Major Policy Change in DVC/DCL Trade Policy UPDATE ON POST #193

It is great hearing all the good news. Lets hope some folks can get their cruises in the future.:cool1:

Guess what-I'm booked on points :yay::yay:!!! I wanted to thank everyone for all of the support and encouragement :worship:! The DVC managers and Leadership team were very helpful as well:goodvibes. Good luck to everyone else!

That is good news. Is this for the Dream?

That is good news. Is this for the Dream?

Thanks! This was an Alaska cruise that I tried to book before this problem started-they were having trouble getting the 11B onboard offer loaded in the system-they were able to fix it yesterday and take over my reservation :banana:.

This really IS good news! We aren't planning to cruise on points right now, but I am banking this years points in hopes of cruising in 2012 on points. I really hope we are able to do this. So this news gives me hope :)

More DCL cabins just released for 2010, 2011

Written by Tim Krasniewski | August 31, 2010

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/news-p...8-more-dcl-cabins-just-released-for-2010-2011

Late last night we received word that select dates and itineraries for 2010 and 2011 sailings on the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder are now available for points reservations by Disney Vacation Club members.
A week ago members learned that capacity had been exceeded for DVC points reservations on all Disney Cruise Line voyages through September 2011. However by working in conjunction with Disney Cruise Line, Disney Vacation Club has managed to secure additional capacity on select voyages through September '11.
According to a Disney Vacation Club spokesperson, Member Services is currently contacting individuals who were placed on the cruise "Call List." Available capacity on the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder is also available to all members on a first-come, first-served basis.
Member Services will continue to maintain a Call List (or wait list) for members who are still unable to secure their desired sailing and/or cabin class. Members on the Call List will be contacted as additional capacity for points bookings is released.
Additional member availability is not expected for sailing dates prior to October 1, 2011 aboard the new Disney Dream cruise ship. However, later this year Disney Vacation Club will be accepting reservations for the 2011 S.S. Member Cruise aboard the Disney Dream, where more than 1,200 staterooms will be available for booking by DVC members.

That's old news. Tim posted it here a week ago on page 41 of this thread.

It's still helpful, though, for those who read only the first page or the most recent page of the threads.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
We've been planning on the February cruise for 2 months now but were waiting for the kids' school calendar to get published. Availability was not an issue when we looked online, but never took into account that the DVC numbers were capped. Now the school calendar is out, but there is no DVC availability during this time.

We've booked several DCL cruises within 6 months over the past years and never had a problem...so while I'm trying to stay positive, the vacation planning is getting the best of me - sorry for sounding negative, it's just frustration on my part not being able to book a vacation for my family.

:banana:

Don't give up. I hope you put your name on the call list!

This really IS good news! We aren't planning to cruise on points right now, but I am banking this years points in hopes of cruising in 2012 on points. I really hope we are able to do this. So this news gives me hope :)
There have been no reports of any difficulties booking 2012 cruises. But it sure makes sense to book as early as you can, because a similar situation could conceiveably occur then too. If I were cruising on points in 2012, I would certainly book as early as I possibly could.

If you need to bank/borrow, I believe MS can do those transactions outside the normal restrictions for use on cruise bookings. At least that's what the leadership guy told me. He specifically mentioned banking ahead of the start of my UY and borrowing from a year beyond the normal borrowing year because we can book cruises two years out. (In terms of the UY the cruise falls in, there is no difference -- you're still banking from the year prior and borrowing from the year after.)

I have never tried that, and wasn't interested in doing it, so I didn't clarify anything. But if that possibility would be a benefit to your trip, I would sure call MS and ask them how that works.

DVC member satisfaction team saved the day!!!
I had reservation points from a cancelled cruise that I was unable to rebook once this whole thing happened and I contacted DVC with the email address I saw on this thread. The called me back in 3 working days just as their email reply said. They could not book me a cruise (I am still on call list for Dream 4/21/2011) but....they reinstated my points to their original status in their original use year.

Still want to cruise but if it doesn't work out for the Dream this time, I will plan waaaaaaaay in advance the next time!!

I'm feeling the DVC magic again!!! :lovestruc

I had reservation points from a cancelled cruise that I was unable to rebook once this whole thing happened and I contacted DVC with the email address I saw on this thread. The called me back in 3 working days just as their email reply said. They could not book me a cruise (I am still on call list for Dream 4/21/2011) but....they reinstated my points to their original status in their original use year.

Still want to cruise but if it doesn't work out for the Dream this time, I will plan waaaaaaaay in advance the next time!!

Now THAT is much better. It's one thing to tell people they can't book a cruise with points but it is entirely another for a member to end up with reservation points because they can't rebook another cruise. I think it is great that you got your points reinstated to their original status. Now it is your choice how you want to use them without having your hands tied by Disney.

There have been no reports of any difficulties booking 2012 cruises. But it sure makes sense to book as early as you can, because a similar situation could conceiveably occur then too. If I were cruising on points in 2012, I would certainly book as early as I possibly could.

If you need to bank/borrow, I believe MS can do those transactions outside the normal restrictions for use on cruise bookings. At least that's what the leadership guy told me. He specifically mentioned banking ahead of the start of my UY and borrowing from a year beyond the normal borrowing year because we can book cruises two years out. (In terms of the UY the cruise falls in, there is no difference -- you're still banking from the year prior and borrowing from the year after.)

I have never tried that, and wasn't interested in doing it, so I didn't clarify anything. But if that possibility would be a benefit to your trip, I would sure call MS and ask them how that works.

I'm a little confused...can you book 2012 cruises out if the point charts aren't out yet? Or does MS tell you what the point value would be if you just call?

I'm a little confused...can you book 2012 cruises out if the point charts aren't out yet? Or does MS tell you what the point value would be if you just call?
I'm a little confused too!

I was not interested in booking, so I didn't ask any questions. But what you are saying makes sense -- if they don't have the points yet, how can they book the cruise with points? But they have to be able to do something, because we can book cruises 2 years out.

Maybe they book them as cash and convert later? I don't know, but I bet somebody here does know.

I'm very happy the issue was availability and not a policy change. It's wonderful DVC and DL were able to create some magic and find additional sail dates.

Bon voyage!!:goodvibes

That is great news! It seems they are definitely trying to work with the members.

I would like to know too how would a member go about booking for 2012. Cash and then convert? What would a member be booking? Just a date?

That is great news! It seems they are definitely trying to work with the members.

I would like to know too how would a member go about booking for 2012. Cash and then convert? What would a member be booking? Just a date?

I would definitely not recommend booking on cash with the hopes of converting to points. I think the recent events show that absolutely may not work out in the future.

I have never attempted to book a cruise that was beyond the date of published point charts so I am not sure about that. I would hesitate to try anything out of the ordinary, especially since we have been forwarned that 2012 may also find DVC points reservations severely limited as well. I am adopting a "wait and see" approach myself.

I have just booked a cruise tonight using points for 4 night cruise on the Dream 23rd October 2011. The rep was brilliant and I had no indication of the lack of availabilty - glad I did not read this thread beforehand though as I would have been really nervous LOL :)

Denise :cool1:

I have just booked a cruise tonight using points for 4 night cruise on the Dream 23rd October 2011. The rep was brilliant and I had no indication of the lack of availabilty - glad I did not read this thread beforehand though as I would have been really nervous LOL :)

Denise :cool1:

Congrats. The availability issue prevented members from booking anything on the Dream through Sept 2011. October 2011 has always been fine (since the start of the whole fiasco). We had called 2 days after the policy change and inquired about the sailing dates available for the Dream.

Any new info by members trying to turn cash reservations to points for sailings before October 2011?

Thanks, maminne

Any new info by members trying to turn cash reservations to points for sailings before October 2011?

Thanks, maminne

I booked last week, but I had sent an email to member satisfaction (the link is in an early post on this thread). They called me back and changed our cash reservation on the Dream in April to points. If you already have a cash reservation they do seem to be working with people. Not sure why some can and some can't. But you do have to contact the right people. Member services won't help at all. Good luck.

We would like for my sister to come with us using their points. Unfortunately they didn't book a cash reservation so now I don't think they will be able to use their points. They are going to rent them instead and book cash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter