• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

ATTQOTD: I run because I feel so good when I have... and I love the solitude of long runs. Today, even though I was struggling through 17 miles with my gamey knee (see the Running Thread), I was listening to a great audiobook (The Gray Ghost Murders by Keith McCafferty - highly recommended) and the morning, though very cold, was clear and beautiful. And I feel great the rest of the day.

I run Disney because the whole experience is magical, from getting on the monorail to the race to wearing my medal in the parks after. Its the friendliest race out there as well. Even though I'm running the marathon solo, it's easy to strike up conversations and find companions during the race. Marathons in general are like that, but Disney is special even in that regard.

I reached some personal goals at Wineglass Marathon this year, but Goofy will still be the highlight.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

I’m not seeing @rteetz around yet today, so I’m going to hop in with a Sundays are for Disney question based on a question I get from people a lot when I talk around running:

What motivates you to run and why runDisney?
Sorry was out for my last long run!

Disney has always been one of my favorite things. I was never a runner but getting a chance to run through the parks was an awesome thought. So I signed up for a 10K and the rest is history. I enjoy every moment.

I’m not seeing @rteetz around yet today, so I’m going to hop in with a Sundays are for Disney question based on a question I get from people a lot when I talk around running:

I run because it's gives me time to bond with my closest friends. I have a group of 4 guys that I run with on a regular basis. Its amazing what comes up when you have 3 hours together on a long run with no real distractions. I also run for health and so I don't gain a bunch of weight (I'm only doing so, so at that).

I runDisney because it has a special place in my heart. A half marathon during marathon weekend was my first big race and that weekend was the catalyst to make me think that maybe I could do more. (Before I had hated running). In general running has a very positive community. People seem to be genuinely encouraging regardless of pace (With the exception of people that course cut or cheat on their times to get BQ placement). I find at Disney particularly during marathon weekend that positive encouragement and sense of fraternity is even greater. With the exception of NY it's my favorite marathon experience.

Our forecast just changed to rain/freezing rain and snow the week after Christmas. If that verifies I will be treadmilling it for sure! No hitting a patch of ice the week before Dopey!

In other fantastic news, I woke up with the plague this morning, the day of my last long run that was already rescheduled for today. So if you’re sick above the neck it’s ok to run, right?
It seems to be fine for me. Since I don't do snot rockets, I really needed to sanitize my gloves after yesterday's long run!

All depends on @roxymama. 2018 is supposed to be my last rD event for a while. :)
No pressure, @roxymama (yes, pressure!)

I remember seeing something, I think from @DopeyBadger, to help determine your corral for the 10k, but can’t find it again. Any guesses where 604xx would land? If all the 10k only people start with 60xxx, then it seems farther up than I should be. So I thought maybe it starts at 50xxx, but then I feel like I’d be further back than expected. My pace is probably going to be 10:15 - 10:30. I was in a less injured and stronger state at registration time, so I think I put in 9-10 min/mi expected pace concurrent with my 10k PR. Just trying to determine if I’ll finish before the buses start and therefore drive instead.

This is a great list WillieT

I am a little confused about this item. If I am planning on discarding outer layers I usually just pin my bib to my shorts as I usually keep those on. I am not sure how you would discard underneath layers.
Here's a race picture from last year. I had 3 layers when I started: red tank, short sleeve shirt, and long sleeve white shirt. On Bear Island Road around mile 10, I was starting to heat up a bit too much -- I was able to slide off my race tank with my bib, hold it in one hand, and discard my 2nd layer (short sleeve shirt). I somehow executed this maneuver while not breaking stride and maintaining a 7:55 pace. Around mile 20, I wanted to discard the long sleeve shirt, but never seemed to find the right time -- kinda glad I kept during mile 23 because that wind on World Drive was cold and strong.

A bib belt is helpful for these situations, and I used one about 7 years ago, but I like to have all 4 corners of my bib pinned to my shirt. Of course, your solution with pinning the bib to your shorts makes life much simpler and avoids the stripping gymnastics routine. :-)
16177781_10207968492032008_7618855478173933975_o.jpg

My wife is my motivation. I’m not built for running long distances but she is. Triathlons are her hobby and we’ve been running together since 2009 (our first marathon and our first Disney race).

We choose runDisney because while she’s the runner, I’m the Disney Fanatic. So this is a perfect combination for us.

I run because it's gives me time to bond with my closest friends. I have a group of 4 guys that I run with on a regular basis. Its amazing what comes up when you have 3 hours together on a long run with no real distractions. I also run for health and so I don't gain a bunch of weight (I'm only doing so, so at that).

I runDisney because it has a special place in my heart. A half marathon during marathon weekend was my first big race and that weekend was the catalyst to make me think that maybe I could do more. (Before I had hated running). In general running has a very positive community. People seem to be genuinely encouraging regardless of pace (With the exception of people that course cut or cheat on their times to get BQ placement). I find at Disney particularly during marathon weekend that positive encouragement and sense of fraternity is even greater. With the exception of NY it's my favorite marathon experience.

It's interesting how different runners are. I'm at heart a solo runner and have never enjoyed group runs. But I like the community of runners... I look forward to the weekly Wednesday 5k and hanging out for beers afterward. And I love this forum.

So - I’m working on a longer post for my PTR ... but since you asked!

I was born with a clubfoot, so physical activity wasn’t something I was supposed to be able to do real well. But my parents were committed to finding any solution to the problem, so after a dozen or so surgical procedures and such, I look like this:

D6A696D9-6826-41F6-A552-6A14BDD78AE9.jpeg

So, for those keeping track at home ... I’m about two inches shorter on the left side than the right. I’m a 4.5/8 in shoe sizes - and yeah, I don’t really have much of a calf muscle on the left.

I run Disney because the thought of doing a half marathon at Disneyland was exciting to me ... and it got me off the couch and out the door. It got me to run not just one, but TWO marathons. And the people I’ve met in the process have inspired and encouraged me to do much more (triathlons, Ragnar, etc.).

I bag on RunDisney a lot, but the reason I am who I am now and why I have the goals I have is because I saw the finish of the WDW Marathon in 2013 and thought it might be cool to run a race at Disney sometime.

I was born with a clubfoot, so physical activity wasn’t something I was supposed to be able to do real well. But my parents were committed to finding any solution to the problem, so after a dozen or so surgical procedures and such, I look like this:

View attachment 289178

So, for those keeping track at home ... I’m about two inches shorter on the left side than the right. I’m a 4.5/8 in shoe sizes - and yeah, I don’t really have much of a calf muscle on the left.

I run Disney because the thought of doing a half marathon at Disneyland was exciting to me ... and it got me off the couch and out the door. It got me to run not just one, but TWO marathons. And the people I’ve met in the process have inspired and encouraged me to do much more (triathlons, Ragnar, etc.).

I bag on RunDisney a lot, but the reason I am who I am now and why I have the goals I have is because I saw the finish of the WDW Marathon in 2013 and thought it might be cool to run a race at Disney sometime.

Keels, you are an inspiration. And here I am whining about my knee. :charac2:

I run because I am lucky enough to be able to and it provides me with an outlet from stress, an opportunity to challenge myself and because I love the outdoors. I am not fast, but I am tenacious and running gives me the chance to sink my teeth into something and see it through. This morning during my long run I was listening to some podcasts and one of the hosts quoted a runner who said something like " running for me is the opportunity to bite off more than I can chew, but that is ok because I can chew like hell". That is running for me and why I love it. I began running runDisney because I love Disney and I love running, it was a perfect fit and is a fantastic vacation. An added bonus has been the runDisney Threads and getting to be a part of this community!

I run Disney because the thought of doing a half marathon at Disneyland was exciting to me ... and it got me off the couch and out the door. It got me to run not just one, but TWO marathons.

AS PART OF THE DOPEY CHALLENGE!! What?!?! Who does that for their first marathon?!? That's just crazy (and very, very impressive). I love telling people about those Disney runners who'd never done a marathon but ran Goofy or Dopey as their first. That's a little crazy but a lot courageous and inspirational. Tip of the cap to all of you folks.

And the people I’ve met in the process have inspired and encouraged me to do much more (triathlons, Ragnar, etc.).

I hadn't seen you mention the clubfoot before. :thumbsup2 for not letting it slow you down!

It's interesting how different runners are. I'm at heart a solo runner and have never enjoyed group runs. But I like the community of runners... I look forward to the weekly Wednesday 5k and hanging out for beers afterward. And I love this forum.
I like the community of runners, but even though that I run in a group I don't know that I would be one to sign up for group runs. It just happens that my 4 closest friends all run (and really like Disney). While I do my midweek runs by myself, I love having a group for encouragement during long runs. The talks during those long runs give us more time to walk about work and family than most friends get.

View attachment 289178

Wow that is really inspirational.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter