Marathon Weekend 2023

That was the last full I ran before this year. Unfortunately to move back to that course with so little time in DHS would just mean more out and back on Osceola and, given that option, I actually prefer the 2022 course. If they could make up the distance with more AK time, however, give me the 2011 course.

Agreed. The old courses only work well if you’re in DHS for more than 5 minutes. If they do use the current course again, I’d like to see them bring back the Red and Blue starts. Those make the first few miles much less crowded.

Agreed. The old courses only work well if you’re in DHS for more than 5 minutes. If they do use the current course again, I’d like to see them bring back the Red and Blue starts. Those make the first few miles much less crowded.
How did the red/blue starts work? Were you assigned a specific course? Did you just get to the spilt and decide?
I've never run a race with big splits in them so I'm curious how it works.

How did the red/blue starts work? Were you assigned a specific course? Did you just get to the spilt and decide?
The New York Marathon has 3 different start locations that eventually merge into one route after a few miles.

I’d assume Disney did something similar.

The New York Marathon has 3 different start locations that eventually merge into one route after a few miles.

I’d assume Disney did something similar.
Ahh that makes sense. Assuming it's just everyone in your corral goes there same way. So there might be two s1 corrals and one goes red and the other blue.

Has anyone looked at the runDisney Marathon Weekend page recently? It now reads "Registration Opening Soon."

Has anyone looked at the runDisney Marathon Weekend page recently? It now reads "Registration Opening Soon."
I have been checking it religiously including this morning before you posted and that is the first time I have seen Registration Opening Soon...

The Twitter account that follows registration openings mentioned that it's been flipping to that status nearly every night for a short period before going back to Sold Out.

Yes your corral dictated which course you got, with red course starting on one side of the road and blue on the other in current start area (where we now come back through). I'll see if I can find the old maps, but as I recall, one went through more of EPCOT and the other was mostly outside EPCOT and the you merged somewhere in mile 2-3 as I recall (although my memory ain't what it once was). Since they used to run th HM and Marathon on the same day, they were used to setting it up. There were definately people who would be upset if they got one start vs. the other as most people wanted more EPCOT time.

Last edited:
I think 2005 (that's what I Googled since it was the year of my first Disney marathon) but I can't find any confirmation of that.

I was off (again). From website that has the map posted (https://photos.loudermilk.org/2008disneymarathon/), it says 2008. That makes a lot more sense given I think 2006 was first year that matahon and HM were on different days. So this once again proves my memory sucks.

That map looks pretty much like the marathon course in 2010. I don't remember if it was the same in 2011, but I know 2010 we still had the red and blue courses, merging right around mile 3-4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter