• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

MK handicapped viewing

JudithM

DIS Veteran
Last Thursday we went to the MK. There were no ECVs left when we arrived about noon, & none available when our friends arrived about two hours later. We took it slowly to save on my knees. By afternoon parade time we thought we could sit in the handicapped section in the hub in front of the Castle. Well, it is under construction. The security guard sent us around the hub to the area facing Main Street. The CM there had some guests in wheelchairs & she sent us down to the flag pole hub. There are no benches around the flag pole any more :(. We chatted with some CMs about the lack of seating for those who need it. A CM went & got me a complimentary wheelchair, so I could sit. Later we happened upon four "suits," one who knew the CM who got me the wheelchair & we complimented her for doing this for me.

Aparently the benches were removed because too many guests were standing on them. In front ofthe castle all the concrete seating is being removed partially because too many guests climbed over the concrete wall & into the flower beds.

I've heard that you have to get there right at opening for a chance to get an ECV. Would it be possible for your group to rent them off site next time? There are links to reliable sites on this forum.

Sorry to hear that the benches are disappearing. There's nothing I like better than sitting on a bench at WDW, watching the world go by! I hope they replace the benches after construction is done. Maybe they need to train the CMs to tell people not to stand on the benches?

I'd love it if they got the voices from "The Princess Diaries" that tell Princess Mia to "get off the grass" when she goes to visit her grandmother. They should plant motion detectors in the flower beds and have the spiel go off... It always has amazed me that guests at WDW climb over fences to get in areas they shouldn't!

Schmeck said:
I've heard that you have to get there right at opening for a chance to get an ECV. Would it be possible for your group to rent them off site next time? There are links to reliable sites on this forum.

When I am going to the parks regularly on a trip to WDW, I do rent an ECV from Walker. However, this was a last minute trip, & we only went to the parks one day, so I didn't rent one.

Schmeck said:
Sorry to hear that the benches are disappearing. There's nothing I like better than sitting on a bench at WDW, watching the world go by! I hope they replace the benches after construction is done. Maybe they need to train the CMs to tell people not to stand on the benches?

From what the CMs said, I doubt there will be any benches put back. It was more of a safety issue with guests standing on the benches. Years ago there used to benches outside the shops along Main Street & those benches are now gone, too.

Sad to say, even though some guests really needed those benches, other guest abuse them. On our last trip, we saw parents standing their kids on the back of the benches to watch things, not even on the seat (which at least would have been a little safer thing to do).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter