Since those with park hopping can book another park after using the first one, it might allow people to spread out more. That is what we will do.
Key words here are "subject to availability". If Disney reduces the number of passes per day, the availability will go down. Will they? Likely not - they don't care about the standby experience, and the worse that is, the more multi-passes they sell. I can dream though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest