May 2024 Direct Sales Up

Do they have issues filling the Moderates like they do the Deluxe?
Probably not as much but the recent incentives show they are probably struggling across the board. Probably not the values I would assume. I think a separate moderate DVC makes a lot of sense for Disney but I guess the challenge would be trying to do that while not watering down the deluxe version. I know I personally would buy into that system as well as I really have always loved the moderates for their more old school charm.

A rule of thumb I learned from an hospitality insider on WDWMagic is that their ability to fill the resort is in almost perfect inverse correlation to the price they charge. So the All Stars are 100% booked 100% of nights, Pop and AoA LM are virtually always booked, then CBR, then CSR are the next highest occupancy, then PO, etc.

The problem with CFW being a moderate is that it doesn't have signature dining, a feature pool, good transportation, etc - when all of the DVC resorts have at least 2 out of 3 of those things (and most have all 3). Yet CFW still costs the same rate as a deluxe like Riviera, plus with substantially higher dues.

They're charging deluxe pricing for a lesser experience. Which is why I assume they'll do something with the Reflections land or the trust to add more deluxe accommodations to this site over time.

It sounds like not as much. A commenter on my favorite blog reported she’s staying at Caribbean Beach for like $240/night this summer and got an “upgrade offer” to BC for like $350 or GF for $500/night. She turned it down which had me like 😳 because I’ve paid more than 2x that for a beach club studio in the past. 😭

Also, “woof” was literally the word that came to mind when I saw the 1000 point Riviera contract…glad I’m not alone.

It sounds like not as much. A commenter on my favorite blog reported she’s staying at Caribbean Beach for like $240/night this summer and got an “upgrade offer” to BC for like $350 or GF for $500/night. She turned it down which had me like 😳 because I’ve paid more than 2x that for a beach club studio in the past. 😭

Also, “woof” was literally the word that came to mind when I saw the 1000 point Riviera contract…glad I’m not alone.
The summer weather looks pretty miserable…. and with humidity…. no thanks!

The summer weather looks pretty miserable…. and with humidity…. no thanks!
I think the summer weather makes BC’s location, pool, and layout even more valuable compared to CB— paying 2x as much for GF doesn’t make sense to me.

Caveat that I’ve never stayed at Caribbean Beach and it might also be a lot of fun for pools and resort activities…but I’ve heard it’s huge and a lot of walking/waiting for internal transit. I’m still hoping they’ll make some sort of cabungalow product right near a skyliner station.

435 points would’ve been around $50k. Without any incentives ($205pp) would’ve been ~$90k.

The nice thing about OKW sale was the more manageable buy-in cost and extended contract. The higher dues eat into the savings over time though. The aspect that didn’t appeal to me was trading out those points to higher point charts (RIV, VGF, PVB), and being able to trade into alot of OKW inventory with lower dues elsewhere.
I will stay at OKW, but it is not my first choice. It feels like it is so far from the parks, this includes SSR too. Meaning I would not buy in there. The bus ride around the whole place is long...... I do like Olivia's. But with high dues, I would rather be BWV, GF, BLT, PVB. More money, but trade offs seem better to me.

The $50,000 was what he paid after all the savings. Pretty sure my mouth hung open, when he said he paid cash too.

I just read that comment earlier today. I would have jumped at the BC offer just for the walkability and pool area. I've stayed at CBR and turns out I hate doors to the outside plus it's quite the walk to the skyliner.

This triggered a conversation we had with our Guide Dillon. We talked about OKW, blah blah blah. But then he said he had a guy purchase a huge amount of points and with the "sale" and refund thing, he ended up paying nearly half. I want to say it was like $50,000 or close, when all said and done. I was like Whoa. Glad that guy likes it there.
435 points would’ve been around $50k. Without any incentives ($205pp) would’ve been ~$90k.

The nice thing about OKW sale was the more manageable buy-in cost and extended contract. The higher dues eat into the savings over time though. The aspect that didn’t appeal to me was trading out those points to higher point charts (RIV, VGF, PVB), and being able to trade into alot of OKW inventory with lower dues elsewhere.
I will stay at OKW, but it is not my first choice. It feels like it is so far from the parks, this includes SSR too. Meaning I would not buy in there. The bus ride around the whole place is long...... I do like Olivia's. But with high dues, I would rather be BWV, GF, BLT, PVB. More money, but trade offs seem better to me.

The $50,000 was what he paid after all the savings. Pretty sure my mouth hung open, when he said he paid cash too.
@DonkeyHoTay -- care to weigh in here?

I just read that comment earlier today. I would have jumped at the BC offer just for the walkability and pool area. I've stayed at CBR and turns out I hate doors to the outside plus it's quite the walk to the skyliner.
I’m already staying at BWV on points this summer, but I was tempted to book CBR just to see if I get offered an upgrade to BCV before the cancellation deadline for my BWV reservation. 🤪

Go big or go home…I guess.

Someone’s going to have a lot of wonderful stays. Love to hear the chatter about how they will use the points. Ok, week for Christmas every year 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom spring time with extended family, duo every year for two on our anniversary, gift mom and dad a few days on their anniversary, etc.

Or maybe they go big with a 3bedroom every year for a week and a half. Decisions decisions.

This triggered a conversation we had with our Guide Dillon. We talked about OKW, blah blah blah. But then he said he had a guy purchase a huge amount of points and with the "sale" and refund thing, he ended up paying nearly half. I want to say it was like $50,000 or close, when all said and done. I was like Whoa. Glad that guy likes it there.
DonkeyHoTay just bought something like 2,400 pts at OKW... good price, but still!

We took our resale Poly contract of 220 points we bought in late 2022 (162/2022, 220/2023, and 220/2024) at $149pp and sold it for $169.50pp with 0/2022, 0/2023, 0/2024, and 220/2025. We still made a tad bit of money on the sale from our original buy-in costs after the 8% commission. We used that sale to grab 150 points at OKW direct before the Poly contract closes to get the member add-on pricing and we are in the early stages of getting 160 points at AKV for $88pp. So while we are shaving off nine years, the additional 900 points over the life of the contracts will have cost us around $2,000 or so and we now have direct benefits.

One day, we look forward to using our 150 direct points to book a couch in the new PVB tower once the DVC crowds shift their attention to an even newer resort being built between PVB and VGF. You may not think it can be done, but Walt was known to say things like, “It’s kind of fun to do the impossible.”

facebook twitter