Middle Class Priced Out???

Because we are across the US (arizona) we were doing WDW about once every 3-4 years. We tend to do a short 3 day trip to DL every year. Drive, stay off site, bring in snacks and do 2 days in parks. Cost for 4 adults around $1500. We usually have $200-$300 in disney reward dollars used for lunches/souveniers as well. If my inlaws timeshare is available that makes for a super cheap trip too. This is harder to do if you aren't within driving distance.

I haven't been priced out, but the value is not there for us anymore. We can do much better vacations than Disney for the money and we are. I think it has been 4 years since we have been, and I don't see us going in the near future. We have a great Alaska cruise planned this summer instead.

This thread is great! Really enjoying reading everyone's experiences and perspectives.:thanks:

The Pew Research Center has an online tool to calculate your class and income relative to your area and America at large. Hopefully links are allowed:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/05/11/are-you-in-the-american-middle-class/

As a kid my parents took myself and my siblings to Magic Kingdom once by staying at a friend's condo and getting us into the parks with a military discount and free passes from the friend's cast member babysitter. We drove in over an hour with a packed lunch. We drove from Ohio to Florida. (I never actually flew on a plane until I was 27.) Our second family trip as a teen was much the same. Stayed for free at the friend's condo, and my dad got some awesome military discount for having spent so much time overseas after 9/11. We spent one day in each park, driving in over an hour each morning and driving home in the evening/afternoon. Packed lunches, although I vaguely recall eating in Italy at Epcot.

According to the Pew evaluation, my husband and I are are lower middle class. I have student loans, but I pay off all credit debt monthly and savings are a priority. Our first visit to Disney property was last year (his first first, my first since childhood and first on property). We did a few nights at a Moderate and one day at MK. It was very expensive relative to what we would normally spend considering the quality of the lodgings and food we got for our money. However, I learned a lot from that experience and am looking to visit again around Christmas. People on here are right- there is so much relativity. I wish the ticket price was a little more reasonable for shorter visits, but it is not crazy in relation to some of the other theme park pricing around the US. For instance, it will cost us over $100 to visit the San Diego zoo, which is about half of what a day in the parks would cost. It's expensive, but it's special.

I do think people over-hype the lodging and the food, and even the parks to some extent. It wasn't paradise. There was trash shoved in the bushes and chipped paint, just like everywhere else. Customer service varied- it wasn't exemplary or magical across the board. The food we tried was mostly gross- but Disney Springs was enjoyable and had good options. Transit varied. The day we were in the park many of the rides were down for weather most of the day. Despite all of this, we enjoyed ourselves and want to go back- simply because it offered us something different than what we normally do. It is also really convenient and relaxing to not have to leave the property and have so many options as far as activities. Just like everything else, pros and cons. It is a bummer how expensive some of the nicer lodging is, and how much the food will cost if you are not on a dining plan relative to the quality. But there are lots of pros too. We have the added benefit of not having known it during the "glory days" toted on these boards when costs were lower and service was better.

We will be visiting San Diego this year and stopping into Disneyland for a day or two while we are in the area. I will say that we got a nice room right across from the park -literally closer than the Disney owned hotels for (sometimes) hundreds cheaper than most rooms in the WDW area with much more benefits. Free hot breakfast, more amenities in the room and onsite, larger room, etc. I also appreciate how much less planning is necessary. Apples to oranges, but still nice.

You really have to decide where your priorities are if you get past the point of living paycheck to paycheck (which personally took me a while) and have some disposable income after needs and savings. For us, we live in a small space and our priority is on experiences over things. (Konmari anyone?pixiedust:) Right now I can't afford the international travel I'd like to do, and frankly don't feel completely comfortable traveling in some places with everything happening in current events. Thus, I am more interested in the experience a "bubble" or more child-like amusement can offer right now. As a whole though, I much more value trying new experiences in new places trying new things. It's pretty cost effective to use public transit in major cities and use airbnb for lodging, which is how we usually travel. I do think Disney offers a bit of that new potential- but I would never make it the sole travel destination. There's too much out there that I want to see and experience. I get why it appeals to people though, for sure. Personally I could not NOT travel for years to spend a week at WDW in a deluxe. That isn't worth it to me. But for some people, it might be. It really depends on the person.

There is a much larger issue of cost of living relative to income and inflation that is happening outside of the Disney company. It's just more expensive to do anything than it was, and the majority of younger people aren't earning at the same rate as people once were relative to their experience and education. Eventually I hope to be able to afford international trips- or longer trips exploring the National parks, etc. But right now I get stressed thinking about that because who knows if we'll even have the parks to visit or be welcomed internationally when everything shakes down. So again, focusing on the positive small things that will be relaxing and fun which for the moment, is Disney.

I'm middle class, they haven't priced me out mathematically.

You can say that you're not priced out, but your previous post really seems to indicate otherwise.

You said you stay offsite, cook your meals, and don't purchase park hoppers or even tickets for the entire length of your stay.

I'm sure you have a wonderful vacation with your family and I have no arguments with any of your choices (my family has enjoyed many budget-conscious trips), but if someone must make these choices in order to afford the vacation, they are mathematically priced out of a "Disney" trip. By that I mean priced out of staying at a Disney resort, dining in Disney restaurants, and attending parks/hopping throughout your trip.

The price increases are making it more difficult for the average middle class family to have that type (onsite/inclusive) of Disney vacation. Sure, the average middle-class family can find a way to experience a Disney park within their budget. I don't think anyone is arguing that. But an immersive Disney trip has become significantly more expensive (and therefore has "priced out" more middle-class families) during the last few years.

You said you can do a $2500 - $3000 trip (with the caveats mentioned above: offsite, meals, shorter tickets, etc). I'm sure that's true. However, in the past, my family has done multiple two week long onsite trips with 10 day park hoppers for that same price (or less!). Right now, the tickets alone are $2742.40 (10 day PH). So if our budget was $3000, we have certainly been priced out of ever doing that type of trip again.

You can say that you're not priced out, but your previous post really seems to indicate otherwise.

You said you stay offsite, cook your meals, and don't purchase park hoppers or even tickets for the entire length of your stay.

I'm sure you have a wonderful vacation with your family and I have no arguments with any of your choices (my family has enjoyed many budget-conscious trips), but if someone must make these choices in order to afford the vacation, they are mathematically priced out of a "Disney" trip. By that I mean priced out of staying at a Disney resort, dining in Disney restaurants, and attending parks/hopping throughout your trip.

The price increases are making it more difficult for the average middle class family to have that type (onsite/inclusive) of Disney vacation. Sure, the average middle-class family can find a way to experience a Disney park within their budget. I don't think anyone is arguing that. But an immersive Disney trip has become significantly more expensive (and therefore has "priced out" more middle-class families) during the last few years.

You said you can do a $2500 - $3000 trip (with the caveats mentioned above: offsite, meals, shorter tickets, etc). I'm sure that's true. However, in the past, my family has done multiple two week long onsite trips with 10 day park hoppers for that same price (or less!). Right now, the tickets alone are $2742.40 (10 day PH). So if our budget was $3000, we have certainly been priced out of ever doing that type of trip again.

Actually I said "I could".
When we do WDW we stay onsite, in a deluxe, at the end of August. I can get a great deal on room and tickets that beat anything Disney can give me. I'm sure you know what I am talking about.
The last trip dh and I did in Sept, for F&W and we still managed to stay at BW for a great price, eat all our food onsite.
We have never driven, always fly. It was just dh and I, we spent what we would have spent on a family vacation, but it was our 20th anniversary and the first vacation we ever took without our kids. It was worth every penny.
We just save our money and go about every 3 years. We could go more frequently if I did drive, stay off site, etc.
But honestly I would rather go other places on those off years. Sadly WDW just doesn't have the value for an entire family vacation for us as it once did.

Also I'd like to point out that we take vacations where we rent a cabin or cottage and I do cook because that is how I like to vacation. It isn't because I have too, I hate being cooped up in a hotel for a week and eating out all the time.
I don't do it for WDW because for me it isn't the same kind of vacation.

I was speaking generally about a middle class family and how they can vacation at WDW. I didn't mean that was the way my family did it.

Back to the point of this thread, the problem is nobody here as defined "priced out".

To me that means priced out, as in can't afford can't go. No trip ever because its too much money and your income doesn't allow you to just be able to pay for the trip, or your income and expenses doesn't allow you to ever save for a trip.

If to you it means- you don't have to save for a trip, and/or only staying on-site, and/or having an immersive trip (I assume you mean all day/every day at parks, eating only in parks for all 3 meals), then clearly you are going to have a different answer to whether the middle class is priced out.

I say they aren't. There are plenty of ways a middle class family can afford to go to WDW.

Last edited:
I’m not priced out, but it was much more affordable when I went back in 2012. DH and I got a package where we stayed 6 nights at POP, had 6 day tickets and got a free dining plan all for around $1500 total. Back then I was so surprised at how cheap it was. It seems like now just the dining plan alone would cost almost that.

The other thing is you have to define the middle class. Almost everyone identifies as middle class. Maybe the top 1%-2% of households will actually identify themselves as wealthy. Clearly it’s not just those families that go to WDW. If you take the average household income in the USA (around 50K-55K I think), it’s hard to see how families making that can afford a WDW trip.

It's okay that Disney is not priced for the middle class anymore - they can price themselves like Tiffany's since many find them as unique as Tiffany's...but let's be honest about their current affordability to the actual middle class family (not the upper class family, not the middle class senior with assets, not the DINK middle class couples and/or single adults)...

I tend to agree with you. BUT

Single adults aren't really doing to great either. With rents as high as they are (here its 50% of my income) and student debt NO ONE I know my age is getting ahead.

That being said, I did okay on my first trip. I stayed at a value, flew (from BOS), ate mostly CS / snacks with a few splurge TS (Ohana, Tokyo Dining), brought a water bottle......basically just behaved as I have on any other travel experience.

Spent maybe $100 on souvenirs all told.

I make 41K and consider myself "middle class", as I make more than either of my parents ever did. If I made 10K more, or had a partner I'd consider myself darn comfortable.

Last edited:
Back to the point of this thread, the problem is nobody here as defined "priced out".

To me that means priced out, as in can't afford can't go. No trip ever because its too much money and your income doesn't allow you to just be able to pay for the trip, or your income and expenses doesn't allow you to ever save for a trip.

If to you it means- you don't have to save for a trip, and/or only staying on-site, and/or having an immersive trip (I assume you mean all day/every day at parks, eating only in parks for all 3 meals), then clearly you are going to have a different answer to whether the middle class is priced out.

That's true, we haven't really agreed upon the term "priced out". People have mostly been sharing their feelings and experiences about the topic.

I think my definition of "priced out" actually aligns closely with yours which is why I said we/some others have not really been priced out yet, but the drastic price increases are heading that way (and therefore making us re-think whether a Disney vacation is worth the current price tag).

But I think everyone also has a different idea of what "middle class" is as well so that's complicating the discussion. (There was a whole thread on that in the community board recently.) Some people make $150k and consider themselves "middle class" just scraping by while someone else making $50k may feel well above average and solidly "middle class".

My idea of what "middle class" can afford is colored by two contrasting examples, so I feel a tug to answer both yes and no to whether they are priced out.

My family is frugal and budget conscious. We save 25% of our income, have no debt (except a modest mortgage), etc. So even when we were making $50k or less we have always been able to afford more vacation than our peers with similar (or even greater) incomes (because our normal daily spending is less, we have more left over for travel). Paying for a two week trip to Disney every year was never a problem. So I realize it's possible to afford at that income level.

On the other hand, I know that's not the financial situation of most "middle class" families. I do financial education and I know that most families have significant debt (credit card, cars, student loans, and too-large mortgages), do not have an adequate emergency fund, are not saving for retirement, and don't have a budget for daily expenses. Often even at higher incomes, people are essentially living "paycheck to paycheck". Many people cannot fathom having or saving $5000+ for a vacation. (Some may go anyway, but that doesn't mean that they could "afford" it.) Sure we could argue that they can "figure out a way to make a Disney trip happen" (and I would love to see people make radical changes to improve their financial situation), but I'm just looking at the current picture of the "average" middle-class family and seeing them as priced out of this type of vacation.

Where you live has an enormous effect on a WDW vacation. If you live close enough to drive that could save you quite a bit on airfare depending on your family size. Also if you make $100,000 and live in middle America your cost of living is a lot less than if you live in New York city and you will have more expendable income. If you have more people going on a trip, then of course it's going to be more expensive.
A vacation is supposed to be fun and relaxing, if you have to plan a WDW trip like a military campaign, it may not be. Not to offend anyone. But if you have to drive 3 days, stay off site, making lunches and watching every penny at what point is it not worth it anymore? I understand you make sacrifices for your kids, but where do you draw the line. Personally I'd rather go less often stay on site and have a few more amenities. Quality vs. quantity, but everyone is different.
What concerns me is if someone is spending money that should be saved for retirement or the kids college fund, that is really short sighted and irresponsible. Look we all love going to WDW, but we have to keep it in perspective.

That's true, we haven't really agreed upon the term "priced out". People have mostly been sharing their feelings and experiences about the topic.

I think my definition of "priced out" actually aligns closely with yours which is why I said we/some others have not really been priced out yet, but the drastic price increases are heading that way (and therefore making us re-think whether a Disney vacation is worth the current price tag).

But I think everyone also has a different idea of what "middle class" is as well so that's complicating the discussion. (There was a whole thread on that in the community board recently.) Some people make $150k and consider themselves "middle class" just scraping by while someone else making $50k may feel well above average and solidly "middle class".

My idea of what "middle class" can afford is colored by two contrasting examples, so I feel a tug to answer both yes and no to whether they are priced out.

My family is frugal and budget conscious. We save 25% of our income, have no debt (except a modest mortgage), etc. So even when we were making $50k or less we have always been able to afford more vacation than our peers with similar (or even greater) incomes (because our normal daily spending is less, we have more left over for travel). Paying for a two week trip to Disney every year was never a problem. So I realize it's possible to afford at that income level.

On the other hand, I know that's not the financial situation of most "middle class" families. I do financial education and I know that most families have significant debt (credit card, cars, student loans, and too-large mortgages), do not have an adequate emergency fund, are not saving for retirement, and don't have a budget for daily expenses. Often even at higher incomes, people are essentially living "paycheck to paycheck". Many people cannot fathom having or saving $5000+ for a vacation. (Some may go anyway, but that doesn't mean that they could "afford" it.) Sure we could argue that they can "figure out a way to make a Disney trip happen" (and I would love to see people make radical changes to improve their financial situation), but I'm just looking at the current picture of the "average" middle-class family and seeing them as priced out of this type of vacation.

Exactly. I have a friend who, with her husband, makes 2-3x what my family does in a year and considers herself 'scraping by'. We have 4 kids, live on much less, but I consider myself middle class even though according to the government and all the 'class yourself' sites I've been on, we are in the bottom 20% in Canada. We have zero debt (but we do rent our house), we have life insurance, are setting aside money for retirement PLUS have a trip fund, use credit cards for everything but pay them off every month (points for extras, yes! That's how I get my video games), and I make all our food (well, ok, maybe 95% of it) from scratch (made all our bread except maybe one loaf a month purchased for 5 years now). We don't get out much, so a vacation for me is anything where I am not at home and don't have to wash dishes (I hate that job). We can save up to go to WDW, but it has changed from fly and do mostly just WDW to road trip it and make some of our food, just budget in one restaurant meal per day/snacks (maybe... they are so expensive!). Hardest part for our family now is time. DH cannot get any time off. Hasn't had any in 3.5 years.

Where you live has an enormous effect on a WDW vacation. If you live close enough to drive that could save you quite a bit on airfare depending on your family size. Also if you make $100,000 and live in middle America your cost of living is a lot less than if you live in New York city and you will have more expendable income. If you have more people going on a trip, then of course it's going to be more expensive.
A vacation is supposed to be fun and relaxing, if you have to plan a WDW trip like a military campaign, it may not be. Not to offend anyone. But if you have to drive 3 days, stay off site, making lunches and watching every penny at what point is it not worth it anymore? I understand you make sacrifices for your kids, but where do you draw the line. Personally I'd rather go less often stay on site and have a few more amenities. Quality vs. quantity, but everyone is different.
What concerns me is if someone is spending money that should be saved for retirement or the kids college fund, that is really short sighted and irresponsible. Look we all love going to WDW, but we have to keep it in perspective.

While I do agree, for some people (me included), just being away from home is a vacation. I don't want to plan every minute though. The unplanned stuff is what always sticks out as most memorable for me. :) We actually fit your description perfectly, which is one reason I am feeling that IF we can even go on a vacation this year, this will likely be our last trip to WDW (especially since we've saved 3.5 years at this point). :( If we cannot... well... then I am 'priced out'. And that makes me sad.

I know this topic comes up in discussions a lot. But I'd really love to know if everyone believes that WDW is pricing out the middle class? Or...any other classes for that matter! If you feel like you're being or have been priced out, why specifically do you feel that way? Do you still go on trips to WDW? How have you compensated for their price increases? On the other hand, if you don't feel as though WDW is pricing people out, I'd love to hear your thoughts on that as well!

I am new to this board, and I LOVE this post! We have been to Disney twice. In May, 2015 and again in June, 2016. We are going back in July, 2018. We have five children ages 18 months-8 years so this involves some serious planning and $$$. We are an average, hard-working middle-class family. We have responsible spending habits but we live life and enjoy ourselves because YOLO! We would never cut deeply into our savings for our kid's futures (or our's for that matter) to go on lavish vacations, but we also feel time spent on meaningful family vacations like Disney are an investment in their future happiness, as well as ours. I have taken care of elderly parents and seen the other end of life up close, and I truly believe a good family vacation is worth its weight in gold. I think we are atypical since our family is bigger. We maybe have to consider things the average middle class family of 4 does not. So, my thoughts on whether we are out-priced is a little specific to large families. I realize this is not the majority, and that other vacations for us are also pricey due to the sheer size of our family (Disney or not).

One our first and second trip we paid for 5 park tickets and stayed offsite, but next year we are adding in the 6th ticket since my 4th will be 4 by then. When my 5th turns 3 in late 2018 we will be up to 7 tickets to WDW for any future trips beyond the next one in July 2018. Ouch!!!

We flew the first year because we scored super cheap flights on Southwest and my 4th baby was under 2 at the time and I was still pregnant with #5. It was $1000 for all of our flights so it was great. We drove from MA last year with all 5 kids- my son was 9 months and my oldest was 7! But we knew it was the only way we could make it work with 5 kids and a tighter budget since we had done Disney the year before as well. It was a lot of planning and extra effort, and since it was our first time doing any type of long distance drive we still spent a lot of $$ we did not account for. But we certainly learned along the way for next year's planning (do's and don'ts). And since we can't afford to stay onsite with our huge brood, having a car was really nice and a necessity. We have busy schedules and having all 7 of us together for any great length of time (even in a car) was nice. We always try to look for the silver lining on vacation!

Unfortunately, I have totally become a Disney addict as a result of our two trips! My husband really doesn't feel the same way; he would be just as happy sitting on the beach on Cape Cod as he would waiting in line at Splash Mountain. He is an easy vacationer. Take him away and he is happy. He never traveled much outside MA as a kid (also from a working-class, large family), so he thinks going anywhere is pretty special. He loves Disney but doesn't "have to have" a Disney vacation. Now that I am a total WDW addict, I am trying to figure out how I will bring my 5 kids to this park on my bi-annual plan. I would love to get them all down there every couple years for a family vacation, but it will involve cutting costs somehow and sacrificing in other ways. And at the end of the day I may have to concede it's slightly unrealistic and unreasonable with as many kids as we have. A girls can dream, but that may be it after next year for a while!

For now, we always stay offsite to save $ and we seriously plan ahead and think about what items we can get for less before our trip. Example- We buy $1 ponchos at the dollar store near home & pack in our luggage instead of wasting $$ on the $12 ones at the park. We really don't make ANY unnecessary purchases. (Do we REALLY need to cart 4 awkward mickey fans that spray water around all day @ almost $20/pop, or can we just stop into an air conditioned shop and cool down for a few minutes?) The only souvenirs I left WDW with last summer was a reasonably-priced ornament for our Christmas tree, and mickey birthstone earrings for my girls that were tucked into my suitcase and not presented to them until either Christmas or birthday. We do indulge in some Disney dining experiences so we are not missing out on the experience, but we mostly pack our own food and frozen waters/juice boxes for the long day at the park. We give the kids one Disney ice cream treat per TRIP, not day. We NEVER park-hop. Too time consuming with so many little kids and would be a total waste of $$ and time.

Long story short-- we haven't been priced out yet. But, we are close. I love Disney so much I am hanging on but I think after the next trip my husband will be signing me up for Disney-addicts anonymous and steering me in another direction for a few years. :-)

I am new to this board, and I LOVE this post! We have been to Disney twice. In May, 2015 and again in June, 2016. We are going back in July, 2018. We have five children ages 18 months-8 years so this involves some serious planning and $$$. We are an average, hard-working middle-class family. We have responsible spending habits but we live life and enjoy ourselves because YOLO! We would never cut deeply into our savings for our kid's futures (or our's for that matter) to go on lavish vacations, but we also feel time spent on meaningful family vacations like Disney are an investment in their future happiness, as well as ours. I have taken care of elderly parents and seen the other end of life up close, and I truly believe a good family vacation is worth its weight in gold. I think we are atypical since our family is bigger. We maybe have to consider things the average middle class family of 4 does not. So, my thoughts on whether we are out-priced is a little specific to large families. I realize this is not the majority, and that other vacations for us are also pricey due to the sheer size of our family (Disney or not).

Yay for 5 kids! I am pregnant with #5 myself. Yup, cost for any vacation at this point is $$$. I didn't go on vacations when little as my parents couldn't afford it. I want different for my family. I think it is so important to have that time of fun together... both at home and away. :) I also got the WDW bug after we won our first trip and really want to go back, but our situation doesn't let us plan/book in advance as we are on the farm. :( Almost every trip is only one month out from planning, so we save for them all the time and try to book within the amount we have in our 'vacation' account. DH can't get time off for a couple of years? The account keeps growing.

I thought I was "valued out" in 2014. It turns out my DH really does like WDW and despite indulging my love of the place in 2014, is really looking forward to our 2018 trip because of Pandora. We will spend less time at WDW than other venues in Orlando. He likes Sea World and loves Universal. As long as we are paying the airfare (he prefers first class), We will save for four years so I can do it right.

I plan and reserve everything. He shows up and follows. He is really looking forward to a moderate resort at PORS (we have done Deluxe and Value only). The theming of the resort is important to him so I take all this into consideration. I plan, he gives feedback, I re-plan. He does not see a "value" in nothing new. Not a speck. We are only going in 2018 because he "loves" the Avatar movie. We will spend most of our time in his favorite AK park. He wanted to skip MK. Really! He likes only Hopper tickets because he prefers to eat in EpCot. So I scrimp and save and use Disney Visa points as much as I can so as not to completely exhaust our vacation savings account for my own indulgence.

At least I have an every four year thing so far...2010, 2014 and now 2018.

I highly doubt I will convince him of another trip. He will look at the cost and say "He** No" I know. He is a Union Millwright. They work hard, make decent middle class money, and take their vacations seriously. I only work part time and pay as many bills as I can on my Disney VISA. We save and scrimp and have a Disney savings. I don't think he likes it much.

If I didn't tempt him with Universal Halloween Horror Nights, he might not agree to the vacation.

It is not an affordable family vacation. Not by a long shot. I priced out a vacation with my whole family (four kids). It was not doable.

I think the perspective is also skewed by Disney itself as it tries to define new experiences for guests, both brand-new and older, loyal fans.

EX: Those who have rode 7DMT more than 30 times may feel a little bored, but those who still haven't managed to get the FP+, it seems like something you HAVE to do.
Everything Avatar/Pandora-related is going to be on the Must-Do List at least for the next year or so... what if your family chooses not to go? Have you scrimped too much on the things you chose to cut back on ; have you now missed a "piece of magic"?

What DOES the "Quintessential Disney Vacation" look like for a Middle-Class Family? What "counts" as a "proper" vacation?
Are you staying Value or Moderate, are you staying Deluxe?
Are you indulging in Character Meals?
Are you Park Hopping because you've planned to criss-cross the property all day?
Will you feel "cheated" out of an opportunity if you miss Cirque du Soleil?
Do you HAVE to get all the PhotoPass opportunities?
What if, heavens forbid, you choose not to book a reservation for Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue?

It is a very very flexible question! :D

It is too expensive for what you get. Heck, it is too expensive period. Too expensive, too crowded, just not fun anymore. We plan way ahead and our vacations for the next several years will not be Disney. Sad, we used to love Disney, went once or twice a year. Oh well, it is now time to explore other avenues.

I also think that the middle class has been hit with other factors that may have limited what they can spend on vacations such as:

Soaring health care costs
Payroll cuts
No raises
No bonuses

Which coupled with the rising costs at WDW has priced them out.

I know for myself, five years ago we had a health insurance plan that was employer paid for 100%. We had co-pays ($10 for office visits, $50 for ER, $1 for generic prescriptions, $5 for name brand, etc.) and no deductibles. Now I spend almost $700 a month for three people and have a $3000/pp deductible.

I've been fortunate that I work in an industry where I haven't been laid off and/or had to take a pay cut. There were a couple of years of no raises and or bonuses. Raises now still aren't great (less than 3%) and the bonuses are a fraction of what they were, but at least they're something.

I have very good friends that were both laid off for a period of time, at different times and while both are working now and have been for several years now, they had to take lesser paying jobs. While they were ok because they tended to live frugally, they still haven't recovered enough to be able to afford more than local trips or a long weekend within driving distance from their home. In fact, the last two years their "big" vacation has been to visit us (we live on a lake and we love to have them). They also are paying more for healthcare than they were five years ago. I know they'd love to go back to WDW, but right now it's just out of reach. They're hoping to go by 2020 (and they used to be yearly visitors too).

Last edited:
The problem that I have with your arguments is that your are assuming that you are average middle class families. That just isn't true. The average middle class family is 2 adults and 2 children. When you had more kids than that, you ceased to be average. I have nothing against larger families, but those families have made a choice. Having more children comes with additional costs, especially at a place like Disney.

Given your situations, stretching your dollar at a place like Disney will be more difficult, especially if you want to stay onsite. An average family of 4 can book a summer stay at a value resort with 6 day base tickets for about $2400. The cost with travel and dining might go a bit over $3000, but it would certainly be doable for many average middle class families every 1-2 years.
Hmm I have to disagree. Disney (the kids adventure place) should be attractive for kids. Kids prices should not be $10 cheaper than that of an adult priced ticket. Whether I have one kid or 6, Disney, Universal and SeaWorld should all have something approaching half priced children (under 16) ticket prices. The way they price it now is ridiculous, and the only thing that comes to mind is "why bother" having kids prices.

I have 4 kids. This year I am flying down to Florida on points on my visa, plus cash tickets. I am staying on site at CBBR in Universal which will set me back $2000. My flights will likely be $2000 K when all said and done. I will stay a week close to Busch Gardens at a h0tel and pay $1700 for the week. Then perhaps a week in Clearwater - Indian Rocks for a cost of around $2200 for a week. Add on tickets for Universal and Volcano - estimate $1800 for 5 day passes or APs. Tickets for Busch Gardens and Seaworld are included in my Hotel package which is awesome. We dont bother with Disney. Then I have to feed my family for 3 weeks. Since we are hoteling it, and not renting homes this time around, then it is potentially $150-200 per day, which will add up. $800 for a minivan. Is anyone adding this up? I might be putting myself off here. Its getting depressing.

I have been to Florida 5 times in the last 7 years. I put 10-15K into the local / US economy. The best value for money I get is at Busch Gardens and, quite frankly, my kids prefer it over Disney. Then Universal is next. To be honest, the water Parks amount to our best days out. Staying at a Vacation Home is better, but my wife wants the kids to have an onsite experience.

Looks like I am in to 12 grand when all is said and done. Its not cheap, Half priced childrens tickets would perhaps take a little off the sting, but not a whole lot.

Last edited:
Personally yes the middle class is priced out of a long Disney vacation at even a moderate resort, certainly it is not an every year expense most in the middle class could afford (that will depend on other spending of course like private schools, cost of living in your state, etc.).

We can afford small trips but bundle it with seeing my grandparents who live in Jacksonville. We go and see them and then stay off site or at a value resort, and only go for a few days (2 this year 3 is the most).

I do feel that if I didn't have a deep history with going to Disney as a child I probably wouldn't be so willing to spend so much for 2 days. By comparison I have a season pass to kings dominion that costs less then a day at Disney. DH also has one and DD has a preschool pass (free for those under 5). Planet snoopy is still fun, DD loves roller coasters and we can go for 5 hours and then leave and be fine with that. We go multiple times over the year and it is worth it for us. So I do cringe when I spend 100/day just to get into the park... but I love Disney so I go!

Hmm I have to disagree. Disney (the kids adventure place) should be attractive for kids. Kids prices should not be $10 cheaper than that of an adult priced ticket. Whether I have one kid or 6, Disney, Universal and SeaWorld should all have something approaching half priced children (under 16) ticket prices. The way they price it now is ridiculous, and the only thing that comes to mind is "why bother" having kids prices.

I just don't agree and think this isn't a reasonable expectation. Many other vacations cost just as much for kids. Cruises are a perfect example, unless there is a special promotion, kids cost just as much as adults. A plane ticket isn't cheaper because it is a child (with the exclusion of lap children). Hotel rooms don't get cheaper because you have 2 adults and 2 children staying in a room versus 4 adults.

I just don't agree and think this isn't a reasonable expectation. Many other vacations cost just as much for kids. Cruises are a perfect example, unless there is a special promotion, kids cost just as much as adults. A plane ticket isn't cheaper because it is a child (with the exclusion of lap children). Hotel rooms don't get cheaper because you have 2 adults and 2 children staying in a room versus 4 adults.

Not exactly...most cruises charge significantly less for a 3rd or 4th passenger in a room. This does not mean it HAS to be a child, but it is likely that many cruising families can take advantage of the large 3rd and 4th guest discounts (and sometimes, there are 3rd and 4th passengers or kids sail free that make this advantage even better)...

On my upcoming cruise, my 1st 2 cabin guests were $569/fares with $25 OBC...my 3rd was $249 with same OBC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter