Might have realized a VP won't work for us...?

Not sure why prices being higher is surprising. Prices have gone up everywhere.
Also not surprising that the Hyatt House is going to be popular and expensive. A washer and dryer in the room is going to attract a lot of people that just want to travel Japan with a carryon.

For many years before the pandemic, hotel prices were basically flat in Japan even as they steadily increased elsewhere in the world.
As someone who wasn't alive to travel to Japan in the 70s and early 80s, inflation like this is basically unprecedented.

The Courtyards in Tokyo have doubled in price in terms of JPY while the price of the Courtyards in Anaheim near Disneyland only increased about 20% over the same period. The Courtyards in Hong Kong cost about 10% more than they did in 2018 while Hyatts in Hong Kong are actually now cheaper than they were in 2018. The price increases for western chain hotels in Tokyo are really in a league of their own.

I also don't even think Hyatt originally expected the Hyatt House to have demand like it does. It was planned as a category 3 with opening prices around 200 USD per night but very quickly settled into over 300 USD per night and insufficient award availability as a category 4.

But rather than surprise, I'd say I'm experiencing mild frustration that I can't find a Hyatt or Marriott in Tokyo for less than 200 USD a night anymore.

For many years before the pandemic, hotel prices were basically flat in Japan even as they steadily increased elsewhere in the world.
As someone who wasn't alive to travel to Japan in the 70s and early 80s, inflation like this is basically unprecedented.

The Courtyards in Tokyo have doubled in price in terms of JPY while the price of the Courtyards in Anaheim near Disneyland only increased about 20% over the same period. The Courtyards in Hong Kong cost about 10% more than they did in 2018 while Hyatts in Hong Kong are actually now cheaper than they were in 2018. The price increases for western chain hotels in Tokyo are really in a league of their own.

I also don't even think Hyatt originally expected the Hyatt House to have demand like it does. It was planned as a category 3 with opening prices around 200 USD per night but very quickly settled into over 300 USD per night and insufficient award availability as a category 4.

But rather than surprise, I'd say I'm experiencing mild frustration that I can't find a Hyatt or Marriott in Tokyo for less than 200 USD a night anymore.
It's hard to impossible in any big city in the US too. I'm not seeing that change anytime soon.

I don't think I'm looking too early. I was pricing out November back in January and prices were a lot lower. I'm not expecting any big price drops.

Were getting in around 5pm, but the hotel were staying at in Tokyo is 350 a night. It seems like a waste to spend that getting to the hotel around 8 and being jet lagged. I do the same thing flying to WDW we always stay at a cheap hotel around the airport the first night.
It's very different than flying to Europe where you leave at night and arrive before noon. I've never taken a long haul flight that left at 1130am. I'm not sure I'll sleep at all. I'm thinking I'll be ready to crash as soon as we get to hotel. At least it will be nighttime and I won't have to force myself to stay up all day.
I will keep checking prices as it gets closer. I'm high maintenance when it comes to hotels. I need a gym, laundry, bar, restaurant...so yeah I'm going with the American brand. I'm also taking my 19 year old son so two beds and a bigger room is a must.
We stayed at an airport hotel in Narita, too. We think it’s more relaxing. We stayed at the Hilton on arrival and the ANA Crown Plaza before we left. Both were decent, but rather old. As always in Japan, spotless clean, but seemed like a trip back to 80s when the hotels were built… Both have convenience stores which fed us. And both had nice breakfasts, but the Hilton one was the most amazing one of our whole trip! So many choices of different Asian food. It was free for us as we have Hilton Gold through a credit card.

We stayed at an airport hotel in Narita, too. We think it’s more relaxing. We stayed at the Hilton on arrival and the ANA Crown Plaza before we left. Both were decent, but rather old. As always in Japan, spotless clean, but seemed like a trip back to 80s when the hotels were built… Both have convenience stores which fed us. And both had nice breakfasts, but the Hilton one was the most amazing one of our whole trip! So many choices of different Asian food. It was free for us as we have Hilton Gold through a credit card.
We will probably stay at the Hilton. I guess they busses that take you to the Disney resorts from the airport. I haven't totally ruled out a two night package. Packages released for February so I'm pricing things out and thinking about it.

I almost booked a VP until saw it had to be paid for in full. I'm not used to paying things in full this far out. All my plans are still a work in progress and subject to change. If I do decide to book a package. I'll have to think like I do a cruise and work my plans around it.

It does seem like there is an advantage to a package with the FS unlimited rides. I'd probably do Toy story resort.

Narrator: they did. :)

We were even able to get an FS room (I went with the cheapest I saw to keep it simple - Bay Area Superior, also assumed they also wouldn't be as popular due to the non-view which might increase my chances), so I guess we'll be paying more after all! It ended up being another $200 to get the as-many-rides-as-you-want package over the regular 2 night, and my husband asked why the heck we wouldn't just do it then. So... booked.

Now to sleep, and hope the next time we go it can be far more chill booking like it has been on our previous trips. :faint:
I was looking at that package with all the rides for two days. It seems like a good way to maximize the time. I've never been, but this seems like a good way to do it since I don't want to commit a huge portion of the vacation to Disney. If you choose no restaurants it lowers the price. I don't think I want to commit to any dining reservations.

Did you book Toy Story. I've been pricing things out for 2 days and there seems to be plenty of availability.

I almost booked a VP until saw it had to be paid for in full. I'm not used to paying things in full this far out. All my plans are still a work in progress and subject to change. If I do decide to book a package. I'll have to think like I do a cruise and work my plans around it.

It does seem like there is an advantage to a package with the FS unlimited rides. I'd probably do Toy story resort.
Fortunately, you can get a refund until shortly before the package begins without any trouble.

I was looking at that package with all the rides for two days. It seems like a good way to maximize the time. I've never been, but this seems like a good way to do it since I don't want to commit a huge portion of the vacation to Disney. If you choose no restaurants it lowers the price. I don't think I want to commit to any dining reservations.

Did you book Toy Story. I've been pricing things out for 2 days and there seems to be plenty of availability.
We ended up splurging for Fantasy Springs in the end as it was available when I went to book and not a crazy amount more. I *think* this means we could technically buy a Fantasy Springs Magic pass for our checkout day as the package doesn't have a ticket for that day, but I don't think we will need it. We'll probably buy a Disneyland ticket on Klook since we are going to miss most of day 1 on the package and I'll likely want more time there. FS actually was available for a couple days... but don't tell my husband. I had told him we had to stay up until 11pm to book it because it sounded necessary... :rolleyes1

We were both on a different computer in case one timed out - he went for the regular 2 night VP and I went for the all-you-can-ride. In the end he got through first but I was also successful. He said it would be worth the $190 difference between the two packages. By the time the refund posted we got a free $73 back due to the exchange rate changing in those couple of days... sometimes life is truly weirder than fiction. Almost makes me wish I'd waited longer to cancel it as the yen is still going higher...in this extreme case I suspect paying in full early will work to our advantage. We lucked out on two trips to Japan this year with them occurring during big dips though so maybe I'm wrong and this one will even us out if it drops more... :duck:

Like you, we skip sit down meals, and didn't book any extra dining at all since they charge you per person which is not how we tend to eat. We usually split entrees so we can have interesting snacks and we won't need to add on beverages since we have a beverage ticket as part of the package. I almost booked Royal Banquet of Arrendelle but it was actually MORE than just buying one of the pies and a drink? Maybe I am missing something here but it seems like you pay more just to know you can go at a certain time. Honestly I think we prefer the other counter service options at DS based on what is on the menus at the moment...

Last edited:
Fortunately, you can get a refund until shortly before the package begins without any trouble.
Yeah I did see that. I'm just trying to get my trip figured out so I can lock down my Disney dates. It seems like you could get a lot done going that route. I've heard crowds are pretty bad in Japan. I'm not sure how accurate that is.

There is not a huge difference in price between that package and the one where you can pick a few past passes and get three day tickets. I'm not sure what is the best option.

We ended up splurging for Fantasy Springs in the end as it was available when I went to book and not a crazy amount more. I *think* this means we could technically buy a Fantasy Springs Magic pass for our checkout day as the package doesn't have a ticket for that day, but I don't think we will need it. We'll probably buy a Disneyland ticket on Klook since we are going to miss most of day 1 on the package and I'll likely want more time there. FS actually was available for a couple days... but don't tell my husband. I had told him we had to stay up until 11pm to book it because it sounded necessary... :rolleyes1

We were both on a different computer in case one timed out - he went for the regular 2 night VP and I went for the all-you-can-ride. In the end he got through first but I was also successful. He said it would be worth the $190 difference between the two packages. By the time the refund posted we got a free $73 back due to the exchange rate changing in those couple of days... sometimes life is truly weirder than fiction. Almost makes me wish I'd waited longer to cancel it as the yen is still going higher...in this extreme case I suspect paying in full early will work to our advantage. We lucked out on two trips to Japan this year with them occurring during big dips though so maybe I'm wrong and this one will even us out if it drops more... :duck:

Like you, we skip sit down meals, and didn't book any extra dining at all since they charge you per person which is not how we tend to eat. We usually split entrees so we can have interesting snacks and we won't need to add on beverages since we have a beverage ticket as part of the package. I almost booked Royal Banquet of Arrendelle but it was actually MORE than just buying one of the pies and a drink? Maybe I am missing something here but it seems like you pay more just to know you can go at a certain time. Honestly I think we prefer the other counter service options at DS based on what is on the menus at the moment...
I wish the second day of tickets was the checkout day. I'm sure they did it that way because they know people will buy extra tickets on that day. That's interesting on the refund. The dollar is declining right now and every time I check prices it's gone up a couple of dollars.

I wish the second day of tickets was the checkout day. I'm sure they did it that way because they know people will buy extra tickets on that day. That's interesting on the refund. The dollar is declining right now and every time I check prices it's gone up a couple of dollars.
Yeah, the USD/JPY conversion rate was looking really great while I was planning my upcoming trip. Then, the Bank of Japan went and increased interest rates and caused a big selloff. Now, the USD is getting weaker. Boo!

It's still pretty good compared to historical rates, but meh.

Yeah, the USD/JPY conversion rate was looking really great while I was planning my upcoming trip. Then, the Bank of Japan went and increased interest rates and caused a big selloff. Now, the USD is getting weaker. Boo!

It's still pretty good compared to historical rates, but meh.
The American chains will adjust and the prices will stay the same. Hyatt lowered the price in yen and the price is the same. The Japanese hotels will cost more Disney included.

I booked the Toy Story 2 night package with the unlimited rides. That was a pain in the butt. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with chase. I didn't want to try a different a card. I wanted to use the one the gives me the best travel points. They were able to fix it and it went through. Spending the night before and after at Tokyo bay Hyatt with points. That should be a quick cab ride.

It's really not a huge price difference between the hotels, but for two nights when we will be in the parks all day I figured I'd just go with the least expensive.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest