Meal Delivery

JaxDad

DIS Veteran
Help! I am in a rut with dinners for me and my children, DS11 and DD8.

I am not the best cook and I never seem to have time to get creative and learn! I want to provide something easy AND healthy. DS is an adventurous eater, but DD is not. Has anyone tried meal delivery services, like Schwartz? Are they good? Are they affordable, at least compared to eating out at cheaper restaurants? Do they work for my situation (single parent with a couple kids)? Although I appreciate any wonderful recipes sent in reply, I will most likely bookmark and forget! (Sorry; just keeping it real!)

Thanks in advance!

I haven't used one of those services, mainly because I live in the country and out of most delivery service areas. But what worked for me was to have 10 meals I could easily shop for and cook, and just rotated that. With eating out once per week, that gave almost 2 weeks of meals without duplication, which seems enough for my family. Here are examples of what those meals could be:
-steak fajitas
-chicken caesar salad
-spaghetti with a veggie and meat sauce
-homemade chicken fingers and wedge fries (and a side veggie like green beans)
-taco salad
-bacon and eggs (could be pea meal/Canadian bacon for better nutrition), with a veggie or salad on the side
-homemade fried rice with meat and veggies
-basic broiled chicken legs, rice and broccoli
-grilled salmon or other chunky fish with rice and a veg
-meat and veggie stir-fry with sesame chinese noodles

I prefer meals without a ton of ingredients. For instance, the steak fajitas are only steak, flour tortillas, peppers, onion, cheese and seasoning. And they take about 15 minutes including prep and cooking. The homemade chicken fingers are just chicken breast, panko crumbs, seasoning, and then potatoes and seasoning for wedge fries.

Hope this helps. It's just about getting an easy repertoire that you can use over and over again. Don't worry about being creative - sometimes you feel up to trying something new and so new recipes can sneak in.

Thanks Terapin! You gave me a couple great ideas to add to my own rotation!

With cooler weather coming, I will also start cranking up the crockpot again for chili and beef stew.

Hi There! I'm following along o_Oo_Ohere because I'm in a similar situation. I haven't tried those services personally. But, curious. I'm a single mom & don't get home from work until 10:30pm. So meal planning for 3 boys is a challenge! I have a football player, basketball player and a boxer so healthy, substantial meals are important. I will leave a big pot of meatballs & sauce on the stove or beef stew. My kids are teens so they will bust open a bag of frozen chicken tenders and be happy. Which I feel guilty over.
I've even tried those premade rotisserie chickens and my kids love em!
Anyway I did not help at all, lol but hoping someone else will!

I buy the rotisserie chicken sometimes too, but haven't in a while. I can add that back into the rotation.

I've done quick spaghetti meals using frozen turkey meatballs, which I also feel guilty over!

I also really like the grilled Tyson sliced chicken. It comes in a bag and I throw it in the freezer. One of my sons 15, doesn't mind cooking simple things. So he will boil pasta, add broccoli. I get that package of pesto & just add water & oil he will do that, then he adds that chicken. Takes him 20 min.
I buy those frozen meatballs too!!!!!! I also will buy in the deli area the already made ravioli's. They are pretty good.
I cook on weekends so it makes me feel a little less guilty. Sometimes I just leave $40 on the table and they go get pizza and wings. It's such a challenge!

Also want to add that I do peapod. Not sure if you have stop & shop where you are. This is a grocery delivery service where I chose what I want online. It saves time for me and I can plan my meals that way.

Have you looked on Yummly or Pinerest for ideas? Also I love the site www.skinnytaste.com she has some great stuff. Try the Chicken Cordon Blue easy and my kids love it. I will say that I use the Tyson chicken patties for quick dinners a lot, we make all kinds of sandwiches with them and add Crispy Crowns, Veggies and ranch dip.

I signed up for BlueApron.com a few months ago. Ingredients for meals delivered right to your door. All healthy, fast and super easy. My DD and I cook each meal together and she loves it. Haven't had a bad meal yet. Super easy knowing you've got meals ready to go 3 nights per week and don't have to figure out what you're having for dinner. I highly recommend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter