• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magical Express to end in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try RV’ing first couple of days kids will hate it, after that if you go to some of the amazing national parks kids will be begging to extend the trip. Lots to see if you just look, Make sure you have a goto telescope and binoculars as well.

I’m a tent camper. I’m hitting three to four NPs this year. RVs are way too much work.

For astronomy a good Dob is the way to go for the money.

You know, I got the Disney Life magazine special for Christmas, and it's been eye-opening. All those of us who have complained about corporate greed, and how Disney would be rolling in his grave...

Turns out, probably not so much. Now, while he certainly was more willing to spend money on the parks, and keep prices more affordable for the guest than the current management does, Disney himself was just as shrewd, at times cold-hearted of an employer as currently management. He had no qualms at all in paying his employees pittance, while he and others raked in the cash. It was a bit painful to have that image I had of him ruined. I had really wanted to see him as the warm, caring, benevolent employer who treated employees fairly etc...one not concerned with profit.
I'm not sure that all of that is accurate. I read the Neil Gabler biography of Walt Disney and it didn't paint the same picture. He was shrewd and demanding of his employees, too much so. He also tried to crush a push for the animators to unionize. However, the biography painted a picture of Walt as a guy who didn't really concern himself with money. That was Roy's job. I took from the book that Walt was a creative who always wanted to push the envelope and often it was finances that hemmed him in.

I'm not sure that all of that is accurate. I read the Neil Gabler biography of Walt Disney and it didn't paint the same picture. He was shrewd and demanding of his employees, too much so. He also tried to crush a push for the animators to unionize. However, the biography painted a picture of Walt as a guy who didn't really concern himself with money. That was Roy's job. I took from the book that Walt was a creative who always wanted to push the envelope and often it was finances that hemmed him in.

We're basically saying the same thing 😉 As far as accuracy, it would be very accurate as the salaries were all public record, and the strike was certainly well documented, and the reasons for it. I didn't mean to imply he was a numbers guy (hence why I said he would certainly spend more freely than current management, lol), but that... he had no problem raking in a huge amount of money while many of his employees were barely making enough to survive. It's no different than any other mega-corporation of course, but that's one of the huge issues in American (the world) today, and I will always consider that a bit cold-hearted.

We're basically saying the same thing 😉 As far as accuracy, it would be very accurate as the salaries were all public record, and the strike was certainly well documented, and the reasons for it. I didn't mean to imply he was a numbers guy (hence why I said he would certainly spend more freely than current management, lol), but that... he had no problem raking in a huge amount of money while many of his employees were barely making enough to survive. It's no different than any other mega-corporation of course, but that's one of the huge issues in American (the world) today, and I will always consider that a bit cold-hearted.
Yeah, I agree we're saying the same thing. One small difference though, Walt didn't concern himself with the money he was getting paid. Roy always made sure he got paid. It was also Roy's idea for Walt to license his name to the company as a way to make sure that Walt's family would be covered financially if something were to happen to Walt.

Yeah, I agree we're saying the same thing. One small difference though, Walt didn't concern himself with the money he was getting paid. Roy always made sure he got paid. It was also Roy's idea for Walt to license his name to the company as a way to make sure that Walt's family would be covered financially if something were to happen to Walt.

True, but you can't tell me Walt, as owner of the company was ignorant to what he was making vs. what others were getting paid - ESPECIALLY after the employees brought their concerns to Walt. So... while he may not have set the salaries, he had the power to change them, and refused to.

I’m a tent camper. I’m hitting three to four NPs this year. RVs are way too much work.

For astronomy a good Dob is the way to go for the money.

only issue with a Dobsonian is its size 10x50binoculars with light tripod is ideal for kids, if bit more advanced a meade etx-90 is way go esp since you cam set up on table - we should take this to camping forum bc we are off topic

You know, I got the Disney Life magazine special for Christmas, and it's been eye-opening. All those of us who have complained about corporate greed, and how Disney would be rolling in his grave...

Turns out, probably not so much. Now, while he certainly was more willing to spend money on the parks, and keep prices more affordable for the guest than the current management does, Disney himself was just as shrewd, at times cold-hearted of an employer as currently management. He had no qualms at all in paying his employees pittance, while he and others raked in the cash. It was a bit painful to have that image I had of him ruined. I had really wanted to see him as the warm, caring, benevolent employer who treated employees fairly etc...one not concerned with profit.

the difference being Walt several time mortgaged everything he owned to finance some Disney project he put himself personally on the line. Something that Iger or Chapek would never do.

Walt was a creative genius but by no means was or is a candidate for sainthood. But also remember that for him money was the toolkit to realize his creative dreams not simply to hoard it like Flintheart Glomgold.

only issue with a Dobsonian is its size 10x50binoculars with light tripod is ideal for kids, if bit more advanced a meade etx-90 is way go esp since you cam set up on table - we should take this to camping forum bc we are off topic
At least, now I know what a "Dob" is :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter