McDonald's locations now charging for extra dipping sauces

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
I've heard that over the years, different franchises had their own policies on charging extra for dipping sauces. In particular, some of the limited time dipping sauces I've seen always charged extra for them - like the limited time WcDonald's sauce and some current garlic sauce.

However, I've noticed recently that through the app or on the kiosks there's typically a charge of 29 cents each for most of the traditional dipping sauces that come with Chicken McNuggets - BBQ, ranch, sweet & sour, honey mustard, Buffalo, etc. Strangely enough, I haven't seen a price for hot mustard. I've seen this when ordering at different locations in my area.

I thought it actually worked out pretty well. At least around here there's a special on Fridays for free medium fries with a minimum purchase of $1. There isn't much that sell for a $1 or so now, so four of these covers that minimum. I did that last week with two BBQ and two ranch, plus two hot mustard (which was listed as complimentary) and I was paying for it. But when I got my order I saw one of each in my bag. I took it to an employee who pointed at a sign on the wall about how many come with Chicken McNuggets (for each size) and said I was only entitled to two. But I had fries which were free, and a receipt that noted I paid 58 cents for two BB and 58 cents for two ranch. Then the manager came and said I was wrong, but then I pointed to the amount I paid on the receipt and after some hesitation I got those sauces.

I'm guessing there's a bit of confusion where even the employees don't know what's going on. But if I'm specially paying for them, I'm sure as heck going to get them. I've gone crazy a few times where I just ordered extras on the app or via the kiosk when they had no price, just to see if they'd do it. And at one location someone had a heck of a sense of humor where I got everything I asked for and neatly arranged in carefully placed rows.

That’s been happening for many many years in some locations. And they should. Don’t blame them.

Cant say I blame them, its not free to them and they are having some challenges now.

I can recall having to pay for ketchup at McDonalds back in the 90s in Ireland, and probably most of Europe.
It was 5 pence.

Nothing new. Been visiting MCD and Dairy Queen for years that have had signs saying how many sauces come with nuggets and extra costs more. Been paying it too. Seems like something that should be a courtesy, but I understand the need to recoup for waste.

This is extra sauce adjacent.

My wife likes very little sauce on her pasta and will either order the sauce on the side or light sauce if they say they can't put the sauce on the side. She always explains she needs very little sauce.

When the food comes it generally comes with a half gallon sized bowl of sauce. She uses two to three tablespoons or so and the rest goes to waste.

Getting the right amount of sauce without waste to the customer is apparently very hard.

The policy that always baffled me were the fast food places that allow you 2 packets of any sauce they have for free, EXCEPT Ranch. There was a 25 cent per packet charge if you wanted Ranch.
I get it, because I think for many of us, they give us too many packets of sauce. I have more Arby Sauce and Taco Sauce than I will ever use because staff put a hand full of them in every bag of food.

Funny people are in a site that is based on vacations that costs many thousands of dollars talking about what might add up to $3 per year.
People really don’t like extra fees and charges for what they think should be included.

It doesn’t matter how small the extra fee.

Better to just raise prices and bundle.

I have 0 issue with them charging for sauces. If you order fries, you get ketchup for free. Anything else, you pay for. Their suppliers don't give them free sauce, why should they give it away free?

I've gone crazy a few times where I just ordered extras on the app or via the kiosk when they had no price, just to see if they'd do it. And at one location someone had a heck of a sense of humor where I got everything I asked for and neatly arranged in carefully placed rows.
This is why they charge, and frankly this is appalling behavior.

Better to just raise prices and bundle.
Well, they kinda do. The McNugget price has been adjusted to account for the sauce, I'm sure. But how do they bundle the cost for unlimited sauces if you have "customers" like @bcla getting 20 sauces for 4 McNuggets? Should everyone pay more so that @bcla can get free sauce for a year?

I have 0 issue with them charging for sauces. If you order fries, you get ketchup for free. Anything else, you pay for. Their suppliers don't give them free sauce, why should they give it away free?
You don't think they pay for ketchup?

I have no issues with them changing for sauces. Just wish they gave a discount for "no sauce".

You don't think they pay for ketchup?
They do, and so does every restaurant everywhere. The unanimous decision by restaurants is to give you free ketchup for your food (at least, I have never seen one that charged for ketchup).
The differences:
A) many places have the big tubs of ketchup that you pump into a cup. No real incentive to steal a cup of ketchup.
B) ketchup packets are cheaper than the little sauce containers.
C) ketchup is assumed to be included with fries, burgers, etc. Other sauces are not. They're a customer specific extra (for fries/burgers/milkshakes/whatever). Dipping sauce is assumed to be included with nuggets, so you get a free one/two/eight (depends on nugget quantity).

Should everyone pay more so that @bcla can get free sauce for a year?
I believe most consumers would be happier if that were the case. There would of course be some who recognized they were paying more and not using all the things bundled in the price but the majority of consumers would be happy.

Cant say I blame them, its not free to them and they are having some challenges now.

I can recall having to pay for ketchup at McDonalds back in the 90s in Ireland, and probably most of Europe.
It was 5 pence.
Yes, you paid for ketchup at the Mickey D’s in Paris but mayo was free. This was back in the late 70’s/ early 80’s.

The policy that always baffled me were the fast food places that allow you 2 packets of any sauce they have for free, EXCEPT Ranch. There was a 25 cent per packet charge if you wanted Ranch.
That reminds me of some “old style” restaurants from decades ago that charged extra for blue cheese salad dressing.

My father was always too cheap to pay it. He also didn’t let me get sprinkles “jimmies” on my ice cream cones. :sad::sad::sad:

That reminds me of some “old style” restaurants from decades ago that charged extra for blue cheese salad dressing.

My father was always too cheap to pay it. He also didn’t let me get sprinkles “jimmies” on my ice cream cones. :sad::sad::sad:
Wow, never ran into that and I am 67. I do remember I knew as a kid it was a fancy restaurant if they had Roquefort dressing. But no extra charge for that either.

I know it's difficult to cut it off as what is reasonable but often my DH and I share the $5 bag. I like BBQ for my fries and nuggets. He likes sweet and sour for his nuggets (yes we split them). I don't think asking for 2 sauces is outrageous and would be annoyed about being charged for that. If we asked for 10 sauces then I get them wanting to discourage that.

On the other note, I do not eat red sauce. I'm happy to eat any shape pasta with butter sauce if the chef wants to do that or just give me plain pasta and I'll use the butter from the bread. I explain it as though I eat like a picky child and that I'm perfectly happy with that and a little parm cheese (and I expect to pay a full price of a regular pasta entree). Only once have I had a chef refuse to prepare it. And it was in some "upscale" Italian chain (no, not olive garden). Trust me, I wasn't insulting some chef who was using his Nonna's recipe for sauce/gravy. It was so embarrassing but I certainly did speak to the manager and say when the chef was paying for my meal then he is welcome to make it to his liking. When I am paying for it he can kindly boil some pasta and put it on a plate considering he has no idea why my food preferences are what they are. None of our table of 12 ever returned to the restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest