Marriott is buying out Starwood - all transfers by August 2018

pooh2001

been there, done that, TRYING to go back
The Marriott corporation is taking over all Starwood owned resorts.
This means the Swan and Dolphin are now Marriott resorts.
The Marriott will transfer all SPG points onto a Marriott rewards card.
And if you have points built up on the Marriott rewards card, after August 2018,
they can be used at the Swan and Dolphin.

We have points on both and can not wait for the Swan & Dolphin to become Marriott owned.

http://news.marriott.com/2015/11/ma...de-creating-the-worlds-largest-hotel-company/

This is somewhat old news (the article you linked to is from 3 years ago) but you are correct. Marriott and SPG have been in the process of combining their rewards programs into one and that will be finalized next month.

Here is more current info:
https://members.marriott.com/spg/

I imagine Swan and Dolphin will be a high point category but that also means you'll earn Marriott points for staying there if you are paying so that's nice. We stayed there once years ago when we won a trip from the DIS Prizematron. It was nice being able to walk into Epcot.

We love the Dolphin - the food, the pool, the location, the room decor, even the transportation is fine.
Ans yes we have Marriott points :)

yes.... lots of info on this everywhere on the boards...it's climbing to a high points category too so it's a change I'm wishing wasn't going to happen. It's out of my league now points wise. ah well the deals were fun while they lasted.

The Dolphin is going to Cat-5, but the points needed don't go up that much and it honestly should have been Cat-5 all along. Cat-4 was 10k points. Now it's 12k. A bit more, but if you're a SPG points guru this shouldn't break your bank. Given how much the Boardwalk Inn and other nearby resorts have gone up, this is still a steal. August 1 is almost here and we'll finally see the impact of the Marriott merger. Our stored points will triple on 8/1, but go to the Marriott redemption schedule which is close to (but not exactly) triple. For example Cat-5 (the Dolphin) is going to 30k (off-peak) 35k (standard) 40k (peak) in 2019. So what matters more is how the peak calendars will play out at each hotel and how many days are in each category. If you travel in off-peak time, your cost (30k) will be what it was before the bump to Cat-5 and 3x conversion (10k). I have another trip locked in now (pre-tripling) because I know in 2019 the dates we're going will be peak. As a 20+ year SPG customer, I'm really hoping this merger doesn't hose what has been a rewarding program. On another note, post-merger every holder of the SPG Amex will get a yearly free night award for up to a Cat-5 room. Which would include the Dolphin. I could see using this free night, here, consistently as an arrival-day sort of thing.

The Dolphin is going to Cat-5, but the points needed don't go up that much and it honestly should have been Cat-5 all along. Cat-4 was 10k points. Now it's 12k. A bit more, but if you're a SPG points guru this shouldn't break your bank. Given how much the Boardwalk Inn and other nearby resorts have gone up, this is still a steal. August 1 is almost here and we'll finally see the impact of the Marriott merger. Our stored points will triple on 8/1, but go to the Marriott redemption schedule which is close to (but not exactly) triple. For example Cat-5 (the Dolphin) is going to 30k (off-peak) 35k (standard) 40k (peak) in 2019. So what matters more is how the peak calendars will play out at each hotel and how many days are in each category. If you travel in off-peak time, your cost (30k) will be what it was before the bump to Cat-5 and 3x conversion (10k). I have another trip locked in now (pre-tripling) because I know in 2019 the dates we're going will be peak. As a 20+ year SPG customer, I'm really hoping this merger doesn't hose what has been a rewarding program. On another note, post-merger every holder of the SPG Amex will get a yearly free night award for up to a Cat-5 room. Which would include the Dolphin. I could see using this free night, here, consistently as an arrival-day sort of thing.
interesting..... though everything I'm reading elsewhere has the Dolphin changed from what is now an effective 30-35k Marriott points per night to a 50k per night redemption... which is a hike (unless I'm reading this wrong) it's a jump in points to book

So with the recently upgraded Marriott Credit Card, the one free night per year has gone up to a 35,000 point hotel. My free night expires in December, so it’s possible I could use the free night at the Dolphin after the switch in August? I currently have it booked for a lower point hotel in September but can easily change that.

pretty sure swolphin is jumping to a 50-60k per night category(6) after August 17... not 35k

I hope it still have the teacher and nursing discounts ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter