Marathon Weekend 2024

Someone said that the Epcot isn't the best place to be for race weekends, because the bus route from them to the start line is a bit convoluted. I think it's because buses generally don't go from BC/YC/BWI to the front of Epcot, and a lot of that is also right around the courses.
It’s actually super convenient especially if you drive yourself and it’s not convoluted at all. The bus drivers contracted for the races aren’t always from FL. The two bus drivers I had for Springtime Surprise were both contractors from Baltimore. This is a big reason why a lot end up getting lost. They don’t know the area!

SAFD: We have a reservation for Ft Wilderness in a Premium site. We aren’t brave enough to try and squeeze into the smaller sites yet. Premium gives us more room to back in crooked 😂

It’s actually super convenient especially if you drive yourself and it’s not convoluted at all. The bus drivers contracted for the races aren’t always from FL. The two bus drivers I had for Springtime Surprise were both contractors from Baltimore. This is a big reason why a lot end up getting lost. They don’t know the area!

I've had those issues from MW, myself. The bus makes some weird turn, and everyone in the bus is like "where are we going?" When looking for a rental car for MW2021, I noticed the prices tanked a couple of months out, so I grabbed one. Since then, I've decided I will have a rental every MW trip. Ain't no one getting me lost, but me (and I do that quite well, thank you very much!)

@Bree is this your first time staying at ft wilderness for a race weekend? I know you typically stay swolphin. Regardless tip from a Ft Wilderness race weekend stayer. If you don’t drive to the start, drive to the front of Ft Wilderness and then take the bus to the race. i recommend not taking the internal bus. It is running but coming back it is much easier if you drive to the front.

@Bree is this your first time staying at ft wilderness for a race weekend? I know you typically stay swolphin. Regardless tip from a Ft Wilderness race weekend stayer. If you don’t drive to the start, drive to the front of Ft Wilderness and then take the bus to the race. i recommend not taking the internal bus. It is running but coming back it is much easier if you drive to the front.

It will be my second race weekend there! We were there for Springtime Surprise and it was awesome. It is so relaxing there. I napped outside in my lounger after the 10K 😂 I don’t usually take the race bus, but I did for that weekend so my husband could have the truck. I drove the golf cart to the front and hopped on the bus.

Off topic, but we are checking in to the Fort tomorrow for a staycation 😃 We are going to Hoop Dee Doo for the first time and I’m so excited.

I learened about DVC rentals not longer after I learned about MW, so I've been hopping around the DVC resorts: BLT, GF, BRV, now AKV for this upcoming trip.

I also saw that flying in the end of the day Tuesday was cheaper then getting the first flight out Wednesday, so I decided to do that, and just find some place to crash that night, and wake up on Expo Day already in Orlando, and ready to go!
This is me as well! I'm not doing MW next year, but if I was, I would hop to another DVC.

Since discovering renting, I have stayed at OKW, AKL, BLT, Poly, BWV, and VGF (OKW was not a race weekend). I'd like to try one of the Epcot resorts for my next race weekend (thinking the kids would love Beach Club) and also somewhere at Wilderness.

I've had those issues from MW, myself. The bus makes some weird turn, and everyone in the bus is like "where are we going?" When looking for a rental car for MW2021, I noticed the prices tanked a couple of months out, so I grabbed one. Since then, I've decided I will have a rental every MW trip. Ain't no one getting me lost, but me (and I do that quite well, thank you very much!)
Having a rental car for MW is so nice. You can sleep in a little longer and then when you get to Epcot, you can relax in your car for a little bit before heading to the corral. Then using the rental car to go to the parks. I used to be a bus only guy. Then one trip I used the rental car to go to the parks. From that point on, we now only drive to the parks.

Having a rental car for MW is so nice. You can sleep in a little longer and then when you get to Epcot, you can relax in your car for a little bit before heading to the corral. Then using the rental car to go to the parks. I used to be a bus only guy. Then one trip I used the rental car to go to the parks. From that point on, we now only drive to the parks.
The walk to the car after the race is rough, though. :D

It's a nice cool down walk. :) For the 5k and 10k, I usually don't hang around after finishing. My goal is to get back to the hotel, shower, and back to bed as soon as possible. So it's nice not having to wait for the buss to leave and drop off. After the half and full, yea the walk can be a little brutal. LOL.

For Springtime Surprise, they allowed us to go down the first walkway to the left side of the parking lot, which helped A LOT. In the past, everyone had to go to the center aisle, which often had me backtracking to my car. I don't know if this was a one-time thing, but it was appreciated.

Personally, post-race I would rather keep moving, walking to my car than be standing still, waiting in line for a bus.

I am firmly in the team rental car always and forever crew. I always stay at Universal for runDisney weekends so I need to have a car, but even if I didn't, I would still get one. Having control over my own transportation is key for me as I've had too many issues with Disney transportation in the past. I just leave myself plenty of extra time.

They usually always make me park at the very far end of the parking lot. It is nice to keep all my stuff in the car, though. :)

This is me as well! I'm not doing MW next year, but if I was, I would hop to another DVC.

Since discovering renting, I have stayed at OKW, AKL, BLT, Poly, BWV, and VGF (OKW was not a race weekend). I'd like to try one of the Epcot resorts for my next race weekend (thinking the kids would love Beach Club) and also somewhere at Wilderness.

When I was at OKW, I was still using the buses, and that was a fairly miserable experience at the original DVC resort. Though I might be willing to give them or SSR a chance after renting a car.

Has anyone had experience with being dropped off via car by a family member? Do they have a drop-off area? Did you find it less stressful than the buses?

Has anyone had experience with being dropped off via car by a family member? Do they have a drop-off area? Did you find it less stressful than the buses?
Drop off would be the same as getting dropped off in an Uber so its near the buses and you still do the same walk and security and everything like that. The drop off area is actually being redone right now too but unclear when it will be finished.

Perhaps something else to think about, for a couple of race weekends I was actually dropped off at a convenient Disney hotel to catch the bus (the Riviera the first time, and the Swan Reserve the second). YMMV, but I was happy with how it worked out, in terms of being low stress.

Perhaps something else to think about, for a couple of race weekends I was actually dropped off at a convenient Disney hotel to catch the bus (the Riviera the first time, and the Swan Reserve the second). YMMV, but I was happy with how it worked out, in terms of being low stress.

Mmmm, that is definitely something to consider. We are staying at the Yacht club for MW and from what I have seen on the boards, the EPCOT resort area buses seem to be the ones people have the most issues with so that could be a good alternative. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter