MK rope drop strategy

Micheleelle

Earning My Ears
I am having trouble deciding what to do. I will be attending MK on a 5/10 crowd calendar day with my husband, 9 yo DD, 6 yo DS and 2 yo DS. Currently, I was planning on rope dropping PP’sF and Winnie the Pooh and then heading over to frontier land for a 10am splash mountain Fastpass and then passing through Adventureland with an 11am jungle cruise Fastpass. I thought of doing it this way because I heard the standby cue for PP is fun, and I’m sure my kids would enjoy it. However, I really don’t want to battle the crowds in the morning and am reconsidering rope dropping Adventureland and Frontierland (in that order) and then lining up afternoon fast passes for PP AND WTP that would end with my 7DMT Fastpass at 2:15 to 3:15 pm. I’d like to be around FantasyLand for an early dinner res at BOG at 4:15pm. What do you think is the better strategy? Is the PP standby cue worth the rope drop aggravation in the morning?

You don't have to be at the front of the pack at MK Rope Drop to avoid a long wait at Peter Pan.

I haven't been to MK since they have been letting people into the Hub early, and I'm sure there will be a huge crowd waiting to go through the castle (or around it, if it is blocked), but 90% of those folks will turn right to go to 7DMT. So if you just hang back a bit and avoid the worst of the congestion in front of you, it shouldn't be too bad.

Thank you! I was unsure how many people would also be headed towards PP and didn’t want to get caught up in the pack.

Is this on a 9AM park opening? I really don’t find MK rope drop ‘that bad’ at all, especially with last year’s change in opening procedures (Main Street/Hub open at 8AM for a 9AM park opening, which I am a huge fan of BTW). Frankly, it’s pretty painless most of the time. I agree that most folks head to 7DMT anyway.

I wouldn’t be too worried about it if that’s the plan you’d like to do.

At rope drop you should be able to do everything in fantasyland in under an hour except 7DMT & Storytime with Belle (on a 5/10 day). I always end with teacups and then hit the speedway before heading for frontier/adventure lands...(rides, no character meets)

I am having trouble deciding what to do. I will be attending MK on a 5/10 crowd calendar day with my husband, 9 yo DD, 6 yo DS and 2 yo DS. Currently, I was planning on rope dropping PP’sF and Winnie the Pooh and then heading over to frontier land for a 10am splash mountain Fastpass and then passing through Adventureland with an 11am jungle cruise Fastpass. I thought of doing it this way because I heard the standby cue for PP is fun, and I’m sure my kids would enjoy it. However, I really don’t want to battle the crowds in the morning and am reconsidering rope dropping Adventureland and Frontierland (in that order) and then lining up afternoon fast passes for PP AND WTP that would end with my 7DMT Fastpass at 2:15 to 3:15 pm. I’d like to be around FantasyLand for an early dinner res at BOG at 4:15pm. What do you think is the better strategy? Is the PP standby cue worth the rope drop aggravation in the morning?

PP can easily get backed up and once it does the wait can be quite long all day long. If you go at Rope Drop you will get in without much of a wait. The queue is better than what it used to be, but nothing worth standing in a long line for. We usually head there first or use a FastPass later. We just visited in December and I have to admit that I like being able to calmly stroll up to the hub without the madness. Just stand at the path leading to the land you want to visit. I do miss the opening at the Train Station though. Keep in mind too that if you are going on an Extra Magic Hour as a resort guest the only entrance to access the lands is on the Tomorrowland path and your band will be scanned to get entry at that point.

I went on a Saturday recently and rope dropped 7DMT which we waited about 25 minutes for. After that we went straight to Peter Pan and the wait was only about 10-15 minutes.

So you really don’t have to be part of the stampede.

Is this on a 9AM park opening? I really don’t find MK rope drop ‘that bad’ at all, especially with last year’s change in opening procedures (Main Street/Hub open at 8AM for a 9AM park opening, which I am a huge fan of BTW). Frankly, it’s pretty painless most of the time. I agree that most folks head to 7DMT anyway.

I wouldn’t be too worried about it if that’s the plan you’d like to do.
Yes it is a 9am open. Thank you for the reassurance! I think I’ll stick with my original plan to rope drop PP.

I went on a Saturday recently and rope dropped 7DMT which we waited about 25 minutes for. After that we went straight to Peter Pan and the wait was only about 10-15 minutes.

So you really don’t have to be part of the stampede.
Awesome! This is good news! I hope we get similar luck and I’ll stick to my original rope drop PP strategy.

You'll be fine. We just did something similar last week. Peter Pan at rope drop was much easier than I was expecting. We waited near the bridge to Liberty Square, and when we got to Peter Pan, we walked right on and were out at 9:10AM. Then we went to Winnie the Pooh (which already had a posted wait of 25 minutes - it was actually 18). We were done with that at 9:37. Have fun!

You'll be fine. We just did something similar last week. Peter Pan at rope drop was much easier than I was expecting. We waited near the bridge to Liberty Square, and when we got to Peter Pan, we walked right on and were out at 9:10AM. Then we went to Winnie the Pooh (which already had a posted wait of 25 minutes - it was actually 18). We were done with that at 9:37. Have fun!
That’s encouraging to hear. I hope we have similar luck! Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter