Merchandise etiquette?

Agreed. This feels unfair. Perhaps they should limit them to two per guest.
Exactly and then seeing him doing the same thing to the other stores was really annoying. Especially where he clearly has more than enough and at this point is just preventing others from getting them.

Exactly and then seeing him doing the same thing to the other stores was really annoying. Especially where he clearly has more than enough and at this point is just preventing others from getting them.

Yup. Totally agree. Not cool.

wow, who are you to say he had more than enough?? Im just astounded that you feel it ok to say how what or how much another person should buy?? Just preventing others from getting them,, ooof me side hurt from laughing, sounds like sour grapes to me. Big deal, this person has the money to buy multiples, big deal, and so what if its a reseller. Ever think that he might be buying for people who can not physically get to the park???

They're supposed to limited the LE pins to two per person or a maximum of two per transaction (at least they used to). So this person should not have been allowed to buy three pins with one AP all in the same transaction. I wish they would enforce the rules more consistently.

So, I’m wondering peoples thoughts on limited edition merchandise purchase etiquette.

I went to the parks on Sunday. Due to work and family obligations I couldn’t go during the week or Saturday, and didn’t arrive until about 3 pm Sunday. First thing I did was go to the pin store at DCA and I got in line for the Oogie Boogie Limited Edition AP pin, which they still had displayed in the case. Unfortunately the guy in front of me got the very last 2 pins, even though he knew I also wanted one (we had discussed it and he knew I was disappointed that they were out). The guy and CM tried to give me possible locations where they may have some left, but unfortunately every place had sold out, many that morning. I did end up running into him later that day (we recognized each other due to sports teams shirts we were wearing), and he knew I didn’t have any luck.

Now, I don’t know what his exact situation was, but I think he just bought 2 pins, one for himself and another for his wife (both middle aged). Thinking back on it, I was a bit annoyed that once he knew it was the last 2 pins, and I wanted one too, he didn’t agree to just get one and let me get the other.

Before I get flamed, I totally know that is not expected of him, and if I really wanted it I should have gotten there earlier (just wasn’t possible for me). I also never insinuated to him that he should let me buy one. I just know when it’s something in limited supply I usually only get one to leave others for other people who want; for example, i waited for an Oogie Boogie popcorn bucket and could have gotten 2, one for me and one for my sister, but knew there was a lot of people who wanted them too, so only got 1.

What do other people think?

Limited is just that, Limited. Popular items will sell out we all know that.
For anything LIMITED, once it becomes available, I say "Wait at your own risk".

But how does it benefit Disney to create a frenzy? They sell as many as they make. If they make more, they would sell more. Having hyped up demand is great, but with no supply to fill it they are leaving money on the table. Now, of course they don't want to be stuck with a ton of unsold product, but I'm sure Disney has some people who would be very good at estimating the demand.
Collectors want to feel like what they collect has value. If Disney flooded the market to saturation they might make more money in the short run, but eventually collectors would no longer feel that what they are buying is "special" and therefor no longer worthy of being collected.

As for the OP, the pin is widely available on Ebay for ~$25 shipped, which is only a few bucks more than it was selling for at retail.

Collectors want to feel like what they collect has value. If Disney flooded the market to saturation they might make more money in the short run, but eventually collectors would no longer feel that what they are buying is "special" and therefor no longer worthy of being collected.

As for the OP, the pin is widely available on Ebay for ~$25 shipped, which is only a few bucks more than it was selling for at retail.

Speaking as a collector-type person, I measure the value of any of the things in my collection in the amount of joy they bring me, not in how exclusive it is.

How much was the list price in the parks? My guess is that $25 shipped still includes a pretty good mark-up...somewhere in the range of half the value depending on the original cost of the pin. If it was one of the lavender pins, $16.95, then it would have been about $15 with AP discount (which you have to have to get the AP pin) and tax. Assuming $2 for shipping, they're still making $8 for each pin they're selling.

I also collect pins, but not because of the monetary value. I collect the ones I like and I'd be inclined to think that more people buy pins because they like them opposed to buying something they think will be worth a lot of money in the future. I would also like to see Disney increase the edition size for the LE pins...maybe a minimum of 5,000 (opposed to the 2,500 or 3,000 that seems the most common) especially for ones that have popular characters.

I'm sure I've been looked at funny when I buy multiples of anything. I bought three of those Jack and Zero nutcrackers and some lady immediately after I figured out how to safely balance the three boxes said to her son loudly that they better hurry up and get one before they were all gone. Could have been a coincidence, but I'm fairly sure she thought I was a reseller.

I'm not. I sent my mom a picture of one and said we needed it. Then she showed two of her friends who decided they needed one too. But I can see how it might have frustrated someone. There were still more on the shelf and more were restocked over the next few days.

Anywho, I only have an issue with resellers. If someone is legitimately picking up something for someone else, I just sigh sadly and wish I could have gotten there a little sooner. In the example, I think there is nothing etiquette breaking. No one should have to share a collection. My mom and I do share a couple things because we really don't need too much around, but pins? Oh definitely not. I want my own.

I also won't buy most things on eBay or from any other reseller source. I don't want to encourage them. It's an issue that's plagued runDisney events where people who can get to the Expo first thing buy up all the highly sought after merch and then there's nothing left for the actual runners. They've sort of corrected this by releasing things in waves over a few days more recently, but it's still a problem.

Anywho, I only have an issue with resellers.
I also won't buy most things on eBay or from any other reseller source. I don't want to encourage them..

but what about me, someone who lives on the other side of the world? If the resellers did not exist then people like me who can not physically get to the parks would have no way of buying merchandise. Yes I know ebay items have a mark up but thats the nature of the game.

I bought the last bit of Chicken Tortilla Soup from Whole Foods yesterday...scraped the pot clean while a lady was behind me waiting(there was not enough for two people anyway). :rolleyes2Sorry, but he was not obligated to buy just one knowing you wanted one. Not flaming you, but I do not understand why this is an issue at all.

Why? If someone wants 3-4, and can pay for them, then go for it. I would not classify this as "unfair". But hey, each to his own.:-)

In this instance I do not think that purchasing 2 pins was out of line, now I do dislike when Disney has, what I deem to be, excessive limits for purchasing certain items, for instance the fact that they initially allowed each person to purchase up to 10 of the Figment POP figures for the Epcot anniversary, but as long as someone purchases within the set limits it is fine and I just grumble to myself about the high limit. I get the disappointment, but he only purchased 2, and sometimes you just don't get there in time and you lose out on an opportunity. We have a couple very close friends that we met at Disney running events, and stay in contact with, we often let one another know when we are going to the parks and are happy to pick up items for one another, it is all part of the fun of sharing a collective love or Disney.

Why? If someone wants 3-4, and can pay for them, then go for it. I would not classify this as "unfair". But hey, each to his own.:-)

Well -- they limit candy cane purchases to two per person. I presume they do this to make it fair since these are things that are in high demand and they want to minimize feelings of unfairness. Is it really the happiest place on Earth if people leave feeling not valued?

Speaking as a collector-type person, I measure the value of any of the things in my collection in the amount of joy they bring me, not in how exclusive it is.
I have many pins that are limited edition, AP exclusive, etc but I also have several generic pins I just thought looked awesome.

How much was the list price in the parks? My guess is that $25 shipped still includes a pretty good mark-up...somewhere in the range of half the value depending on the original cost of the pin. If it was one of the lavender pins, $16.95, then it would have been about $15 with AP discount (which you have to have to get the AP pin) and tax. Assuming $2 for shipping, they're still making $8 for each pin they're selling.
Flipping can be a very controversial topic, but try to look at the other side of it as well. I am very fortunate and can go to DLR on a roughly monthly basis, but there are often times when something I want is not available when I am there. Flippers provide me a chance to still buy those things and I have no problem paying someone a few bucks for the time and effort, as well as the risk they incur in the process. If they didn't make a few bucks, they wouldn't do it. For others who can't get to DLR more than once a year or every few years, the secondary market is an even bigger help.

I completely understand that, but if you look at anything that is widely collected, you'll see that many items are released in limited quantities. The companies that sell these things, be it Disney, Funko etc. do this because it's in their best long term financial interest. They could easily flood the market with these products and make a bunch of money in the short term selling them, but they'll lose out in the long term.

Last edited:
but what about me, someone who lives on the other side of the world? If the resellers did not exist then people like me who can not physically get to the parks would have no way of buying merchandise. Yes I know ebay items have a mark up but thats the nature of the game.

Do what I do? Find a friend to get the item at cost for you. Or accept you may not be able to have the item. I've done both. The latter does break my heart when I've had to do it, but at the end of the day it is just stuff and I have to accept I don't live close enough to go when something new comes out I want.

I don't care how badly I want something. I will never support a reseller. I don't want to be part of the supply problem by helping perpetuate a market for reselling.

But how does it benefit Disney to create a frenzy? They sell as many as they make. If they make more, they would sell more. Having hyped up demand is great, but with no supply to fill it they are leaving money on the table. Now, of course they don't want to be stuck with a ton of unsold product, but I'm sure Disney has some people who would be very good at estimating the demand.

While this totally makes sense, they are still poor at estimating the demand. (Exhibit A: Merch sales at the D23 Expo.)

This is a tough one! Of course the man can certainly buy two if he wants.. even if it is for his wife who lives in the same house! Just bc you live in the same house doesn't mean you can't each have your own thing. I definitely don't think he was being rude or was obligated in any way to only buy one, but since you were discussing the pins in line and he knew you wanted one.. he could have easily spread a little kindness and offered up one of his pins and sent it your way. Everyone is different.. sometimes you meet someone who wants to share the magic and sometimes you don't.:( Also, I do agree with a previous poster that sometimes ppl are just odd and when they know you want something they all of a sudden want it as well and will go as far as to leave you without it. Strange. The way you described it .. it doesn't seem like the man was a jerk about it .. he just wanted one for himself and for his wife.

I do disagree with certain types of reselling inasmuch as I don't like the way prices get jacked up beyond reasonable. It's the same as ticket scalping as far as I'm concerned.

But I don't condemn people for buying multiples for other people. I get more chances to go to DLR than my BFF does as I have family in the area. There have been a few times that I've bought three or four of one thing specifically for myself, her, and the two other Disney-people in my family. I don't see anything wrong with that. Or the Disney 'personal shoppers' who sell for just a small percentage over what they paid + postage. It's the ones who buy multiples of popular items with the express intention of running up the prices to make as large a profit as possible that I dislike.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts