memory maker

shaunbabka

Earning My Ears
I purchased the memory maker, but my question is: is it really worth it? from what I other people have told me, the cast members routinely take photos with someone's camera or phone if they asked.

Cast members will happily take pictures with your own camera, however I will buy the memory maker every time we go from now on. We did 2 trips in 6 months one year, the first trip with MM, the second was just DH and I, so I brought my big professional camera and handed it off to the photographers. It was 100times easier to have MM and not lug my camera around, and half the pictures that were taken with my camera were terrible (some my own fault for not checking settings, and some because he setting would get bumped in the hand off etc). Then I would look at the pics on Photopass and ended up buying several anyways, at $15 a piece! Also, my kids LOVED the magic photos and ride videos. IMO, totally worth it. We travel with another family and split the cost with them as well.

The magic shots and ride photos are great! I second the PP about people not getting great shots with the big cameras. Some of mine are awful. I'm a solo traveler and generally hate photos of myself but MM makes me get out of my comfort zone and greet characters and have pics of myself enjoying my Disney holidays. It's great with family trips because it means everyone gets to be in the photos.
Sounds like you haven't used MM before so on the ride photos I would use your magic band to scan the picture machines because sometimes they don't get the right ride car (on things like Space Mountain) just to make sure the pictures end up on your account. You might get doubles but it sure beats having to ring up Disney Photopass to look for them.

I found MM totally worth it. The magic shots are so cute and the ride photos and videos are nice surprises when you look at your account. I love that I actually got to be in the photos without having to hand my camera over to someone else. Also, the photographers have already scouted out great spots for the photos to have the best backdrops. If you do Enchanted Tales with Belle, all of the photos from your group will go to your account. They also include stock photos as well. We were there for Flower &Garden at Epcot last year and we received some great stock photos of some of the displays. Much more beautiful than I could ever take.

They will take one, maybe two pictures with your own equipment. If they are bad photos, too bad. They take a lot more with their cameras. Even if they aren't professional photographers, the odds are in your favor.

If you want ride photos and magic shots, then yes, it's worth it. If you're just looking for your park pictures, I would say no.

Ride photo's, magic shots, dinner show pics, waterparks shots. Very much worth it. Do it once and decide. We got a great picture for the Christmas card this year from MM.

My answer is always MM is only with it if you're going to do something with the photos. If the pics are just going to sit on your computer for you to look at once a year then no, it's not with it. If you are going to print photos or make a scrapbook or something (I have photo books from all my trips) it can be with the money.

My list goes as follows. . . The more of these things apply to you, the more likely MM is worth it. If fewer apply, you may want to skip it:
- as @msmama said, you've got to be interested in doing something with the photos - frame, scrapbook (paper or digital)
- you are willing to stop at photographers throughout the parks - in front of the icons and elsewhere to pose
- you are interested in the magic shots, which cannot be duplicated by letting a CM use your camera
- you are interested in adding the stickers, signatures and borders that you can do with MM.
- you are going to ride the rides that provide photos (Space, Splash, 7 Dwarfs, Buzz Lightyear, Test Track, Expedition Everest, Dinosaur, Rockin Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror)
- you are going to do Enchanted Tales with Belle, Jedi Training, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, or Pirates League, all of which take LOTS of photos. CM photos may come out much better than your own at these events due to tricky lighting or the CM's ability to stand in the best spot, also allowing you to watch and enjoy the event without worrying about pictures.
- the longer your trip the better
- the more people in your party, the better (especially if you'll be splitting up at all)
- you are planning to meet characters. CMs at a Meet & Greet will take many candids of the whole interaction with their cameras, whereas they'd only take a couple photos of the "say cheese" posed photo if you give them your camera
- your group's photographer is eager to be IN the photos for a change
- you are doing any of the character meals where you get a posed photo prior to being seated, such as CRT, Tusker House, Chef Mickey, Akershus (you'll still need your own camera for the characters that come to your table)
- you think you'll buy 10 or more photos. MM costs you $149 and individual pictures are $15. If you buy 9 or fewer, you don't need MM.

We are also thinking about getting MM for the first time. Thanks for all the great input everyone!

My list goes as follows. . .

- the more people in your party, the better (especially if you'll be splitting up at all)

We are doing a 5-family trip in June. All families are linked back to me on MDE. If I purchase MM, will everyone be able to use it? I'd like to split the cost 5 ways, but also think it will be great since we will split up at times.

We are doing a 5-family trip in June. All families are linked back to me on MDE. If I purchase MM, will everyone be able to use it? I'd like to split the cost 5 ways, but also think it will be great since we will split up at times.

Yes, but you'll be the only one who can do the downloads, unless you're willing to give the other families your log in information.

I really like it. As you can see on the left I really like the ride videos and the Magic shots are really cute. But the best part were all the nice family shots.

We always get the MM package.
That way I can be in the pictures too. :D
I still take my Nikon so I can take shots tailored to our family, and what we see and do, throughout the parks.

Yes, everyone will be able to use it, get pictures even when separated, and see the pictures on their own MDE, BUT as @siskaren said, only the oner person who purchased it can actually do the edits and download (i just got together with them after our trip and let them edit, then made CDs for each family)

Split 5 ways, it'll be the best $30 you can spend at WDW!

They will take one, maybe two pictures with your own equipment. If they are bad photos, too bad. They take a lot more with their cameras. Even if they aren't professional photographers, the odds are in your favor.

Not really. If there is a line they take a standard shot and then a close up. Maybe 3 pictures at most. The only time they take "a lot more" is when there is no line and they are bored. CMs with props will take a few extra shots, but they will do this with your camera or Mickey's. They get paid by the hour, so it makes no different to them. If a CM has a camera on a tripod, they are very limited as they are required to keep the camera on the stand. That is a good portion of PPPs.

Not really. If there is a line they take a standard shot and then a close up. Maybe 3 pictures at most. The only time they take "a lot more" is when there is no line and they are bored. CMs with props will take a few extra shots, but they will do this with your camera or Mickey's. They get paid by the hour, so it makes no different to them. If a CM has a camera on a tripod, they are very limited as they are required to keep the camera on the stand. That is a good portion of PPPs.

Must be luck of the draw. That has not been my experience. I think the fewest shots I've ever gotten with one photographer is 4, usually more. I seem to get 2-3 shots each of 2-4 poses, regardless of lines. I think about half the time I may actually ask them to take lots or mention the we have MM to encourage it. For sure, during character meets I get at least a dozen unposed and 5+ posed.

Must be luck of the draw. That has not been my experience. I think the fewest shots I've ever gotten with one photographer is 4, usually more. I seem to get 2-3 shots each of 2-4 poses, regardless of lines. I think about half the time I may actually ask them to take lots or mention the we have MM to encourage it. For sure, during character meets I get at least a dozen unposed and 5+ posed.

Agree Mikie. In my experience, they will take a handful. Besides, even if they take three pictures at most because there is a line, they will likely only take 1 with your phone then move you along. The point still stands that you have more options with MM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter