Marathon Weekend 2025

As I read these posts, I'm noticing all of the Adult Onset Running victims runners and laughing and nodding because it hits so close to home. In particular the recurring theme of "and I never imagined running a half/full and now I've don't xx of them".

The DW gave me a medal hangar for Christmas a couple of years ago and much to my surprise, as of this month's Goofy.... it is full.
I so did not see that happening. Not in 2009 when I did my first half, and not a few years ago when I resumed running. Totally unexpected.
And that is with the 2022 Dopey Instant Medal Collection getting its own board.....

So for anyone ordering a medal hanger, order a size larger than you think. You have been warned advised.
And for everyone else with AOR, welcome to the affliction.
I like buying different designs. I have two spots left on my Disney one, which will get filled from Princess, and then I need another one.

As I read these posts, I'm noticing all of the Adult Onset Running victims runners and laughing and nodding because it hits so close to home. In particular the recurring theme of "and I never imagined running a half/full and now I've don't xx of them".

The DW gave me a medal hangar for Christmas a couple of years ago and much to my surprise, as of this month's Goofy.... it is full.
I so did not see that happening. Not in 2009 when I did my first half, and not a few years ago when I resumed running. Totally unexpected.
And that is with the 2022 Dopey Instant Medal Collection getting its own board.....

So for anyone ordering a medal hanger, order a size larger than you think. You have been warned advised.
And for everyone else with AOR, welcome to the affliction.
I'm definitely AOR and can relate to never thinking I'd have a full medal rack! Now, I rotate my medals out to the year I am in rather than leaving them all on the display holder. I have found that I can easily see those and relive the memories/weekend which makes them even more special. I also am seeing the progression in my distances with the first display having mostly 5ks and the current display having challenges and marathons!

rD was the gateway to running that gave me the courage to complete the Chicago Marathon and now I'm considering going after the 6 star 😳 That, my friends, is mind blowing since I don't even really like running 😂 It's just the one sport where I can constantly work to improve and I haven't mastered it at all.It keeps me focused on my health and that's what is most important to me.

Good morning, RunDisney All-Stars!

For reasons that aren’t abundantly clear to me, I found myself wondering this morning if SAFD was still a thing here. It warms my cold heart to see this silly little activity I imposed upon my girls on car rides years ago is still alive in this corner of the Internet.

My runDisney/Disboards “retirement” is still largely intact … though my popping up here tells me there may be cracks in the wall. I’m taking my kids and step kids (as of Sept 2023) to WDW over spring break. I’ll be heading down Main Street USA for the first time in 2+ years (on a Sunday, naturally). But for the most part, I’m happy to be focusing on other races and destinations.

My runDisney career is relatively brief compared to many around here, but I have many fond memories of Rogue Two, the Goof Troop Roving Road Party, and DATW (those memories are equally fuzzy and fond). 2027 is the anniversary of my first Disney full and I’m weighing a return to Dopey that year to put a nice bookend on my rD career.

Until then, it’s nice knowing SAFD is still around. Big Goof Troop shout out to @Baloo in MI and @camaker for keeping it going.

Take care, gang.

For reasons that aren’t abundantly clear to me, I found myself wondering this morning if SAFD was still a thing here. It warms my cold heart to see this silly little activity I imposed upon my girls on car rides years ago is still alive in this corner of the Internet.

My runDisney/Disboards “retirement” is still largely intact … though my popping up here tells me there may be cracks in the wall.
So you're saying there's still a chance...
🤣

Rogue Two is one of my favorite memories too! Not sure we'll ever be able to top that one. Miss you, pal.

SAFD: I’m just now catching up with this thread, and many of you already know DH’s and my story. He has been running since basic training, and I met him shortly after that in college where he ran and I biked beside him! We married, had two boys, took my first trip to WDW to take the boys with extended family. Meanwhile DH was looking at Runners World, chose Disney’s first marathon to be his first marathon, mailed in his paper registration, and we started a new tradition. He has run all but three Disney marathons, including 5 Dopeys and all 19 Goofys. He also got into trail running and has done many ultras (including the Georgia Death Race, 74ish miles). The boys and I vacationed and spectated.
Fast forward 34 years of marriage and grown children, and I was in my final year of teaching high school English and needed a new hobby. I started with C25k, then DH trained me up to Lake Hartwell Dam run 10k and the Tower of Terror 10 Miler in 2013. I started MW with the half in 2014, the 10k and half in 2015, 5k and full in 2016, Dopey in 2017-18, “just” Goofy 2019-24 and numerous W&D, Star Wars, a DDD, a Super-heroes race and various other road and trail races thrown in. MW is still our favorite.
AOR for me, a lifetime of running for DH!

This is more related to MW 2024, but I just wanted to share because it made me happy on this dreary, snowy day. On 10K day, I went to Epcot in the afternoon so I bought Genie+, but I ended up feeling so sick (skipped the HH meet up) that I left the park early without even using my Genie. I emailed Guest Services when I got home just to see if they might refund it and today I got a message that they are going to! It's not much in the grand scheme of things, but it's nice to have that little bit of cash back.

My runDisney/Disboards “retirement” is still largely intact … though my popping up here tells me there may be cracks in the wall. I’m taking my kids and step kids (as of Sept 2023) to WDW over spring break. I’ll be heading down Main Street USA for the first time in 2+ years (on a Sunday, naturally). But for the most part, I’m happy to be focusing on other races and destinations.

My runDisney career is relatively brief compared to many around here, but I have many fond memories of Rogue Two, the Goof Troop Roving Road Party, and DATW (those memories are equally fuzzy and fond). 2027 is the anniversary of my first Disney full and I’m weighing a return to Dopey that year to put a nice bookend on my rD career.

Until then, it’s nice knowing SAFD is still around. Big Goof Troop shout out to @Baloo in MI and @camaker for keeping it going.

Take care, gang.
Great to see you here! So if 2027 is a potential return for Dopey, then maybe a practice year and warm up year in 2025 & 2026 are in order… It goes without saying your presence on the boards is greatly missed! Hope all is well for you.

runDisney origin story:
As a child in school I was never registered for a sport and I was always last in the Presidential Mile Fitness Test. I married into a running family. Lucky for me, my husband quit running a year into our relationship. 🤣 After 2 kids, I decided in 2018 to do Couch to 5k and realized I enjoyed running. I found out about runDisney, but said I would only ever run a half marathon in Disneyland, not WDW (because I wanted the benefit of the time change to make it not feel as early in the morning.) As we all know, there were no more Dland races, so I thought I would never have to run so far. During the pandemic I decided even without being in Dland, I wanted to see if I could run a half marathon so I trained and ran a virtual race. Turns out I could run that far. Then when I heard Dland HM Weekend would be back, I just had to sign up, and my husband, having gotten back into running himself, registered for the 10k. We had a good time last weekend and since my husband ran thru DLR & DCA, he now feels like he needs to run thru all 6 domestic parks. I felt like I was one and done with runDisney and now he's saying he wants to run the marathon. Well, I can't let him do something so epic without me, so here I am, planning on registering for the marathon.
When I was training for the half marathon I thought no way would I ever go for the full.....so god help me.
I had a few niggles during the 16 week half training plan, and I was definitely ready to race and then take a break after that so I hope I don't get injured or burnt out trying to double the distance.

Soo genuine question because I can’t remember the board rules but are we allowed to share fundraising links. One of the balloon ladies kids is in the ICU and they started a GFM for his medical bills if we can’t donate passing the link around might help?

Hi fellow runners!
I’m new to runDisney, and hoping to run the 2025 marathon.

I’ll answer the SAFD as a brief intro! 😊

I went to MK a time or 2 as a kid, and always loved Disney movies. That said, our first family trip was what hooked me! Our 3 boys were 5, 2.5, and 11mo - it was magical! We made several trips through the years, and have such wonderful memories.

I didn’t love running until after I had (4) kids. It became a time to collect my thoughts and unwind. In 2013, I ran my first half… and second, and third. Not sure when I heard about WDW marathon but it became my goal race. Unfortunately, I injured myself in a local race and was unable to run for awhile. After recovery, other minor injuries, kids schedules etc have kept me from distance runs. In 2023, I completed a half the first time in 10 years!
As fate would have it, our family Disney vacation this year (with grown kids, our last teen and a grandbaby!) coincided with MW. And I remembered how I had dreamed of running at Disney one day. So…here I am planning to make it happen!

SAFD: I think I mentioned this before, but my DW and I are both big Disney fans. My first trip was in 1991-92 as a teenager. Fast forward 23 years, and I took my DW and her 3 kids from her last marriage for a Christmas 2014-15 trip. It was on that trip, where we heard a couple of people talking about MW and my DW's ears perked up. She was a bit into running, but we had never heard of runDisney at all until then. So after the trip, we got home, and looked up the info. The first MW trip was in 2018, and it's been pretty much an annual thing since then!

Soo genuine question because I can’t remember the board rules but are we allowed to share fundraising links. One of the balloon ladies kids is in the ICU and they started a GFM for his medical bills if we can’t donate passing the link around might help?

Technically, no, not without approval. The guideline reads:

Solicitation of any kind is not permitted on DISboards without approval. This includes requests for donations, school/sports fundraisers, “vote for me” posts, requests to support online contests, sweepstakes, links to online auctions, or any similar situation that involves personal gain beyond the scope of DISboards.

From time to time our members ask to post information about a fundraiser or other support event for charity. If you are participating in or wish to promote a charitable event, please email Corey at corey@disneyinfo.com for permission first. We only allow posts that are in support of registered non-profit organizations and donations must be made directly to the organization in question. No requests for cash, money orders, checks or items to an individual or personal address will be permitted. All such requests must be approved by Corey PRIOR to being posted.

Source:
https://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm

So if you want to be straight with the ‘rules’ I’d email Corey, or post your link and also email. I can’t speak for him but your type of request is generally fine from what I’ve seen in the past and would be fine with me (although note, I’m not a moderator on this board so just giving my opinion there). It’s more the personal solicitation/direct asking for money for personal gain outside of a real charitable organization that is the true intent of the rule - they don’t really want the boards used for that kind of thing - we’d end up looking like Nextdoor. :-)

All of that said, this is a friendly unmoderated little corner of the DIS and unless someone habitually abuses the rules in a disruptive manner and attracts the attention of the PTB, I don’t think you’d be ruffling any feathers with that kind of post.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Good morning RunDisney All-Stars! Welcome to this week's edition of Sundays are for Disney (SAFD). Last week we focused on what brought us to RunDisney, so let's go a little more Disney-focused this week. A lot of us have spent time this month parading around the parks and property in DL and WDW and many, I'm sure will be doing the same next mont at Princess, so let's talk parades! What is your favorite current Disney parade? Is there an old parade that you'd like to see brought back?

SAFD:
In the lineup of current parades, it's hard to beat the Festival of Fantasy with its steampunk, fire-breathing dragon and swinging Tangled float, yet there's one that does, in my book. My choice is the Boo to You parade from MNSSHP. I love everything it offers from the Headless Horseman leading it off, the ghostly ballroom dancers, the grave diggers throwing sparks off the pavement with their shovels, to the characters all dressed up in their Halloween finery. Absolutely magical.

The parade I'd love to see brought back is the Paint the Night parade. I loved that parade, even if I only got to see it twice! It felt like an evolutionary upgrade to the Main Street Electrical Parade, which I expect to show up on a number of folks' lists, too.

SAFD: I only know the afternoon parade and the electrical parade. I have good memories of both so I am sad one doesn’t exist. There is one song that I recall from my kids first afternoon parade: Celebrate you by Corbin Blue. It always makes me happy and confident when I hear it. Playlist suggestion for runDisney?

SAFD: Another vote for Boo to You, by far my favorite. Every bit of it, even the music. Especially enjoy the gravediggers with the sparking shovels. If I had to choose a regular (not special event) it would be Festival of Fantasy, as far as one I’d like to see again I can’t remember the name and think it was very short and very short lived (maybe not even considered a parade) but I remember Princess Tiana and Louis playing his trumpet. Loved seeing that coming off the riverboat in liberty square. Always thought Tom Sawyers Island would be a much better bayou than Splash Mountian.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter