Marathon Weekend 2022

I like the Weather Underground 10 day forecast because they have a graph. The furthest it goes out now is 1/1 which has a temp/real feel of the following:

5:00am: 67° / 69°
6:00am: 67° / 69°
7:00am: 67° / 69°
8:00am: 69° / 71°
9:00am: 71° / 71°

Those are all too warm for me so I'm hoping for a cold front to come through. My ideal would be between 38° and 43° for race time.

Last edited:
Bad news- pcr test came back positive so I do in fact have Covid.
Good news- my quarantine will be over before I’m supposed to leave and I’ll be well protected against getting it again on the trip.
Bad news- no idea how I’m going to finish dopey with basically no running since dec 15.

Have another Covid test scheduled for Jan 3 so I can make sure I’m negative before traveling. What a crap ending to this training cycle.

Sorry to hear that! As far as Dopey goes, slow down, take it easy where you can, and you’ll be surprised what you can accomplish. You’ve got a lot of training under your belt already and it’s not going away overnight.

Good news- my quarantine will be over before I’m supposed to leave and I’ll be well protected against getting it again on the trip.
Bad news- no idea how I’m going to finish dopey with basically no running since dec 15.

Have another Covid test scheduled for Jan 3 so I can make sure I’m negative before traveling. What a crap ending to this training cycle.

You may not miss as much as you think. I only missed 3 runs and then did shorten 2 of the 3 first runs I did when I got back. My 18 miler (12 at marathon pace) was run on Sunday and I tested positive the next day so I had it for that run as well. A friend of mine tested positive and didn't miss any run other than shortening his 30 miler to 20 (he is training for an ultra). It really just depends how you feel.

Sorry to hear about testing positive. I hope yours is a mild case.

I like the Weather Underground 10 day forecast because they have a graph. The furthest it goes out now is 1/1 which has a temp/real feel of the following:

5:00am: 67° / 69°
6:00am: 67° / 69°
7:00am: 67° / 69°
8:00am: 69° / 71°
9:00am: 71° / 71°

Those are all too warm for me so I'm hoping for a cold front to come through. My idea would be between 38° and 43° for race time.
Weather channel 10-day has Thur 06 as 64/81.
I'll be one of the few happy with these temps. No freezing during the pre-race, no lung issues from cold air.
So much of my training was in 85+ and the 90s that these temps won't bother me much.

Ditto! My DVC waitlist came through so i decided to say there instead of driving from home. Forgot that the half doesn't start from the MK lot, so maybe a quick walk to the Epcot monorail would be great!
Woohoo! Poly crew represent! See you on the monorail. :flower1:

I love my foam roller at home, but use The Stick when I travel and can't easily bring a roller. If you google "the stick roller" you'll find it at a bunch of places. It doesn't take up much space in a suitcase or large backpack.

And you will find many of the vendors at the expo will have these as well.

I really hope Florida gets a cold front sometime before Marathon Weekend (especially Sunday) because the next 10 days look really hot. :headache:
Floridian here in Florida, currently wearing 2 layers of clothing, under a down blanket, with the heat on: it's 52*. :rotfl: 47* for my run before sunrise. Brrrrrr!

I’m afraid that the no refund policy is going to encourage people to come run the race even if they know they have covid or are otherwise sick. I understand the no refund policy generally but I would think it is in Disney’s best interest to allow switching to virtual or deferring during the pandemic, so people who are sick can still get their medal and shirt and not have to come spread their germs to everyone. They’ve changed lots of other policies during the past 2 years due to covid, why not one more ??
I could not agree more. Now is the time for rD to allow for - and advertise widely - cancelations/transfers/refunds/credits due to COVID.

caveat: IT'S TOO EARLY TO LOOK AT THE WEATHER!!!!!!!

I'm seeing lows in the 50s and highs in the low- to mid-70s for the race days - that's what we call "winter" here in FL. ;)

A note about high and low temps: this time of year, we only hit the daily high for maybe an hour in the afternoon - that is not what to look at for race temp. Starting race temp is going to be the overnight low of the day before.

I mean, I think there's a difference between looking at the forecasts today and coming to a reasonable expectation that you won't need layers upon layers of throw aways at the starting line AND looking at the forecast and trying to decide which socks to wear....you're 64 degree swift wicks or your 61 degree smartwools

What we can learn today is that the chance of a winter blast is highly unlikely so it makes packing easier which may lead to decision about what car to drive to the airport to fit luggage or what carry-on to use or how to get back to the airport since there is no DME. I think considerations for pre, post and race nutrition should shift as well and maybe with avg to higher temps, details can be worked out for extra cases of water to someones room/resort, etc. Rain, I wouldnt worry about that at all and thats just something you hav to prepare for no matter what but certainly I think value can be had 2-3 weeks out.

Weather channel 10-day has Thur 06 as 64/81.
I'll be one of the few happy with these temps. No freezing during the pre-race, no lung issues from cold air.
So much of my training was in 85+ and the 90s that these temps won't bother me much.

I am with you on this. Running in the Houston area, been running in the 80's and humidity alot this fall. Plus running in the scorching summer heat was a daily thing for me since I run at lunch each workday. 60's / 80's sounds fantastic! Also agree with the no freezing pre-race and the lung issues from the cold air. Also, warmer air equals less snot/mucus build up while running. LOL. When it's cold out, having to blow out your nose every mile gets old.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I've got Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter weather options in place for each race lol! I'm just not making any firm decisions yet. Know why? 2017. Remember how the forecast right up until that Friday was for the hottest Marathon ever? And how we absolutely froze when a freak cold front blew through, canceling the half and handing us a wind chill in the teens ahead of the full? Yeah, once bitten, twice shy: I'll just be bringing it all.

See also: 2010. #neverforget

Be aware that your repeat test may well still be positive and it won’t mean you are contagious. For some people, tests can continue to return as positive for up to 6 months after a known infection. Others will get a clear negative within a couple of weeks. As long as you complete the appropriate quarantine time and have no symptoms, a positive test doesn’t have to dictate your decision to participate.

I mean, I think there's a difference between looking at the forecasts today and coming to a reasonable expectation that you won't need layers upon layers of throw aways at the starting line AND looking at the forecast and trying to decide which socks to wear....you're 64 degree swift wicks or your 61 degree smartwools

What we can learn today is that the chance of a winter blast is highly unlikely so it makes packing easier which may lead to decision about what car to drive to the airport to fit luggage or what carry-on to use or how to get back to the airport since there is no DME. I think considerations for pre, post and race nutrition should shift as well and maybe with avg to higher temps, details can be worked out for extra cases of water to someones room/resort, etc. Rain, I wouldnt worry about that at all and thats just something you hav to prepare for no matter what but certainly I think value can be had 2-3 weeks out.

Except this really isn’t the case at all. 2017 stands out as a stark example of how quickly things can change dramatically and how people following this type of advice ended up woefully unprepared for the conditions of the marathon.

They’ve changed lots of other policies during the past 2 years due to covid, why not one more ?

Because they already have the money and to do anything different would require additional work, which they are unable or unwilling to do.

See also: 2010. #neverforget

My first marathon, and I really thought that 30-ish temp was great because it was what I was accustomed to running in at home. Now volunteering the day before for the half and standing around at the Epcot turnaround at World Showcase--that was dreadful. Even with all the clothes I brought, and handwarmers (which never did activate), I needed a 15 minute hot shower when I got back to my room.

Except this really isn’t the case at all. 2017 stands out as a stark example of how quickly things can change dramatically and how people following this type of advice ended up woefully unprepared for the conditions of the marathon.
What advice is that?

Being woefully unprepared isn't from following any advice it's from a lack of preparation. The chance of a winter blast is unlikely not impossible. Anyone who wants to invest their time and energy during the holidays into the unlikely can still do so but extended forecasts give a peek into what is most likely. It doesnt make them useless and it doesnt make them concrete but they can and should steer every participant to know what is most likely.

My first marathon, and I really thought that 30-ish temp was great because it was what I was accustomed to running in at home. Now volunteering the day before for the half and standing around at the Epcot turnaround at World Showcase--that was dreadful. Even with all the clothes I brought, and handwarmers (which never did activate), I needed a 15 minute hot shower when I got back to my room.
Yeah, we intentionally showed up late for the A corral and just started our run/race as soon as we stepped off the bus. No way was I going to stand around in the corral that morning. We were staying at the Contemporary that year and we stashed a bag in the bushes the morning of the race with some extra dry clothes if needed and a place we could drop layers that we started with and didnt want to throw away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter