• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mayonnaise roulette

china mom

DIS Veteran
We have two kitchens and therefore two refrigerators and we never seem to have mayonnaise in the main kitchen. So, the other day, DH went looking and found five, yes five, opened and partially used jars of mayonnaise. Upon questioning my son, the main suspect, he learned that DS had accidently left a jar of mayonnaise out on the counter overnight and then put it in the fridge in the morning. Not wanting to risk certain death, he opened a new jar rather than use that one. The next time he wanted some, he could not remember which was the bad jar so he got a new one from the pantry...and so on and so on.

So, now we have four good jars and one risky one and no one knows which is which.

🙄
Kids!

Toss them and start over. And buy him a Sharpie 😆

No, show him where the garbage can is. :lmao:
TrashCan.gif

Here in the Netherlands we do not keep condiments in the fridge. So... I would start using the one which is going to expire first.
That's kind of what I told DH. It will probably be fine. I guess we will know soon enough :D

That's kind of what I told DH. It will probably be fine. I guess we will know soon enough :D

Give it the sniff test. Back in the last century when I was a child, (and was probably done for centuries before that,) that's how people figured out if anything was funky. I'm still surprised any of us survived. :lmao:

Last edited:
So is anyone else amazed that you had 4 new unopened jars of mayo for this kid to grab? I'm lucky if I have 1 in the pantry when the jar in the fridge gets used up.

I just loaded up on three jars from the Dollar Tree. I go through so many that I go from having a small stockpile to suddenly nothing in my cabinet in no time.

So is anyone else amazed that you had 4 new unopened jars of mayo for this kid to grab? I'm lucky if I have 1 in the pantry when the jar in the fridge gets used up.
DH is a Costco shopper. He usually grabs a couple of two packs at a time. We are pretty well stocked in peanut butter and ketchup too. Toilet paper, OTOH, I have to nag him to buy.

Mayo needs to be refrigerated once open. If you don't know which was left out after opening, it is safest to toss all of them. Many unopened products you find on the shelf in the grocery store will say to refrigerate after opening (at least here in the USA, I am not familiar with how products are packaged/perserved or may have other additives to make them shelf stable in other countries). Food that has gone bad doesn't necessarily have an off odor. Smelling something isn't a reliable way to determine if it is safe to eat.

Cooked foods should be refrigerated within 2 hrs after the meal has ended. Food safe handling guidelines aren't about how much you can get away with but more related to consistent practices in order to insure the food is safe to eat.

Don't be distracted by the no-mayo-at-picnics ancient thinking. Prepared, jarred mayo is jam-packed with preservatives, and no raw, unpasteurized eggs. It was never combined with warm, damp ingredients so there's little chance there was time for bacteria to form. Give it the smell test and it should be fine as long as it's not past the use by date. Mayo lasts way past the use by date in the fridge.

And in the future, don't open another jar until the opened one is empty. End of lecture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter