May be a dumb dining plan question

I've never added a DDP, but according to the DVC website...

How to Purchase
Visit the Vacation Center to purchase a Disney Dining Plan. Then, select "Travel Plan Details." Under your accommodations details, please select "Add a Dining Plan."

Disney Dining Plans cannot be added at check-in and must be booked at least 48 hours prior to check-in. Payment is due in full at the time of booking.

Have questions? Contact Member Services

Yes, I did this a couple weeks ago for our one night reservation, I followed the instructions above and it worked perfectly.

Which plan did you pick? Any pointers? Worth it in your opinion? Thanks!

We just did the Deluxe plan (DxDP) for the one night because we already had a reservation booked at Sanaa for dinner the first night and Artist Point for dinner the second night, plus wanted to hit up the food booths at Flower and Garden and have a split stay so we can use our mugs for the entire stay even though we only have the plan for our first one night reservation, so the DxDP made a lot of sense for us for what we already had planned.

In general, in my 30+ visits we have only done the dining plan one other time and that was also the deluxe (DxDP) the dining plans just do not work for how my husband and I like to eat on a typical WDW vacation. We don't typically each order an entree for dinner, one of us my order an entree while the other orders an app and side, or we may just split a few apps, we also like to eat at the lounges such as Victoria Falls, Tutto Gusto, La Cava, etc. and these aren't covered by the dining plans. We also don't snack nearly as much as we think we will. The dining plans work well for some families, but they just do not work for us at all, it just so happens that the DxDP makes sense for the first single night of our split stay based on what we already had planned or we wouldn't have considered it.

We just did the Deluxe plan (DxDP) for the one night because we already had a reservation booked at Sanaa for dinner the first night and Artist Point for dinner the second night, plus wanted to hit up the food booths at Flower and Garden and have a split stay so we can use our mugs for the entire stay even though we only have the plan for our first one night reservation, so the DxDP made a lot of sense for us for what we already had planned.

In general, in my 30+ visits we have only done the dining plan one other time and that was also the deluxe (DxDP) the dining plans just do not work for how my husband and I like to eat on a typical WDW vacation. We don't typically each order an entree for dinner, one of us my order an entree while the other orders an app and side, or we may just split a few apps, we also like to eat at the lounges such as Victoria Falls, Tutto Gusto, La Cava, etc. and these aren't covered by the dining plans. We also don't snack nearly as much as we think we will. The dining plans work well for some families, but they just do not work for us at all, it just so happens that the DxDP makes sense for the first single night of our split stay based on what we already had planned or we wouldn't have considered it.
Thank you! Were you able to use your refillable mug the rest of the trip?

We aren't going until the 17th but we know that the mugs will be able to be used across all three of our stays, unless Disney changes something between now and then.

I added the DxDP to a 1-night stay at CCV before we moved to BWV with no dining plan. The mugs remained good thru the end of our stay. When you activate the mug or use it at a mug refill station, the digital read out will display the expiration date for the mug. I believe that it was 21 days after activation. However, we were only there for 8 nights, so I could be mistaken.

I don't know if it was just a glitch but even though I paid for the dining plan online, my reservation showed that the amount was due at check in. And that's when my card was charged...the day of check in.

The mugs are usually good for around 14 days (or that was what it was the last time I went)...they are perfect for split stays which we do often! So, yes, if you buy a dining plan for part of the stay and then move to a different resort for the rest, you can still use the mugs for the length of your stay.

Generally the Dining Plans work out if you have several children under the age limit, because the quick service credits can all be used for adult meals. So if you plan wisely and split adult quick services between kids, you can get breakfasts and lunches out of the plan. Also, the snack credits if used for more than waters and fruits can get you some really nice things to eat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter