Marathon Weekend 2023

Like so many other people, they're talking about about blizzard conditions and stupid cold temps in Buffalo this weekend. I'm dealing with it by moving my Saturday run to tomorrow night on the indoor track and then planning on doing some strength/PT exercises on Saturday and maybe throwing in a yoga workout. If, by any chance, they are wrong about the weather, I could go to the gym on Saturday and run, but I seriously doubt that is going to happen.

With all of the long runs done, I'm a lot more relaxed about staying home.

@DopeyBadger what are your thoughts on training for the next few days as everyone hits the deep freeze? Ok at this point I am just looking for if things don’t go quite as planned am I good since I have done my plan so far? I did peak week last week. I also got my tempo run in today. According to my plan, I would be off tomorrow, then 6 EB on Friday and 10 LR on Saturday. I prefer no treadmill but if I stick to plan it would be both days. My thought to avoid two days if TM is to run EA tomorrow and then try as best I can to get 10 miles at LR on the TM om Saturday. I know it is not ideal but I figure at this point having tired legs on saturday is not so big of an issue.

thoughts?

The important thing to remember when you're this close to race day is that the goal is to maintain and prepare for race day more than it is to make any new gains. So it's more about keeping the training load at an appropriate level.

The other consideration is what the goal is on race day. RunDisney races tend to be unique in that a large proportion of runners are not looking to PR. Which also means you don't necessarily have to be in peak shape or well tapered to still meet all of your goals. So if you find yourself having to miss a few days here or there, or days have to be cut down a touch here or there in these last weeks you'll be fine. You've done the work over the last several months, and that won't disappear very quickly.

Even if you missed 14 straight days, you'd still only lose an estimated 3% of fitness (or 1.5% if you did some other leg aerobic work other than running). What do those percentages mean in real world terms? If you had the fitness of a 4 hour marathon runner, then after 14 days completely off you'd have the fitness of a 4:05:30 runner with no leg aerobic work and 4:02:30 runner with leg aerobic work (like cycling). So it makes a difference, but big picture that difference is pretty minimal. Compare that to the effect of bad T+D. If the 4hr fitness runner encountered ideal conditions, they could run a 4hr marathon. If they encountered a 80F temp with 70F dew point (150 T+D), then they would be estimated to be no better than 4:11:00 (and realistically probably not even that).

So ultimately I wouldn't stress too much over these last few weeks. You've done the work to this point and you'll be fine even with a few obstacles in your way in these last days.

Thanks @DopeyBadger for the confirmation that at this point the work is done and if i make some adjustments it should not make a difference. I have completely bombed when i don't take T + D adjustments and i plan on it for race weekend. If temps are not an issue my time goal is 4:15. My marathon pace race should be 4:04 but my main goal for this event is to not be destroyed after it, like i was for 2022. Thankfully i am going into this race healthy, maybe a tad undertrained to previous years but healthy is better.

I think i am going to run today easy so I can go outside. i prefer to be out and this way i can do that. i figure worst case for skipping runs will be Monday. I won't have a treadmill accessible and i will be in NE Ohio.

I have completely bombed when i don't take T + D adjustments and i plan on it for race weekend. If temps are not an issue my time goal is 4:15. My marathon pace race should be 4:04 but my main goal for this event is to not be destroyed after it, like i was for 2022.

When thinking about running in bad conditions, just imagine your body like an explosive with a fuse. The slower you go the more likely the fuse doesn't get lit. But once you run too fast and your core body temp increases too much that fuse is lit. At that point there's little you can do before the explosive goes off. So just go slow. WAY slower than you think you need to go. If you were aiming for an ideal 4:05 marathon, but think you can do 4:15 pace under those bad conditions, then run 4:30 pace to start and then ease into the race. Keep that core body temp as normal as possible for as long as you can.

anyone want to speculate on the expo shirts (not the "included in your registration ones" since we know what those look like) and spirit jersey? Do you think we are looking at neon colors? Turquoise, magenta, and orange all together on one shirt? I feel like it's going to be very divided on opinion for whatever they put out. I Think the most middle-of-the-road spirit jersey they could put out is like a heathered gray with the characters in mouskersize outfits on the back.

Also, I'm not optimistic because What in the Lisa Frank is this shopDisney spirit jersey?!
1671725064744.png

ALSO, I have an expo virtual queue question for the W&D'ers. I'm assuming that they don't check names for the VQ? Just that your party doesn't exceed the number of people you selected?

anyone want to speculate on the expo shirts (not the "included in your registration ones" since we know what those look like) and spirit jersey? Do you think we are looking at neon colors? Turquoise, magenta, and orange all together on one shirt? I feel like it's going to be very divided on opinion for whatever they put out. I Think the most middle-of-the-road spirit jersey they could put out is like a heathered gray with the characters in mouskersize outfits on the back.

Also, I'm not optimistic because What in the Lisa Frank is this shopDisney spirit jersey?!
View attachment 726836
I actually have that spirit jersey and I love it! 😂😂

All of the weather talk is cracking me up - I’m from Los Angeles but spent a year in Florida and have called the Midwest home for 6 years now, so I’ve seen it all. As long as everyone stays safe over the next few weeks with the crazy storms hitting I’ll take whatever MW throws at us! (Though a high of 60-70 sounds lovely, if Santa is taking notes 🤣)

Well while you are rubbing salt in the wounds as we freeze to death… I’m reminding everyone that we have a roughly 2-2 1/2 hour flight. Dubai is 16-17 hours.
True, but 16 hours on Emirates beats a flight of any duration on a US airline ;)

Also, I’m sure I’ll get this thrown back in my face when you are running in glorious weather this spring and summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter