Masks - really ?

Blueslegend

Earning My Ears
Hi all

So I see Disney are now selling masks. However are masks effective or is this simple profiteering?

From a C19 perspective I can’t see how masks will be effective. Every time you touch it, drop it to eat or drink or indeed and dare I say smoke, it is rendered useless. By virtue if you like to eat, drink or smoke (Food and Wine spring to mind) you would need at least 20 masks a day. And good luck with the kids wearing masks and social distancing.

As such and in my humble opinion (combined with the false sense of security masks can dangerously provide) masks are not an option.

The only viable option I can see is to somehow ensure everyone in the ‘bubble’ is not a risk. Virus free.

Thoughts ?

All profits from the sale of the Disney masks will be donated. From the blog post:

"To further help those in need, Disney is donating one million cloth face masks for children and families in underserved and vulnerable communities across the U.S., including California and Florida, that will be distributed by MedShare. Disney will also donate all profits from the sales in the U.S. of Disney’s cloth face masks to Medshare, up to $1 million, now through September 30, 2020."

As for your perspective on their efficacy, you seem to be very knowledgeable from a medical standpoint. Could you explain why touching it, etc., render a mask "useless"? My admittedly uneducated understanding is that the purpose of non-medical cloth face coverings is to limit the projection of droplets, which I don't see how the things you mentioned would prevent. Is that incorrect?

Hi all

So I see Disney are now selling masks. However are masks effective or is this simple profiteering?

From a C19 perspective I can’t see how masks will be effective. Every time you touch it, drop it to eat or drink or indeed and dare I say smoke, it is rendered useless. By virtue if you like to eat, drink or smoke (Food and Wine spring to mind) you would need at least 20 masks a day. And good luck with the kids wearing masks and social distancing.

As such and in my humble opinion (combined with the false sense of security masks can dangerously provide) masks are not an option.

The only viable option I can see is to somehow ensure everyone in the ‘bubble’ is not a risk. Virus free.

Thoughts ?
The mask will not prevent you completely from Covid, but if you happen to be an asymptomatic carrier and sneeze in public it will greatly reduce the transmission of the disease to others. If everyone wears a mask the risk goes down for all. Less droplets being spread in the air and onto surfaces. Its the best way we have to protect each other in public spaces.

Disney’s Cloth Face Masks
Disney is committed to serving the communities where we live and work. During these challenging times, we’re using the power of our timeless stories and beloved characters to address our guests’ needs for family-friendly reusable cloth face masks.
Disney is donating one million cloth face masks for children and families in underserved and vulnerable communities across the U.S. that will be distributed by MedShare (www.medshare.org). Disney will also donate all profits from the sales in the U.S. of Disney’s cloth face masks to Medshare, up to $1 million, now through September 30, 2020.

Your personal opinion about the wearing of masks and the effectiveness or not for protecting you from Covid 19 really wont matter to Disney. If they make a policy about wearing masks in the parks, then like all other Disney policies, you have the choice to comply and experience Disney parks or choose not to go to Disney parks.

People want or need to use masks depending on where they live. They are losing money. This is a chance for them to make money, which if you want them to eventually open they need to do. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Great way for them to capitalize on a need right now.

Missing the point. It doesn’t protect you. Personally I think making money out of misfortune is reprehensible. But hey, each to their own I guess.

Hi all

Thoughts ?

The bold is mine...that would mean staying home to be 100% risk free. IMHO...if you are a smoker you are more at risk and wearing any mask won't help.

ETA...they are washable.

Last edited:
Missing the point. It doesn’t protect you. Personally I think making money out of misfortune is reprehensible. But hey, each to their own I guess.
They are not making money off the sale of these masks. Money going to charity to help our communities here in Fl and those in CA.

I ordered mine this morning. My daughter just contacted me asking for me to order the Princess set for my Granddaughter for her birthday. I'm kinda bummed they don't have matching ears, but that would make them a LOT more than $20 for a set of 4

Disney requiring masks in the parks, while selling Disney character themed masks at the park entrances for the convenience of guests who did not bring one, could be a nice new source of profit for them. And then the inevitable limited edition masks, DVC-exclusive masks, and fun mask-trading with CMs and at mask-trading stations. Oh wait, on second thoughts maybe drop that last idea.

All profits from the sale of the Disney masks will be donated. From the blog post:

"To further help those in need, Disney is donating one million cloth face masks for children and families in underserved and vulnerable communities across the U.S., including California and Florida, that will be distributed by MedShare. Disney will also donate all profits from the sales in the U.S. of Disney’s cloth face masks to Medshare, up to $1 million, now through September 30, 2020."

As for your perspective on their efficacy, you seem to be very knowledgeable from a medical standpoint. Could you explain why touching it, etc., render a mask "useless"? My admittedly uneducated understanding is that the purpose of non-medical cloth face coverings is to limit the projection of droplets, which I don't see how the things you mentioned would prevent. Is that incorrect?

The virus can stay on hard surfaces for 72 hours. You touch something with the virus on and then touch your mask (face) the mask to protect you has now infected you. I have no intention of alarming anyone. I am just saying, think outside of the box. There must be a better way. I am shocked that so many people think that Disney profiteering is acceptable. Are you mad ? If you want to donate just look at at 100 year old Captain Tom in England. That’s sincerity and not Disney machiavellian..

Disney requiring masks in the parks, while selling Disney character themed masks at the park entrances for the convenience of guests who did not bring one, could be a nice new source of profit for them. And then the inevitable limited edition masks, DVC-exclusive masks, and fun mask-trading with CMs and at mask-trading stations. Oh wait, on second thoughts maybe drop that last idea.

LOL.....Magic band mask ?

Also another thought. Disney is very likely using this as market research. They will be tracking all the data, from the chatter online, to the hits on the website and the amount of sales. They will be using this data as a barometer of public interest , and the fact that we are all talking about the masks, and certain types are now selling out, will most likely be a factor in Disney's policies for the re opening of the parks, and the sale of masks and whether or not to make them mandatory

The virus can stay on hard surfaces for 72 hours. You touch something with the virus on and then touch your mask (face) the mask to protect you has now infected you. I have no intention of alarming anyone. I am just saying, think outside of the box. There must be a better way. I am shocked that so many people think that Disney profiteering is acceptable. Are you mad ? If you want to donate just look at at 100 year old Captain Tom in England. That’s sincerity and not Disney machiavellian..
Colonel Tom now! He was promoted on his 100th birthday! What an amazing man.

I really don't know how I feel about safeguard protocols at WDW.
  • Distancing, yes. No more 'fill in all available space'. No more filling in extra seats next to a family/group.
  • Temp screen, yes. I realize it there are gaps but it still makes a tremendous difference to spread. People with fevers shed higher viral loads. People with fevers will think twice about showing up at the park gate. People who unknowingly have fevers will become aware.
  • Masks, unsure at WDW. In regular life they make sense when people are hopping into a store or temporarily sharing public space. But to keep putting it on and off all day in WDW... that's probably more unhygienic than no mask there.
For WDW, I think mandatory thermal screening and distancing but make masks optional. Those who choose to wear them are likely to be the people who understand how to use them properly. To make the other people wear them is inviting trouble because if they aren't using them properly it brings them more risk in an environment like WDW.

I think WDW is going to need to increase ventilation for some rides and buildings, too. Get that air flowing :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter