• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2025

@Herding_Cats Would you consider doing just the 5, 10 and Half? Taking the marathon out of the equation means you could have a much more enjoyable weekend spending time with family and leaves time for the parks if you choose. I did just those three in 2023 and it was a great balance of running and vacation. Just a thought...
I have considered it, but my crazy brain just keeps coming back to, 'if I'm going to marathon weekend, i should do the marathon.' Otherwise I should be planning for PW when there is no marathon and fewer days are needed. Plus, for me, training for the full isn't really that much more than the half. And just getting off the phone with DH, he wants to do maybe one park day and just chill the rest of the time, and I can run whatever I want.

(And he said that doing a marathon at some point does sound cool, but he doesn't think he can do the training commitment this year. OMG PEOPLE! He has gone from 'running is stupid' to 'I'll try the half' (last MW) to 'at some point I'll do a full.')

I'm hoping to get a place in the marathon tomorrow for my first MW. I am adequately prepared with 3 laptops (6/7 different browsers) one iPad and one phone 😂 Hopefully this will be enough!
Good luck. It sounds like you're fully prepared. I don't think that you should have any trouble.

I'm aiming for the HM tomorrow. 🙏

I was planning on "just the marathon" for a long time, but I really want to hit an agressive-for-me PR (sub-4), and between the potential for heat/humidity, and the entertainment I'd be missing out on, Disney seems like a silly place to do that. Plus, I'd have a week of family vacation afterwards, and don't want to be totally wiped out.

So I decided to race the Dallas Marathon in December, and then fun run (or walk, or limp) the Disney HM 4 weeks later. Assuming I can get in. If not, my family will be there anyway, so I'll just cheer y'all on!

Well, looks like I'm out for another Marathon Weekend. My kids will both be in basketball come January, and they'll both have games that weekend. So, we decided to do a trip in September instead.

And my DH told me no to a solo trip just to run the marathon. :mad: :rotfl2:I didn't actually think I'd be able to swing it anyway with the additional time away / cost / etc.

This will be my first Disney trip without a race since 2016!

Good luck to everyone with registration tomorrow!!

My goal for the marathon is to run as fast as I can between picture stops and try to time it so that I reach AK when the park opens in order to maximize my chances at riding Everest. Nonetheless, my focus (and the reason that I posed the question in the first place) is not having a repeat of my Goofy Challenge experience in 2023. I had a wonderful half marathon with my daughter using run-walk at her pace, so it wasn't very fast. Nonetheless, I woke up the next morning with a sore ankle and I hoped that it wouldn't bother me too much during the marathon. By Mile 15/16, I couldn't run more than a few feet without feeling terrible pain on the bottom of my foot. It was so bad that I was afraid that I might have a fracture, yet I could still walk with minimal discomfort. Hence, I walked the remainder of the race (except for a few feet whenever I saw a Photopass photographer).

After a lot of soul and sole searching, I believe that the foot pain was caused by not being properly trained for the Challenge. I might have been fine for the HM or even the full marathon, but not the combined two day event. For my last HM, I used the Hanson's method and I believe that the cumulative fatigue prepared my feet and legs to withstand the miles. This was the impetus for my question in the first place. How fast can I go in the HM without risking a repeat of my Goofy Challenge experience.

At this point, my plan is to run the 5K and the 10K at my easy pace and the HM at my Long Run pace. I looked over my training logs and I did a 12 mile Long Run while we were at Universal Orlando in December and then walked an additional ten miles at the parks that day. I distinctly remember not having any discomfort at all that day or the following day. I believe that it's all about the proper pacing and having your body prepared for the miles.

I appreciate your thoughts regarding this plan of attack. Do you think that I could race the 5K and/or 10K without risking putting too much stress on my feet? I am frankly feeling a tremendous amount of anxiety (nine months out!) about a repeat of my Goofy Challenge debacle. So, I have the angel on one shoulder telling me to focus on the marathon experience and play it safe while the devil is saying to go for it and minimize my wait times for pictures by running faster than easy pace.

If you train well for the marathon, then the other three races have an effect, but fairly minimal in the big picture. From my own experience/data from my five Dopey attempts, and some data from Jack Daniels, I've gathered the following:

*All of this is said in the absence of an injury. An injury can occur running super slow relatively, and can occur when trying to PR all four. Sometimes it's just bad luck, and sometimes it's something within your control. So being well trained and super conservative does not mean the chance of injury is zero, but that it can be lower than a more aggressive approach. It's about risk management.
*All of this is also said assuming you are well trained for a marathon.
-An all-out 5k has minimal influence on 10k performance. You can recover pretty quick from the 5k. After a day's theme park experience of walking around, you'll pretty much be good to go 24hrs later. In some cases you may even perform better in the 10k after having done the 5k at PR level the day prior. This has to do with your bodies muscle fiber composition and whether your fibers perform better when they're loose or tight. You can learn this about yourself in training by seeing the quality of back to back days, or doing strides the day before a hard workout.
-An all-out 5k and 10k has about a 1-4% effect on HM performance. The 10k at PR effort will begin to influence your capabilities for the HM the next day.
-An all-out 5k, 10k, and HM has about a 7-10% effect on M performance. Even a relatively slow HM the day prior to the M will have a non-zero effect.

I think a combination of 5k PR, 10k PR, HM easy, and M attempt is only slightly harder than 5k easy, 10k easy, HM easy, and M attempt. The first is like having two hard workouts, an easy recovery run (albeit a longer one than normal), and than a long training run. The second is like a normal training week but potentially lower volume (other than the M). I don't see either of them too far outside the norm of a tough training week in the midst of marathon training.

One thing you can do in training to simulate character stops is broken Tempo runs. Try running at pace, and taking short 30-60 sec (or whatever the normal length of time for your character stops is) in your training runs. See how that compares to a steady state tempo run. Some may find it easier, and others may find it more difficult. At that point, you're in a way doing run/walk, or just a standard interval training run.

Asking a question for a co-worker. She wants to try to sign up for the 5k and also her son (8 year old) for the 5k. Is her best strategy to sign herself up first and then go sign her son up, or can she do both at the same time? I have only ever registered myself, so not sure how that works.

I'm hoping to get a place in the marathon tomorrow for my first MW. I am adequately prepared with 3 laptops (6/7 different browsers) one iPad and one phone 😂 Hopefully this will be enough!
Haha, I can relate. I usually have my laptop on my docking station with two separate screens set up. One on screen is my normal desktop with a browser open with multiple tabs. The other screen is a virtual desktop with a browser open and multiple tabs, plus my iPhone, plus my iPad.

If you train well for the marathon, then the other three races have an effect, but fairly minimal in the big picture. From my own experience/data from my five Dopey attempts, and some data from Jack Daniels, I've gathered the following:

*All of this is said in the absence of an injury. An injury can occur running super slow relatively, and can occur when trying to PR all four. Sometimes it's just bad luck, and sometimes it's something within your control. So being well trained and super conservative does not mean the chance of injury is zero, but that it can be lower than a more aggressive approach. It's about risk management.
*All of this is also said assuming you are well trained for a marathon.
-An all-out 5k has minimal influence on 10k performance. You can recover pretty quick from the 5k. After a day's theme park experience of walking around, you'll pretty much be good to go 24hrs later. In some cases you may even perform better in the 10k after having done the 5k at PR level the day prior. This has to do with your bodies muscle fiber composition and whether your fibers perform better when they're loose or tight. You can learn this about yourself in training by seeing the quality of back to back days, or doing strides the day before a hard workout.
-An all-out 5k and 10k has about a 1-4% effect on HM performance. The 10k at PR effort will begin to influence your capabilities for the HM the next day.
-An all-out 5k, 10k, and HM has about a 7-10% effect on M performance. Even a relatively slow HM the day prior to the M will have a non-zero effect.

I think a combination of 5k PR, 10k PR, HM easy, and M attempt is only slightly harder than 5k easy, 10k easy, HM easy, and M attempt. The first is like having two hard workouts, an easy recovery run (albeit a longer one than normal), and than a long training run. The second is like a normal training week but potentially lower volume (other than the M). I don't see either of them too far outside the norm of a tough training week in the midst of marathon training.

One thing you can do in training to simulate character stops is broken Tempo runs. Try running at pace, and taking short 30-60 sec (or whatever the normal length of time for your character stops is) in your training runs. See how that compares to a steady state tempo run. Some may find it easier, and others may find it more difficult. At that point, you're in a way doing run/walk, or just a standard interval training run.
If I understand your recommendation correctly, you think that it would be unwise to run the HM at Long Run pace? Using the Hanson's methodology, my Long Run pace is approximately 45 seconds slower than my race pace.

I've run at Marathon Weekend every year it has been held since 2018, other than 2019. But I think, regretfully, I am going to miss 2025. But I hope to return in 2026 for my sixth Dopey! I'll keep following and participating in this thread, though.

We have some other vacations that are taking funds from our Marathon Weekend budget, plus the timing of some of those aren't great with regards to training and traveling. We live in PA and it would be a little too much back and forth to Florida to make it work.

I've done five marathons -- all at Disney World -- is this the year I try my first elsewhere? Or do I lay off the marathons until Dopey 2026?
If you’re close to Philadelphia, or willing to travel, I can’t say enough good things about the Philadelphia Marathon! I think we had a SAFD on our favorite non Disney races and I mentioned this one. It’s a very close second on my favorite weekend of the year (with Marathon Weekend first) and they have plenty of challenges between the races if you still want a challenge medal!

I'm aiming for the HM tomorrow. 🙏

I was planning on "just the marathon" for a long time, but I really want to hit an agressive-for-me PR (sub-4), and between the potential for heat/humidity, and the entertainment I'd be missing out on, Disney seems like a silly place to do that. Plus, I'd have a week of family vacation afterwards, and don't want to be totally wiped out.

So I decided to race the Dallas Marathon in December, and then fun run (or walk, or limp) the Disney HM 4 weeks later. Assuming I can get in. If not, my family will be there anyway, so I'll just cheer y'all on!
Dallas is such a fun one! I've run it 3 times.

Asking a question for a co-worker. She wants to try to sign up for the 5k and also her son (8 year old) for the 5k. Is her best strategy to sign herself up first and then go sign her son up, or can she do both at the same time? I have only ever registered myself, so not sure how that works.
Normally I have to register for Dopey and register my DD for anything from the 5k to 5k, 10k and half. There are differing opinions on this, and I would say that it really boils down to how quickly you go from the queue to registering. If really early then I think it is safe to do all at once. But remember being in the system and actively registering promises you nothing. So if you get in but take too long registering you may end up with nothing. My advice is to prioritize, book the most important and then try booking the other items on a secondary link. Does require to have multiple browsers going but has worked out pretty good for me in the past. A couple years back I was able to get my Dopey and DD’s half on one and then her 10k and the whole family’s 5ks on another. Last year did not work as well and ended up with only my Dopey and her half as spots filled in the 5k as I was still filling out the registration the second time. Good luck!!

If I understand your recommendation correctly, you think that it would be unwise to run the HM at Long Run pace? Using the Hanson's methodology, my Long Run pace is approximately 45 seconds slower than my race pace.

Not unwise. Someone who is fully trained for a marathon is fully capable of running 13.1 miles at Hanson's LR pace the day before a M attempt. But I wouldn't assume you'd be at 100% capability on marathon morning. It'll certainly make the marathon harder. But can you do it without significant injury risk? Yes.

you’re close to Philadelphia, or willing to travel, I can’t say enough good things about the Philadelphia Marathon!

I'm in the Philly area too and have been curious about doing this. I think my biggest mental hangup to registering is the variability in the weather in November. As I recall 2022 was unseasonably cold in the 20s, and 2023 was unseasonably warm in the 70s, neither of which sound ideal for running 26.2 (although given the choice I would absolutely take 70s). Is my recollection correct?

How many times have you done Philly? Do you find the weather to be an issue?

As an aside, do you run Broad Street? (Cinco de Mayo this year!)

Normally I have to register for Dopey and register my DD for anything from the 5k to 5k, 10k and half. There are differing opinions on this, and I would say that it really boils down to how quickly you go from the queue to registering. If really early then I think it is safe to do all at once. But remember being in the system and actively registering promises you nothing. So if you get in but take too long registering you may end up with nothing. My advice is to prioritize, book the most important and then try booking the other items on a secondary link. Does require to have multiple browsers going but has worked out pretty good for me in the past. A couple years back I was able to get my Dopey and DD’s half on one and then her 10k and the whole family’s 5ks on another. Last year did not work as well and ended up with only my Dopey and her half as spots filled in the 5k as I was still filling out the registration the second time. Good luck!!
Are you not able to register both people at one time? So each registration has to be completed separately?

Not unwise. Someone who is fully trained for a marathon is fully capable of running 13.1 miles at Hanson's LR pace the day before a M attempt. But I wouldn't assume you'd be at 100% capability on marathon morning. It'll certainly make the marathon harder. But can you do it without significant injury risk? Yes.
Thank you. This is GREAT to know. Truth be told, I would even be fine during the marathon if I had to slow down to my easy pace. As long as I don't need to walk. This is not a knock against run-walk, but I hated the feeling of wanting to run and not being able to do so.

I'm in the Philly area too and have been curious about doing this. I think my biggest mental hangup to registering is the variability in the weather in November. As I recall 2022 was unseasonably cold in the 20s, and 2023 was unseasonably warm in the 70s, neither of which sound ideal for running 26.2 (although given the choice I would absolutely take 70s). Is my recollection correct?

How many times have you done Philly? Do you find the weather to be an issue?

As an aside, do you run Broad Street? (Cinco de Mayo this year!)
I’ve gotten VERY lucky with weather every year I’ve run. I ran the 8k in 2019, the full in 2021, and the patriot challenge (half + 8k) in 2022 and 2023. I’ve had great weather each year. 2022 was cold but we didn’t have the wind on Saturday that the full marathoners had on Sunday. I believe in 2021 when I ran the full on Sunday, the half marathoners ran through rain on Saturday. I’m not sure what the temp was for the full this past November, but we had highs in the 50s for the half on Saturday and I thought it was perfect! It’s my PR race. In 2022 when it was very cold (high 20s pre race), they brought out extra warming tents and heaters and with my donation layers, it wasn’t that bad. I would definitely recommend doing it! I haven’t decided what I’m running this year but I’ll be doing something for sure!

I have run Broad, but I’m running the relay at Pittsburgh instead this year which is the same day.

I'm also unsure about tomorrow. At one point, I was planning for Goofy but I don't really want to 😆. My mom plans to run the half and I'd like to cheer for her. I don't need more shirts, medals, merch, or things in general. Plus the half course isn't my fav. Yes, it has Main Street and that's amazing but so does the marathon.

Then my plan was the marathon. I love that race and getting to run through all four parks before some folks have eaten breakfast. The ultimate park hopping!

All off my plans went into a tailspin on Friday when I was notified that I had won an entry into the Paris 2024 Olympics Marathon Pour Tous. This is simply an opportunity that I can not miss!! We've been frantically updating our travel plans to accommodate and DH has told me I'm not allowed any more marathon vacations for a while.

However, Disney is still on the table because he likes escaping the cold in January... So now I need to decide if I really want to train for a marathon twice in a row. I really wish I could wait to decide but that's not how this works.

I'll probably register because we'll be in Florida regardless and I know it'd be disappointing to be there and not running. Just hope that I don't regret this decision in 6-9 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter