Marathon Weekend 2023

Speaking of blue Powerade…..what color was on-course for w&d?

Despite Carissa repeatedly saying, “These are extremely humid conditions. As a dietician, I recommend that everyone drink lots of electrolyte beverages,“ they actually only had water during the 10k. For the half I’m pretty sure it was blue, but I brought my own so I didn’t drink any Powerade from the stations.

Despite Carissa repeatedly saying, “These are extremely humid conditions. As a dietician, I recommend that everyone drink lots of electrolyte beverages,“ they actually only had water during the 10k. For the half I’m pretty sure it was blue, but I brought my own so I didn’t drink any Powerade from the stations.
The 10k aid stations are typically all water, with the exception of one station with both Powerade and water around 2/3 of the way through. Have they changed that?

I have a friend who had volunteered for each marathon weekend for years—she actually gave me my first dopey medal. Apparently this year has been totally incompetent in communicating with volunteers or incentivizing them to participate. You use to get one park ticket for each day you volunteered, which they stopped offering this year. I guess it turns out that not many people want to wake up at 1 am to hand out blue Powerade for 8 hours.
Unless things are TRULY dire I assume they would just have understaffed stations rather than cut them altogether. But I have no idea how short on volunteers they are, or if they’re normally still recruiting at this point.

I've also seen responses to those posts on social saying people signed up months ago to volunteer and were never contacted. That could have been due to the hand-off of volunteers from rD to TS, in which case I wouldn't be surprised if rD just didn't convey the list of interested or committed volunteers. So there WERE people willing out there who just never got assigned.

I have a friend who is local and has volunteered for years. They used to fill up immediately -- it was almost like registering for a race. But this year they have been recruiting right up until the races for most weekends. Likely because of the removal of the ticket benefit.

I’m not worrying about it just yet. That chance of rain is basically a coin toss and unless there is lightning, they won‘t cancel. I‘m bringing a poncho in case it rains in the corrals then if it rains on course, no big deal. I love a rain run especially if it’s that warm.
They'll do everything they can to hold the race. They've delayed starts before and the 5k has, by far, the most room for adjusting the time of any of the races. As long as it's not a sustained front with lightning for hours like the 2017 half, there shouldn't be an issue.

I was at the Spring Surprise 5K with a similar forecast. They delayed the start of the race once everyone was already in the corrals, and finally shortened the course and removed the scavenger hunt portion due to incoming weather. So yes, they will attempt to hold the race as much as possible, even if it means making major adjustments.

OMG, I can't stand her....Bring back Rudy and toss her.

I've also seen responses to those posts on social saying people signed up months ago to volunteer and were never contacted. That could have been due to the hand-off of volunteers from rD to TS, in which case I wouldn't be surprised if rD just didn't convey the list of interested or committed volunteers. So there WERE people willing out there who just never got assigned.

I have a friend who is local and has volunteered for years. They used to fill up immediately -- it was almost like registering for a race. But this year they have been recruiting right up until the races for most weekends. Likely because of the removal of the ticket benefit.
There was no volunteer list handoff from Disney to Track Shack. Track Shack created the volunteer website that I posted. I requested to volunteer W&D, MW & Princess. I was not selected for W&D or MW even though there is a shortage. Obviously I would have to turn them down for what they need since I am running, but there’s been zero reaching out on Track Shack’s end to those of us waitlisted or not selected. It’s a huge fail on their part. This falls partly on Track Shack and partly on Disney for the reduced day tickets. Water stops are the hardest jobs. For the marathon the shifts are 7+ hours long standing on concrete and pavement the whole time. I know how I feel after standing in line for an hour at the parks!!! I appreciate the dedication those water stop volunteers have for us. It’s not easy and they deserve more than a crappy snack box and a partial day ticket. RunDisney can do better. Yes, all Disney provides them for a full day of work is the snack box and a bottle of Dasani water. You have to pack your own food.

The 10k aid stations are typically all water, with the exception of one station with both Powerade and water around 2/3 of the way through. Have they changed that?

According to the 10k map for this Friday, it is only water stations right before mile 2, at the halfway point, and right before mile 5. The half and full maps list them as “Water/Powerade Stops.”

Water stops are the hardest jobs. For the marathon the shifts are 7+ hours long standing on concrete and pavement the whole time. I know how I feel after standing in line for an hour at the parks!!! I appreciate the dedication those water stop volunteers have for us. It’s not easy and they deserve more than a crappy snack box and a partial day ticket. RunDisney can do better. Yes, all Disney provides them for a full day of work is the snack box and a bottle of Dasani water. You have to pack your own food.

I have always thanked volunteers and knew it was a tough job, but YIKES. This is even worse than I thought! And why on earth would they turn down any volunteers? I work at a nonprofit and can't imagine doing that!

They update us from a Winter Storm Watch to a Winter Storm Warning for Monday afternoon through Tuesday morning, so in order to insure it doesn't snow, we moved our flight to 6am tomorrow morning, and booked a night at POFQ for Monday. You're welcome in advance to all Tuesday MSP travelers.
Made it out of MN before the storm, and our flight was surprisingly empty this morning. Over 70 open seats. Two easy runs today and tomorrow and then the party begins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter