Mary Lou Retton Fighting for Her Life in ICU

But it’s not. Her choice to not get insurance is well-reported. And now she‘s begging for money. What a skank.
Wow! I'm speechless. What a horrible thing to say.

backspace, backspace, backspace...

Can you provide what was "well reported"? I see speculation now about money problems, but what else do you think you know?

(unbackspaced lol )

Last edited:
I can't speak to Ms Feinstein's situation specifically ... but Medicare is secondary if the policy-holder is employed full-time. A US Senator is employed full-time. Therefore, despite being a "Gold Level Healthcare" plan there may well be providers/facilities who are out-of-network. As such, Medicare may refuse to pay secondary coverage if the patient did not go in-network with the primary coverage.
Tough to scrape up money when you are only worth $90 million. Of course she could have been cash poor I guess.

Very sad to hear this. I remember just loving Mary Lou Retton when I was a kid. Seeing her on the Wheaties box was huge for me as I was into gymnastics as child.

As for the Go Fund Me, if you don't agree then don't give money. That simple. Geesh!

No need to berate and call someone who can't even breathe on her own a skank. Absolutely uncalled for.

I saw this story the other day. It is quite sad. She's a year younger than I am, and I'm curious what kind of pneumonia she has and if pre-existing conditions may be a part of her difficulty in fighting it.

I don't understand why someone with apparent means doesn't have insurance. But, if people want to donate to help her, that's their business. I've just started to try and understand the ACA marketplace, and it certainly works for many people. However, it works best for people who live in a metro area and not so much for those in rural areas. At a minimum, she could have gotten a catastrophic policy for just this kind of situation. This is the nightmare scenario....where one's net worth can be wiped out, or at a minimum have a big chunk go towards this.

I suspect that due to her fame and the Go Fund Me.....that she'll be okay on the financial front. I hope she makes it.

I’ve been following gymnastics forever and let’s just say she’s not one of my favorites. She really wasn’t all that back then. It was the circumstances. Add in her views on Nassar and now this insurance thing - not one of my favorites.

No need to berate and call someone who can't even breathe on her own a skank. Absolutely uncalled for.
With respect, a skank is someone dishonorable and sleazy. I believe her (or her agents’) actions fit both of those descriptors. I’m sorry if you or others disagree.

With respect, a skank is someone dishonorable and sleazy. I believe her (or her agents’) actions fit both of those descriptors. I’m sorry if you or others disagree.
Seriously ... I know what skank means. :rolleyes2 (And before you try to tell me it is used differently with urban slang, I know. It was obvious how you were using the term.)

Yes, I absolutely disagree with you calling her that. Her daughter set up the GoFund Me, she didn't. To me you are kicking someone while they are already down. I am sure if she could go back she would have done things differently. Or maybe she wouldn't have. :confused3 I really don't know, and neither do you so that is why find it unnecessary to call names. IMHO, it lacks empathy. Obviously, you disagree. Your prerogative.

But it’s not. Her choice to not get insurance is well-reported. And now she‘s begging for money. What a skank.

It’s unconscionable that she (and others like her) doesn’t have insurance and is now begging with a GoFundMe.

Dis rules prevent me from answering how I'd like to. So instead, I donated in the name of gmi3804 and wrote an extra nice caption. 🤫😏

Dis rules prevent me from answering how I'd like to. So instead, I donated in the name of gmi3804 and wrote an extra nice caption. 🤫😏
That was generous of you, I choose to summon karma instead (totally believe in it, keeps me honest). I honestly can’t imagine having such little regard for human life that I’d call people nasty names for not having health insurance.

Everyone is free to do what they want with their money. I don't think I would ever donate to a GoFundMe as I am suspicious of how the funds will actually be used. I give plenty to verified charities who assist people genuinely in need.

At a minimum, she could have gotten a catastrophic policy for just this kind of situation.
When I was looking on the marketplace last fall for 2023 coverage, there were age restrictions to get catastrophic coverage and they were very low. I don’t remember off the top of my head, but the top age was something like 30-35 years old at most. It might have even been in the twenties. I really wanted a catastrophic plan, and could not get one through the marketplace at all. I ended up with a high deductible plan, put the deductible in savings, and don’t plan to use the insurance unless I am hospitalized. The problem with this solution is that the premiums are much higher than a true catastrophic plan. Mary Lou Retton is close to my age, so she may or may not have had that option. I don’t know if there are age restrictions in the private sector.

When I was looking on the marketplace last fall for 2023 coverage, there were age restrictions to get catastrophic coverage and they were very low. I don’t remember off the top of my head, but the top age was something like 30-35 years old at most. It might have even been in the twenties. I really wanted a catastrophic plan, and could not get one through the marketplace at all. I ended up with a high deductible plan, put the deductible in savings, and don’t plan to use the insurance unless I am hospitalized. The problem with this solution is that the premiums are much higher than a true catastrophic plan. Mary Lou Retton is close to my age, so she may or may not have had that option. I don’t know if there are age restrictions in the private sector.

Ah ok. I don't know the insurance terminology that well, but I guess I think of a high deductible plan as a kind of catastrophic plan in some ways. In looking at the ACA marketplace, some of the bronze plans with higher deductibles aren't too bad. I didn't know about age restrictions on true catastrophic plans, but that make sense.

Again, I have no idea why this woman doesn't have insurance, but feel kind of badly that we all know about it now...if that makes sense. It's highlighted in every article I read because of the crowd funding campaign.

There is a fair likelihood that she's house-poor. However, I suspect the real reason is that she's essentially a gig worker now: she's a self-employed motivational speaker. She does command a pretty high fee (it starts @ $20K unless the event is for charity), but 1984 was a long time ago now, and I suspect the invitations are tapering off.

She probably does have some kind of health savings setup, unless there is some draw on her income we don't know about, and perhaps she does; she's apparently in no shape at the moment to go over her finances with her daughters. They are all in their 20s, and it's not that surprising that their first reaction on finding out that their mom has no health insurance policy was to try an online fund-raiser.

Retton is a beloved figure in American sport, and she does do a lot of charity work. I think that if she survives this and it turns out she really was able to pay for it OOP, she will probably donate the raised funds to a charity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter