• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mom with Foot Problems-Need Wheelchair Info

DisneyAunt

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone! :wave:

This is my second attempt posting this message. My first message had a "technical" problem. :rolleyes:

Anyway...I am bringin my mother with me on my November trip to WDW. SHe can wal but can't walk for long she has a VERY painful problem with one of her feet. :worried: I'm not sure what I should do.....SHould I rent a wheelchair for the time we are there from on outside company or should I pick one up at the parks when we get there in the morning? Mom doesn't want to use a wheelchair, she says she is embarrased :scratchin . My SIL and I told her it would be better since we usually have a commando type schedule. Even my DNep's 4 & 6 are encouraging her to use it since we have them very well trained with our schedules.

I was also wondering about handicapped parking. I have a handicapped parking permit that I unfortunately had to use when I was there in February due to a knee injury. I noticed that handicapped parking seems to be a lot more walking to the park entrances. :confused: Any tips on getting any closer?

Any info would be great!! THANKS :disrocks:

I also have a question regarding this. My MIL will be with us in August and needs a wheelchair for the same reason, can't walk for long periods of time.

What happens when we get in line for the ride. There are seven of us, does she just stay in her wheelchair until we get closer to the front of the line and then does she cut at the last minute. I think if we need to wait 40 minutes for some rides that it will be too long for her to stand.

Personally, I prefer that she stay at home, but I was out voted by her two sons, one of which is my husband of course.

She's getting old it might be her last trip.....don't even get me started.

I would also like to know since I have a problem with one foot. Had surgery in Feb. to correct bunion and alignment of my bone. I can get around pretty good now but I can't walk to long because it starts to hurt. I really don't want to use a wheelchair but my in laws want me to.. I am only 29 almost 30. If you can't take the wheelchair do you just leave it outside and go ride the ride.

These comments are to the original poster as well as the two earlier replies.

My first suggestion is agreement that you rent from an off-site company.

Second is that consideration be given toward rental of an ECV. It will give the user more freedom and feel like less of a burden on the rest of the group. The user may even be the "errand runner" as you can travel faster with an off-site ECV than a fast walker.

Last, and most important, are the following questions and answers.

1. Are you disabled, even if temporarily? Yes!

2. Are the people with you, such as your family, aware that you have a disability? Yes.

3. Do you really expect to meet people who may know you and who do not know you are disabled? Probably not.

4. Are you going to meet a lot of people you have never seen before and will probalby never meet again? Definitely yes!!!

5. Do you have any reason to care what the people you meet think about you and your use of an ECV or wheelchair? Absolutely NOT!!!!

6. Will you and your group (family) have an overall better time on the vacation if you have an ECV or wheelchair? More than likely Yes!

I would suggest to all of you that you click on "disABILITIES" at the top of this thread, which will take you to the index. The 4th or 5th item down is labeled "disABILITIES FAQ" and will answer a lot of you questions.

Go and enjoy yourself.

Space nearest the tram lane on every parking lot row is reserved for handicapped folks but wheelchairs cannot be brought on the tram. Your mother may show her handicapped placard to the CM directing parking and be directed to one of these spaces. She will have to rent a wheelchair or ECV at the park entrance.

Your mother is going to have to get used to using a wheelchair or ECV in the park. There is a lot of distance to cover and there are only two choices, walk all of it, or ride some of it.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Thanks for the info regarding the wheelchair.

I am stil concerned witht eh Handicapped parking. When I parked in it for a few days in February it seemed like an awful lot of walking for it to be handicapped.

The CM in parking are great....when they see you handicapped placard hanging on your window they just guide you to the blue line to follow to handicapped. Like I said earlier the walk was pretty long.....for instance when we parked at MK we had to walk from the parking area under the over pass where the trams go under and a long walkway by the dog kennel...seems like awful lot of walking for handicapped. Anyone else feel that way.

Yes, it is long. However, if you don't have an off-site rental there are usually wheelchairs that can be used to get as far as the rental area. If there are none there, someone can go to the shop and bring back one of the "parking lot" wheelchairs.

I would ask her the questions from my previous post about her potential embarassment. Also, use of an ECV will give her more of a feeling of independence that she would have in a wc.

WDW does say in their Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities that the regualr parking lot and taking the tram is the best place to park if you have a mobility disability, don't have a wheelchair or ecv, and are able to step up onto the tram.
The handicapped parking is really better suited for people who have wheelchairs or ecvs. As Cheshire Figment mentioned, they do have wheelchair (sort of shuttle wheelchairs) in the parking lots that can be used to ride to the place where you can rent one. But, there is no guarantee that there will be a wheelchair when you get to the parking lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter