Marathon Weekend 2022

Sorry for all those who are testing positive for Covid. But good hearing that everyone has mild symptoms. So far have been home since Monday and no symptoms of any kind yet (knock on wood). I went to MW with the mindset that I was going to catch it. When I came to terms with that reality, it actually helped me enjoy the weekend. I was more stressed out the week before getting there and trying to avoid getting sick before leaving. I took precautions when I could (masks in the corrals and start, KN95 at the parks, on the plane). I figured since I am boosted I would get mild symptoms if I caught it. But like someone else mentioned above, if I do develop symptoms I would still not regret going. That was my first Dopey and had an absolute blast of a weekend. Can not ever take away those great memories!

Sorry for all those who are testing positive for Covid. But good hearing that everyone has mild symptoms. So far have been home since Monday and no symptoms of any kind yet (knock on wood). I went to MW with the mindset that I was going to catch it. When I came to terms with that reality, it actually helped me enjoy the weekend. I was more stressed out the week before getting there and trying to avoid getting sick before leaving. I took precautions when I could (masks in the corrals and start, KN95 at the parks, on the plane). I figured since I am boosted I would get mild symptoms if I caught it. But like someone else mentioned above, if I do develop symptoms I would still not regret going. That was my first Dopey and had an absolute blast of a weekend. Can not ever take away those great memories!
I have had exactly zero symptoms but am still driving my friends & family crazy with my covid hypochondria since I got back. Every time I clear my throat, I text my friends, "Is this covid?" They don't even respond to those kinds of texts anymore :crazy:
The good news is that my work is remote for the 2 weeks after I got back, and so is all my family, who traveled with me. I've been staying inside otherwise.
We are all vaxxed to the max and I agree with you, if we got a mild case I wouldn't have regrets. We had an amazing family vacation and it was worth it, especially since we can quarantine after.

So far, so good here re: COVID. The tree pollen counts are super high, so I have my usual itchy, watery eyes and a little congestion, plus the chronic cough I've had since getting COVID in early 2020. I wore KN95 masks the entire time I was out of my resort room, other than some wide open stretches of the races and while eating outdoors. I ran the entire 5K and 10K masked, much of the half, and the first 5 miles plus any other crowded parts of the full. I genuinely think I did all I could.

I (rapid) tested negative before leaving WDW and am wearing a KN95 mask in my house outside of my bedroom to help protect my son, but he'll be around people indoors who may or may not wear masks starting next week, and I'll be back in my office, where nobody else wears a mask, so it all feels kind of moot: I think we'll both be exposed one way or another. Which infuriates me, but there's nothing I can do about it. I'll test again Sunday (5 days after my last day in WDW), just to see.

Last edited:
We heard this too. Bleh.
The only (terrible) reason I could give was we were going into the stretching room, so the line would get mixed anyway.

Yeah, I can understand it in the stretching room and waiting to go into the pre show of RnRC (another place it’s common) and similar places. That initial time a couple years ago was at Pirates in the normal queue and I heard it in other normal lines this time around. It’s just asking for line jumping confrontations in those instances. It’s just a bizarre choice to have CMs angrily admonish a line for not being pushy enough.

What are your symptoms? Our family has some mild ones and we just got tested yesterday for our return flight to Canada. We should find out today if we’re postponing our flight. We were prepared for it and my wife and I have no regrets if it is Covid.

Mine started mildly as a tickle in the throat/hoarse when speaking which I initially attributed to completing Dopey. It moved to full on chills/fever, body aches, headache, and cough a few days later… (fully vaccinated)

I've also been hearing from various friends that they've had mild symptoms and been tested and have a negative result. Times are confusing these days because it is winter with its normal array of normal colds and such out there, but we are all paranoid and don't want to expose others if it should be Covid. We are all okay so far from the trip and hope those who are sick get feeling better quickly!

That was our philosophy as well-we assumed we would catch it, so once we were there it was easier to relax. The two weeks prior was VERY stressful as we tried to avoid getting it. We still took precautions-masks before the race, no indoor eating (until after the marathon), but still got it. Mild symptoms, bit of a foggy brain, but I just HOPE that is covid and not just me, lol. We are both double-vaxxed, have had covid previously, so we figured our symptoms would be mild. Having said all that-I LOVED my first Dopey!!!!!!!

Yeah, I can understand it in the stretching room and waiting to go into the pre show of RnRC (another place it’s common) and similar places. That initial time a couple years ago was at Pirates in the normal queue and I heard it in other normal lines this time around. It’s just asking for line jumping confrontations in those instances. It’s just a bizarre choice to have CMs angrily admonish a line for not being pushy enough.
I don’t like it either- no matter the attraction, it just doesn’t sound pleasant.

On the topic of Genie +, we didn’t hate it as much as we thought we would. It’s definitely inferior to DLRs now defunct Maxpass, but some functionality was similar. Our only MK day was also our expo day. I decided mid morning that it might be a good idea to try genie +. Essentially I was able to stack rides for when we’d actually be in the park. Once in the park, we used immediate return times/searching for cancellations to get on everything we wanted. We could have gone on more than we did, but we’re DL snobs and refuse to ride some WDW versions. 😆Somehow even sold out iLL would pop up throughout the day, so we paid for those more than I thought we would. 🤦🏼‍♀️ We were so thankful to have it at HS. Those lines were bonkers, and people there were angry and aggressive!😳 I was happy to find a Frozen iLL and hop to Epcot for that and Harmonious (new favorite 😍😍)!! …Anyone else double their Dopey miles with another 50 walking miles?!? 😱🤕

I do absolutely HATE the nickel and diming, and it’s obnoxious to have to be glued to the phone to use genie+ efficiently. 😒

Same on the pre-trip stress/anxiety- I drove myself nuts worrying I wouldn’t make it there, but knew by going I was accepting a huge risk. I was still careful, and so far have still tested negative, though I’m hiding out for a minimum of 5 days post travel to be sure.

On another note, I just ordered this (as a hoodie, but you can get the design on a lot of things) from Etsy. I would rather have the real thing, but it sounds like chances are low we will see any more official merchandise.

Attachments

• C65B9191-63B6-41A5-A48C-B82D591CC5DA.jpeg
    C65B9191-63B6-41A5-A48C-B82D591CC5DA.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 52
@kps7795 actually we can agree. I have absolutely no science to say it was Monday. I had Delta and came down with symptoms quickly after exposure (sunday was exposure and symptoms on tuesday) that is the only reason i said monday. But yes it feels less than a cold. More of annoyance, and not near as bad as when i had delta. do you think testing today will give a decent result (concerned about false negative) or should i wait till tomorrow (for best results)? test kits are hard to come by, i happen to have two tests at home but afraid once i use them it will be a while before i find more.
My wife proved her mettle as a medical doctor when she called exactly when I would experience the onset of symptoms. She told me 3-5 days and my symptoms became most noticeable on day 3. I asked if I should get tested on Tuesday and my wife had me wait until Wednesday to ensure a more accurate test result because Tuesday would have been too early and might have resulted in a false negative. I personally would suggest that you get tested today. However, I question the accuracy of at-home testing. I don't know if it's the test kits themselves or people who are not medically trained failed to get good swabs, but we have had A LOT of patients come in and test positive (rapid and pcr) after testing negative via at-home tests.

I've also been hearing from various friends that they've had mild symptoms and been tested and have a negative result. Times are confusing these days because it is winter with its normal array of normal colds and such out there, but we are all paranoid and don't want to expose others if it should be Covid. We are all okay so far from the trip and hope those who are sick get feeling better quickly!

My employee started experiencing a bad sore throat and some body aches on Tuesday night. She took two at home tests and the results were very weird. Big pink blobs on the strips. So our HR said since the strip had a pink color that she is positive. She went and got a PCR test, came back negative. She took a strep test and that came back positive. Crazy thing is that where she got her strep test at, they made her take another covid test, even though she just got her negative results two hours earlier.

My wife proved her mettle as a medical doctor when she called exactly when I would experience the onset of symptoms. She told me 3-5 days and my symptoms became most noticeable on day 3. I asked if I should get tested on Tuesday and my wife had me wait until Wednesday to ensure a more accurate test result because Tuesday would have been too early and might have resulted in a false negative. I personally would suggest that you get tested today. However, I question the accuracy of at-home testing. I don't know if it's the test kits themselves or people who are not medically trained failed to get good swabs, but we have had A LOT of patients come in and test positive (rapid and pcr) after testing negative via at-home tests.
I have been hearing about a lot of people testing negative at home but PCR is positive. I am trying to avoid finding an appointment. My medical friend said test tomorrow. At this point I am going to act like i am positive until I test and even if i test negative. I mean the likely hood of it being Omicron is pretty high. I work from home any way so it just means, DH goes to the grocery store and no visiting my folks this weekend.

I have been hearing about a lot of people testing negative at home but PCR is positive. I am trying to avoid finding an appointment. My medical friend said test tomorrow. At this point I am going to act like i am positive until I test and even if i test negative. I mean the likely hood of it being Omicron is pretty high. I work from home any way so it just means, DH goes to the grocery store and no visiting my folks this weekend.

One of the things to keep in mind in these cases is that the tests use different technologies that vary significantly in sensitivity. At home tests require a much higher viral load to be present to return a positive result. The PCR tests are much more sensitive and can return positives long after a person has recovered, in some cases.

I read a very interesting article that postulated that the at home/rapid tests could actually be more useful in situations like we're in right now, as they spotlight when someone has a high load and is more likely to be contagious, versus the PCR test which can keep returning positives long after it's safe for someone to return to normal activities. Not endorsing any specific view on the matter, but it was an interesting evaluation.

I have been hearing about a lot of people testing negative at home but PCR is positive.
The lateral flow tests (at home tests like the Binax ones) are very sensitive to swabbing technique because they're directly measuring the amount of virus on the swab. They're best used to check for symptomatic infection when used in the nostrils. There's some unapproved but promising research that throat swabs with omicron are more accurate but YMMV.

PCR tests are amplifying tests meaning that they amplify the signal from small quantities of viral RNA so that it's visible, this makes them a lot more sensitive than lateral flow tests.

At this point I am going to act like i am positive until I test and even if i test negative.

100% the right move, if you're symptomatic you have something. Even if it's just a rhinovirus don't spread that around :)

Ran the half and started feeling a bit out of sorts Tuesday night. I do have seasonal allergies that start right after Christmas and last until the end of January/beginning of February here in Central FL. My itchy eyes were bothering me last week a little, but I think it got worse after Sunday's warm weather. My ears and nose are draining into my throat, so i thought i got a cold as well, since I was running around in a tank top on Saturday morning in 55 degrees. But i started getting mild chills and a headache on Wednesday night, so I signed up for a rapid test, which i went to get this morning and it showed positive. So I had to report it to HR at my part time job (who gave me the test) and now will be calling out from work this weekend. I work from home f/t and live alone, so I am already isolating.

I knew the chance was there and while i wore my mask in the coral, i couldn't run with it (fogged my glasses). i also stayed at the Poly all weekend, so I picked it up somewhere, assuming I do have it and not just cold/alergies.

The tl;dr that I've heard on rapid vs PCR tests is that rapid tests tell you when you're infectious/contagious, and PCRs can catch an infection even when it's not in the infectious stage.
So if you come up positive on a rapid test, definitely avoid people. If you come up positive on a PCR, get some rest, take care of yourself, and also probably avoid people because even if you're not infectious now, you will be soon.

So far I'm ok over here, tested negative via rapid and had a PCR test done just to be sure.

EDIT: to add to this, I live very close to NYC and visit fairly often so it's *very* possible that I had been exposed to this early on.

Last edited:
The tl;dr that I've heard on rapid vs PCR tests is that rapid tests tell you when you're infectious/contagious, and PCRs can catch an infection even when it's not in the infectious stage.
So if you come up positive on a rapid test, definitely avoid people. If you come up positive on a PCR, get some rest, take care of yourself, and also probably avoid people because even if you're not infectious now, you will be soon.
This was true for the wild type virus and Alpha variants, Delta and Omicron have much better binding efficiency to ACE-2 receptors and the correlation likely does not hold true anymore.

Edit: Meaning that negative on a rapid test but still symptomatic and even pre-symptomatic is likely still infectious.

This was true for the wild type virus and Alpha variants, Delta and Omicron have much better binding efficiency to ACE-2 receptors and the correlation likely does not hold true anymore.

Edit: Meaning that negative on a rapid test but still symptomatic and even pre-symptomatic is likely still infectious.

Interesting. I had read this somewhat recently, but the article I was reading may have been based on old data. Thanks for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter